Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 26, 2014, 07:08 AM
Joined Apr 2014
142 Posts
Its up and running. All problems sorted, the non running tail was due to some metal shavings being caught between stator and bell (I have the work ethics of an old drunk plumber). It actually runs perfect and flies awesome. Since this will be my relax flier, has a 12000kv motor.
Let me introduce the rest of the stuff:

1. HK 10A esc for main, non governed
2. Applauses for the new Supermicro MX-3A (old one being 3.5A), ultra light weight, and comes with DMP and DMN fets from factory
3. Aeo M5 12000kv motor
4. Hextronix 2g 7700kv outrunner for tail Hot Glue© Edition®
5. Turnigy Nanotech Puffed® Series

Yep. Reportedly the Hextronic ( Hot Glue© Edition®) was inneficient, running hot (HK forum) and cause massive tail blowouts (Joeclone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeclone View Post
Sorry to tell you that you just blew 10 bucks on that tiny motor, I've tried it before and it's hardly good for hovering and blow out big time on any pitch up. Maybe keep it for a small foamie.
No tail blowouts at all. Tail holds like a champ. Perhaps running a mild main motor and extended boom helps the tail a lot. Not sure if the 42mm Lynx prop has anything to do with it. Also, no wagging. After 6:30 minutes of hovering using Turnigy Nanotech Puffed® Series, battery voltage was 3.5v. So its not inneficient either. Maybe I got a good one, dunno. This heli isnt for 3D so it`ll do.

To honour the thread, took some semi decent pics.

Hugo Stiglitz is offline Find More Posts by Hugo Stiglitz
Last edited by Hugo Stiglitz; Jul 26, 2014 at 07:15 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:03 AM
Joined Jan 2013
1,347 Posts
It's strange how you're able to get the 2g to work on your tail coz my expeience with it was a total failure, how do you fly with it?
joeclone is offline Find More Posts by joeclone
Old Jul 26, 2014, 02:30 PM
New Zealand
Joined Jan 2013
809 Posts
Nice work.
EchoRaven is offline Find More Posts by EchoRaven
Old Jul 26, 2014, 03:21 PM
Joined Apr 2014
142 Posts
Quote:
It's strange how you're able to get the 2g to work on your tail coz my expeience with it was a total failure
Judging by its size, rating and thrust, all compared to HK 12000kv tail motor I was a bit skeptical as well. But it works. Extended boom helps with leverage. Hasnt got the speed, but torquey enough to not bog with slightly bigger prop, and I think this combo makes it sit in its sweet spot for it to hold the tail.

Quote:
how do you fly with it?
All over the place, I said it before, Im a terrible pilot, as refined with the sticks as a former butcher serving a $100 dish on his first day in a classy restaurant. If mad pitch pumps caused no tbo, thats more than good enough for me. Thats not to say the tail would still hold with a 13500kv and up main.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 07:09 PM
Joined Apr 2014
142 Posts
Made a decent support for the tail motor. Hot glue method was flaring my ocd really bad, since the motor was sitting at an angle.
I cut the linkage guides off a broken 9958 rotor head, drilled the inside to bigger diameter, and slid the motor in the hole (where the main shaft used to be). Since the rotor head is a bit smaller than a stock 7mm tail motor, it only took one bit of heatshrink around it to make it a snug fit. Now its perfect. Pitch pumped with a fully charged 500mah cell and then again 7 minutes later when the cell was drained, no tbo or any sign of it at all. Me happy.

Tomorrow starting work on the 2s. Have the motors, both esc's and will order a stepdown converter. Decided against the 10A Plush since will be running a 1s tail and no way the Plush can supply enough current for mainboard, servos and tail. Need a solid 2-3A stepdown. Or a 2s tail motor. Or is it ok to supply a 1s tail with 8v without rewinding (not confident and really pushing my luck with all the time spent on the helis). Its the 12000kv tail from HK.
Last edited by Hugo Stiglitz; Jul 26, 2014 at 07:30 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:55 AM
Joined Jan 2013
1,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Stiglitz View Post
Or is it ok to supply a 1s tail with 8v without rewinding (not confident and really pushing my luck with all the time spent on the helis). Its the 12000kv tail from HK.
]
It's your motor bearings that would burn out before the windings with that high a voltage.
Old Yesterday, 06:09 AM
Joined Apr 2014
142 Posts
Right. Dont want that. So I can`t order a 2s tail from HK cause they only stock them lately in the Int warehouse and takes ages to get here. Dont want to burn a good tail motor either by feeding it twice the voltage. Stepdown, I have found a place selling the Murata dc-dc converter, but thatd be too many wires in a such small area, hate clutter.
I guess the hcp100 will be getting the hk12000kv tail, and ordering a trex150 2s tail motor for the 2s heli, that I can buy it locally. And back to the Plush 10A esc from HK.

Edit: was ready to place the order aaaand...fkn sweet. Have to wait.

Last edited by Hugo Stiglitz; Yesterday at 06:28 AM.
Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM
Joined Apr 2014
142 Posts
I have suddenly lost all performance of my heli. There was no 'pop' anymore today. I thought ok, the tail is struggling and drawing too much power. So i removed it and reinstalled the brushed motor before anything. Same thing. Cells drain fast, they go from 4.2 to 3.8v in less than 2 minutes, at which point theres no power to keep it in air. Checked 4 different lipos.
Checked for shorts but everything checks out and both escs are cool. The batteries are cool which is strange considering the huge current draw...from somewhere.
Couldnt touch main motor but its connector was hot. Is it a short in the main motor?
Getting fed up, this motor has less than 50 hours on it with zero 3d. Heli was new when I installed it and servos dont even need their first cleaning yet, thats how new it still is.
I now only have an brushed mcpx with a worn main motor to fly lol. That motor is 2 years old. The brusless motor in the hcp is 6 months old. Why did i go brushless again?
Could it be the esc? Got the motor out and ran it in my hand for 5 minutes, seems fine.
Edit: checked the lipos with the mcpx, they are fine.
Last edited by Hugo Stiglitz; Yesterday at 01:24 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:48 PM
New Zealand
Joined Jan 2013
809 Posts
Its far more likely to be friction sum where like bad gear mesh or motor touching servos.
Old Yesterday, 04:14 PM
Joined Apr 2014
142 Posts
The mesh is absolutely perfect and hasnt changed, its not physically possible. Got the motor out and cant see any sign of burning or discoloration on the windings. Measured the resistance between all 3 windings, got 6 ohms across all 3, that doesnt say much but at least its not a blatantly obvious short.
Getting the same very fast less than 2 min discharge with brushed and brushless tail, so its not the tail motor either, but getting 8+ minutes on a brushed mcpx using the same cells, so those are good aswell. The main motor runs smooth, no stuttering, fast acceleration and brake. The motor isnt touching anything, servos have 2mm spacers, plenty of clearance.
This beats me. Any ideas?
Old Yesterday, 06:50 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,347 Posts
Have you made sure the screws into the motor mounts are not too long that they're touching the rotor? Are the motor connectors ok, not too loose...or else try flowing some solder over the pins before inserting. Other than that I could only advice you to check your wiring, coz sometimes something might be touching and shorthing out when mounted in the heli and freed up when you tested on the bench.
Old Today, 02:44 AM
Joined Apr 2014
142 Posts
The screws are absolutely fine, barely reach halfway between mount and stator, not touching anything. Im ordering today an mcpx bl tail motor, as its the only 2s tail in stock anywhere in the uk, no one has the trex 150 motor except aligntrex.uk but theyre on holiday.

Will also order 2s batteries and 2x 1s nanotechs to rule out the batteries. Someone said the nanotechs are sht if not used often, and mine have been shelved for 3+ weeks before this weekend, 2 of them puffed while in storage.

Thing is, im not ordering another 1s motor as I know I wont be using it anymore once my 2s is up and running.
Wiring not touching anywhere, first thing I checked. If it was touching before the escs, battery would get hot quick. If its after escs, then those would get hot, but everything is cool to touch.
Theres just one thing. While testing the motor in my hand, it was really easy to slow it down with two fingers, and it took very little pressure to make it stop completely, at which point i could feel the esc cutting power. This was with the battery charged at 4.1v. Lvc is set to 3.4v. Somehow I find it strange for the voltage to drop from 4 to 3.4 that easy. It stopped waaaay easier than it takes to stop the stock brushed motor. I felt no struggle at all.

I was also quick to remove the motor and shout "fault", before proper testing with stock hcp cells and the 500mah cells from bg. Only tested with 5x nanopuffs, but those were giving me 4-5 minutes 3 weeks ago.
Old Today, 03:06 AM
New Zealand
Joined Jan 2013
809 Posts
What motor is you main? If you don't mind waiting oversky are selling the trex 150 motors cheap.
Old Today, 04:48 AM
Joined Apr 2014
142 Posts
M5 12000kv
Thanks for the tip, but shipping is $6 and that works out to same price as buying from here and having it delivered the next day. Checked again, not one store has it in stock.
Also, can`t find a 1s M5 (or any motor to fit) to save my life.

Edit: sorry to bug the thread with my problems. But just to update, its not the nanopuffs. Does the same thing with stock batteries, which are just a few months old, and have very very few cycles on them. I got 3 minutes out of them with gentle flying and no canopy, but flight time quickly decreses to ONE minute and a few seconds if I go berzerk on the collective (no canopy to quickly check temps). This things now draws MORE current than a 16000 kv Spin outrunner!!! Same as the nanotechs, when the heli comes down, they show 3.82v. At this voltage I used to get 2 more minutes of flying til 3.7v. When it comes down, the battery is a bit warm. But the esc, motor and servos are cool to lip touch. Used the brushed tail for tests as I know I had very consistent 5 minutes flght times with it.
This makes so little sense that im not gonna bother with it until I have loads of time to go remove bl setup, go back to brushed to test mainboard and servos, then replace main ESC, then main motor if its not the formers causing the trouble.

Im shelving the heli for now, have to setup my CopterX, and this week should have my 2s cells and tail motor for the 2s heli, will concentrate on these 2.
Last edited by Hugo Stiglitz; Today at 08:25 AM.
Old Today, 09:14 PM
Argentina, BA, Gonnet
Joined Sep 2013
68 Posts
Hi Hugo

I have the same main motor with xp3A esc and are only warm after the 5 minutes of flight. The 10 A esc shouldn`t be hot after a few minutes.
Maybe reflashing the esc...

My setup,

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...mentid=6970120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Stiglitz View Post
M5 12000kv
Thanks for the tip, but shipping is $6 and that works out to same price as buying from here and having it delivered the next day. Checked again, not one store has it in stock.
Also, can`t find a 1s M5 (or any motor to fit) to save my life.

Edit: sorry to bug the thread with my problems. But just to update, its not the nanopuffs. Does the same thing with stock batteries, which are just a few months old, and have very very few cycles on them. I got 3 minutes out of them with gentle flying and no canopy, but flight time quickly decreses to ONE minute and a few seconds if I go berzerk on the collective (no canopy to quickly check temps). This things now draws MORE current than a 16000 kv Spin outrunner!!! Same as the nanotechs, when the heli comes down, they show 3.82v. At this voltage I used to get 2 more minutes of flying til 3.7v. When it comes down, the battery is a bit warm. But the esc, motor and servos are cool to lip touch. Used the brushed tail for tests as I know I had very consistent 5 minutes flght times with it.
This makes so little sense that im not gonna bother with it until I have loads of time to go remove bl setup, go back to brushed to test mainboard and servos, then replace main ESC, then main motor if its not the formers causing the trouble.

Im shelving the heli for now, have to setup my CopterX, and this week should have my 2s cells and tail motor for the 2s heli, will concentrate on these 2.
DanielRC2 is online now Find More Posts by DanielRC2
Last edited by DanielRC2; Today at 09:22 PM.