Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 04, 2014, 10:08 PM
USA, FL, Hudson
Joined Dec 2009
194 Posts
Discussion
Great Planes 1.20 Super Stearman

Hey all,
Just picked up a Super Stearman ARF in Perry and want to set it up for electric. Up until now my larger 1/4 scale planes have all been using the same setup, tacon 160 with 10s. So far I have been reading up on the GP waco 1.20 and it seems they have been having great luck with the Rimfire 1.20 and 5 or 6s. My other option was a Tacon 110 with 8s, which I would also have to buy new batteries for.

I was hoping for some first hand setup info and pictures if possible. I have no problem cutting in a battery hatch in front of the cockpit if battery placement would work out. I like the idea of the low voltage setup and a single 5 or 6 cell, just seems hard to believe it can do the same job as a 110 with 8s.

I also picked up a pica waco 1.20 with a G26, but I'm saving that one until after the stearman is up and running.

Thanks,
Troy
Troy S is offline Find More Posts by Troy S
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2014, 02:36 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,712 Posts
Whats the expected all up weight, or at least a best guess. Stearman need good thrust but not excess speed, they are so draggy, it is not going to get fast without great gobs of power. 100w/lb would be more than enough to fly as intended. Remember, the real one cruising speed is 85mph, its top speed is 85 mph and it lands at 85 mph!!!
Give us some dimesions for those of us who don't know already. I flew a 9lb 66" biplane with a Rimfire 55 (480kv) on a 15/8 prop, had plenty of power on 6S for normal flights and big loops!. How big a prop can you easily spin? Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old Mar 05, 2014, 04:36 PM
USA, FL, Hudson
Joined Dec 2009
194 Posts
Thanks for the reply Doug. From GP's website looks like 13 to 15 pounds, they show the waco as 12 to 14 so it should be fairly close in the end. The Rimfire shows 1480 watts constant and 2360 burst and sport flyers up to 14.5 pounds.

I've read guys are flying the waco on 5s with around a 16 or 17 inch prop at 1/2 throttle with well past scale performance. They also say a power 110 on 8s is more power then the plane can handle. I currently fly my 20cc taylorcraft on a 160 with 10s and a 18x10 prop, it's a great setup but pretty heavy. Just looking for the best way to go from some experiance.
Old Mar 06, 2014, 10:33 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,712 Posts
I just looked up the plane and motor to get a better idea. The 1.20 motor should handle the plane without issue as long as you intend to fly like a real Stearman, ie scale performance. I'd use the biggest 6S battery you can get easily, at least a 5000mah/ and 40C rated. As usual, GP "burst"(2300w) ratings are for the birds! Even the continuous rating is a little high (1800watts) imo, but it should be able to handle 1500 ok. Choosing a lightweight designed for electric wood prop like a Zoar 17/6 would help too. I'd pick and Esc of at least 100A, preferably not a "LITE" if your going with a Castle. Make sure the esc is in direct airflow, even if you have to build in duct work to get it. If the face of the motor is totally exposed thru the faux radial, it should get adequate air without any issues if there is no spinner. Grossly over powering a Stearman will lead to more trouble than its worth. As mentioned, they like to fly at their own leisure. Good luck, and please show us your progress here Doug B
Old Mar 06, 2014, 03:59 PM
USA, FL, Hudson
Joined Dec 2009
194 Posts
After some more reading I decided to try the 1.20. I went with the zoar electric 17x8 and a 120 amp esc. I plan on starting the build next week so I'll let you know how it ends up.
Old Mar 06, 2014, 06:18 PM
USA, VA, Arlington
Joined Jul 2002
421 Posts
I have converted two of these beauties and they are among my all time favorites. Setup using AXI 5330 driving a 21 inch Mejzlik carbon prop drawing from two TP5300 mAH 5s lipos in serial for 10s to the motor. AUW of that plane is about 16 lbs. More than scale speed but not 3d. The plane balances without additional weight in the nose. Battery access was via the bottom wing so changing batteries is a PAIN on a bipe. I did at least 3 pack changes most flights because it was worth it!
LaxLife is offline Find More Posts by LaxLife
Old Mar 06, 2014, 09:07 PM
USA, FL, Hudson
Joined Dec 2009
194 Posts
I haven't really started looking at the fuselage yet, figured I would start when the motor gets in. I'm hoping with the 6s setup I will be able to make a hatch just behind the cowl. Do you have your batteries all the way forward ? If so I think I'm gonna be short some weight.
Old Mar 06, 2014, 10:11 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,712 Posts
The short nose on the Stearman may very well require more nose weight to balance! Make it work for you by using 2 batteries in parallel. Doug B
Old Mar 07, 2014, 07:24 AM
USA, FL, Hudson
Joined Dec 2009
194 Posts
Great point, was thinking a 6s 5000, but I have a pair of 6s 4000's that could do the job.
Old Mar 08, 2014, 02:01 PM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,004 Posts
Troy S, your in good company, I started my GP WACO conversion last week after sitting on it for a year or so. My power option plan is to use the E-Flite P-110, CC Edge 100 ESC with 8 cells in series for the power supply. I reckoned I would build the airframe up first to see where it needs the weight to balance, then do the battery compartment mods. My reckoning, right or wrong, is its better to have the extra power and not need it than want the extra power and not have it. I'm used to flying most of my models at half throttle anyway, so with a little discipline I can manage the throttle just fine. This is my first conversion, so like you I have a lot to learn and welcome any constructive criticism, suggestions openly. Good luck with your build, will keep an eye on the thread.
Rem Fodder is online now Find More Posts by Rem Fodder
Old Mar 08, 2014, 08:54 PM
USA, FL, Hudson
Joined Dec 2009
194 Posts
Hi Rem, I think I might start on it tomorrow. Ill try to remember to take a bunch of pics as I go. Good luck on your build to.
Old Jul 05, 2014, 06:16 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,478 Posts
I scored a super deal on a slightly blemmed but new on box GP Super Stearman at a swap meet earlier this year. Started it last week and it is mostly done except for the power system.

Going to use a Tacon 110, Castle 85 amp ESC, 8s 4000-5000 lipos.

It will have some sort of battery hatch added. Might be installed in the upper fuse between the cabane struts, or I might modify the cowling to get battery access to mounts on the front of the firewall,
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Jul 05, 2014, 08:37 PM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,263 Posts
Battery Hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
It will have some sort of battery hatch added. Might be installed in the upper fuse between the cabane struts, or I might modify the cowling to get battery access to mounts on the front of the firewall,
Here is what I did to my Waco-60. Very carefully cut with a #11 razor knife. Took some balls to actually do it but it turn out great.
Iflyrc_vic is online now Find More Posts by Iflyrc_vic
Old Jul 18, 2014, 11:19 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,478 Posts
Working along on the Super Stearman. I decided to make mine a little more unique and make the bottom noticeably different from the top...
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Jul 19, 2014, 05:54 AM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
Working along on the Super Stearman. I decided to make mine a little more unique and make the bottom noticeably different from the top...
Looks great. I am working on a Seagull Cesna 337 Skymaster. I also have a Kyosho Super Stearman (50") that is next on the list.

Keep us posted on the GP Stearman.

BTW - what is the RED plane in the background. Is that a Staggerwing?
Vic
Iflyrc_vic is online now Find More Posts by Iflyrc_vic
Last edited by Iflyrc_vic; Jul 19, 2014 at 07:18 AM.