HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2001, 01:58 PM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,587 Posts
Brett,

The Cutie has one of the easiest equipment installations around. You shouldn't have any problems putting it together first, then doing the radio/motor installation.

I do have several suggestions:

1. It's kinda hard to cover around the cockpit/radio area once the wing supports have been installed. You might want to pre-cover the formers at the front and rear of the radio area before you put it together.

2. Install the elevator and rudder control rods before you cover the turtle deck. You can do it afterwards, but it's easier if you do it before.

SR will ship you a battery with Deans already installed, as will many other vendors.

Good luck with your Cutie!

Mickydee
mickydee is online now Find More Posts by mickydee
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2001, 02:35 PM
Bellport, NY, USA
Joined Apr 2000
1,219 Posts
Hi Brett...

I'm going to hold off commenting on how easy a Cutie is to build and install all the stuff because I think it will have more credibility coming from people who built one rather than the guy that designed and sells it. However, I can comment that we'll be glad to substitue Deans Ultra connectors for Sermos at no extra charge.

We usually have a 30 day window to order the power system at the special price after you order the Cutie kit. However, being that Christmas is coming and I suspect there will be many people like you, just mention it when you place the order and we'll extend the time period until Christmas for ordering the power system.

Larry
Larry @ SR is offline Find More Posts by Larry @ SR
Old Sep 09, 2001, 03:34 PM
He wasn't always evil
SW Wisconsin
Joined Jul 2001
1,042 Posts
Hey sounds great Larry,
Thanks for the info Mickydee,

What I might do is just hold off till x-mas anyway to get the whole Cutie package, especially if I can use HS-81 servos in it. Is this around the right size? I think its recomended that you go smaller than that. I would like to use the radio system thats in my Zagi 400X. This would give me some time to fix up my Zagi and put on some extra features. Maybe this way I can get that I.F.O I always wanted for B-Day, and a Cutie for X-mas, plus referbish my Zagi. I don't know sounds too good to be true!

Thanks!!
-Brett
AirVenture is offline Find More Posts by AirVenture
Old Sep 09, 2001, 04:10 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
If you don't have family over on Christmas day, you'll have the entire model built and ready to cover the day you open it! The covering takes about 4 hours, equipment installation the same.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Sep 09, 2001, 05:39 PM
He wasn't always evil
SW Wisconsin
Joined Jul 2001
1,042 Posts
Not me...it took me 14 hours over two days to build my Zagi 400X! I'm pretty slow

-Brett
Old Sep 09, 2001, 08:25 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Takes about that long to really take a 400 from the box to the air. About the same with the Cutie or X250 - possibly a couple more hours because you actually have to glue stuff together..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Sep 09, 2001, 08:30 PM
Box Elder,SD
Joined Jul 2001
63 Posts
Ok, who sells the Cutie, and how much for the kit/ full package?

Jerry in South Dakota
jfelts303 is offline Find More Posts by jfelts303
Old Sep 09, 2001, 09:01 PM
He wasn't always evil
SW Wisconsin
Joined Jul 2001
1,042 Posts
Larry @ SR sells them
http://www.srbatteries.com/cutie.htm

Kit $99
Power Package $169
Old Sep 10, 2001, 12:31 AM
Joined Aug 2001
2,587 Posts
AV,

You can use the Hitec 81's, but you will have to open up the servo tray to do it. It will be alot easier to do if you do it before the tray is installed in the plane.

I was going to use Hitec 81's too, then discovered the above after my Cutie was built. I went ahead and ordered the recommended servos and used them instead.

Good Luck, Mickydee
Old Sep 10, 2001, 12:54 AM
He wasn't always evil
SW Wisconsin
Joined Jul 2001
1,042 Posts
Quick Cutie Question

Hey guys I was just wondering how easy it is to completely assemble the SR Cutie, and then add all the electrical equipment. I'm asking this because I want to plan it so I get the kit for my birthday...build it...then get the electrical and radio systems for X-mas. If Santa is nice enough . Think this is possible? Oh, and can I get the battery that comes in the Cutie power pack with a deans ultra connector? Let me know!

-THANKS!
-Brett
Old Sep 10, 2001, 03:45 PM
Bellport, NY, USA
Joined Apr 2000
1,219 Posts
Shame, shame, shame!!!

And I quote from page #7 of the 104 page instruction manual... "Servo Mounting Tray... ! Now is the time to trial fit your servos into the servo mounting tray. We've already sized the plate for the MPI 50HP servo that we highly recommend for the Cutie, but it will be easy for you to adjust the tray for other brands of servos. We've left plenty of extra material in the plate so just open the hole until it fits the servos you're going to use."

Why do I bother??????????

Larry
Old Sep 10, 2001, 04:36 PM
He wasn't always evil
SW Wisconsin
Joined Jul 2001
1,042 Posts
This is why I make it point to read through the instructions at least once! You'd be surprised what you miss on your first time through. Can't wait to see what the famed Cutie instructions look like! (couldn't get the PDF to work on the SR website).

-Brett
Old Sep 11, 2001, 12:22 PM
Joined Aug 2001
2,587 Posts
Larry,

I'm very lucky in that my dad is a retired aerospace worker who likes to build alot more than fly. I'm married with two small children, so my building time is limited.

So, my dad frames up alot of my projects, (including the Cutie) and I do the covering and equipment installation. That's why I discovered the HS-81's wouldn't fit after the tray had been installed.

Why do you bother? Because the time and effort you put into your kits produces some of the best engineered, best quality kits around! Looking forward to the twin!

Best regards, Mickydee
Old Sep 11, 2001, 01:45 PM
Bellport, NY, USA
Joined Apr 2000
1,219 Posts
Hi Micky...

I hope you understand that I was kidding around. It keeps getting me into trouble!

Larry
Old Sep 11, 2001, 02:14 PM
Joined Aug 2001
2,587 Posts
Larry,

No problem, I didn't take offense. You have a history on this forum of going out of your way to be friendly and helpful.

Any more details about the twin?

Best regards, Mickydee