Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:37 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2012
515 Posts
Discussion
LaserBGC new 2-gram micro 5.8G VTx Fatshark and Boscam frequencies

This is the beta 8-channel (4 Boscam & 4 NexwaveRF) VTx 5.8G micro module TX5810-100 that was sent out by LaserBGC to 17 RCGroup people for testing - Thank you LaserBGC for involving us in developing your products. LaserBGC also carried out similar beta testing for their Fatshark compatible 1.3G VRx http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2000777
That 1.3G VRx turned out to be highly sought after they're selling like the proverbial hotcake.

1st quick test, using a separate 1S 90mAh video battery. I will be trying it with a Pololu ste-up voltage booster There's also a 5V voltage booster only, I prefer the step-up/step-down as I noticed better filtering in my applications.

Setup:
Aircraft: Blade nQx / WL Toys V929 Frankenquad
Camera: 520TVL Mini FPV Camera 90 degree angle 3.6-24V
VTx: LaserBGC micro 8-channel Fatshark/Boscam module
Voltage regulator: Pololu S7V7F5 step up/step down regulator
Goggles: Fatshark Dominators w/ version 2 FS 5.8G VRx
DVR: RMRC FPV1000 DVR

Optional/Alternate power supply
Video battery: Turnigy nano-tech 90mah 1S 15C Round Lipo

Edit:
Rough diagram of typical wiring. There are several way of connecting your FPV setup. This is how I connected mine

Please keep in mind I'm sharing beta test results and as such it should not be considered as a review of a final product because the manufacturer may still incorporate changes to the final parts.

Initial observations - hopefully other testers will post their results here so we can have a cosolidated thread rather than multiple threads about the same item
- Superlight!
- Includes nice and extremely light CL antenna
- Works with Fatshark NexWaveRF frequencies
- When powered-up it doesn't remember in which channel it was tuned. I noticed mine alternated between the high and low channels on my goggles. It would be nicer if it stayed in the last-used channel. However, for me this is only a minor quirk, it's not that hard to press the buttons on the goggles a few times and I'll gladly deal with a small inconvenience such as pressing buttons in exchange for ultrasuper light weight.

I still need to do tests using the 5v booster to see how it works at the full 5v. I was using a single cell LiPo.

Here's a quick test I did today, it was a bit windy in between the buildings and these WL929 quads struggle in gusty conditions.

camera seems to be little out of focus, I need to check it next time.
Testing micro NexWaveRF/Boscam 5.8G 50mW VTx (2 min 0 sec)

Specs and instructions from LaserBGC

http://www.laserbgc.com/download/TX5810-100.pdf

Some other relevant posts by other who are beta testing these modules:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=687

Lenin's setup on the scale

Lougedo's first test:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=686

Picofly's on scale & test (also posted here by him- thanks!)
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=675
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=683

Johnnymeg's unboxing video
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=747
EngineerX is offline Find More Posts by EngineerX
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by EngineerX; Mar 21, 2014 at 03:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2014, 01:18 AM
Joined Sep 2012
515 Posts
I'm flying with the stock power setting @50mW. I'm too chicken to set it higher. Has anyone done that yet? Worth it?

Went out today but was a bit windy, the WL929 frame doesn't do that well in windy conditions.
I flew out to 200 meters, this field is quite noisy. My 600mW IRC VTx cuts out @ 280 meters, same for the Boscam 32 channel VTx/Rx

I'm liking this VTx. Video image is clear and its weight is just what you need for micro aircraft, perfect for parkflyers. I did about 5 times today, I get about 7 minutes per battery. Video downlink was very consistent and "oddly" this time the channel on the VTx remained tuned to last channel used after switching batteries more often. Again, that's something I can live with in exchange for clear video and low weight.

Here's another quick video. The grainy video is from interference that the Blade nQx FC board spews out. It's a noisy board. I'm using a Pololu 5v booster this time and I even added a 33uF capacitor to reduce motor/ESC noise. I noticed that the capacitor has the additional benefit of maintaining the last channel used for about 8~10 seconds, so if you do a quick battery change, your VRx should tune to the channel you were using. This time I'm flying with single flight battery + Pololu 5v booster/regulator. I didn't notice much difference in my limited testing, so let's see other reports using straight 1S connection vs. 5v regulator.

I was able to fly together with someone else using 5.8G Boscam band E = 5705MHz while I was using Airwave band F = 5740/5800MHz. I ddin't notice any crosstalk.

Actual video in my goggles and computer file looks way better than this YouTube video, The conversion YT is using seems to be pixelating and degrading quality quite a bit.

5.8G micro VTx testing (1 min 23 sec)

Here's my test platform:

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by EngineerX; Jan 23, 2014 at 02:12 AM. Reason: New video
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:58 PM
Joined Jul 2012
65 Posts
I finally got to try mine on the weekend, I mounted it on a foam park flyer I built last year. I don't have any video (broke my dvr) but it worked perfect for my set up definitely going to buy another when they are available.
mrderp is online now Find More Posts by mrderp
Old Jan 20, 2014, 01:06 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,185 Posts
Looking forward to some more reports on this. I have a couple planes and small quads in mind for this little vtx.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Jan 21, 2014, 02:31 AM
Joined Sep 2012
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
Looking forward to some more reports on this. I have a couple planes and small quads in mind for this little vtx.
Yes, hopefully weīll see more posts and different uses (quads, planes) and different setups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrderp View Post
I finally got to try mine on the weekend, I mounted it on a foam park flyer I built last year. I don't have any video (broke my dvr) but it worked perfect for my set up definitely going to buy another when they are available.
Nice ! Love the Tiger pattern.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by EngineerX; Jan 21, 2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 07:09 AM
Gaui X2 & Protos Mini FBL
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Jan 2008
676 Posts
I tested my 5.8Ghz micro vtx with my Blade 130X FPV setup. Unfortunately, it wasn't a perfect success.

I understood that the transmitter should remember the last chanel used but my unit doesn't. Every time I change the battery I have to push the chanel button eight times to get the video signal back.

Furthermore, range was extremely short - less than 20 meters outdoors. I use a D58-4 four-way diversity receiver with four 10dBi Crosshair antennas and I was expecting to get at least 250-300m range even with the lowest 10mW transmission power because that's what I usually get with a 10mW FPV Hobby vtx. I tested 3 out of 4 Foxtech chanels with similar results until I lost video signal at 20m distance on the test flight number 3 and crashed my heli so I had to cancel the test flights for time being.

When I tested the new vtx indoors it performed just as good or sligthly better than my 10mW FPV Hobby vtx. I wonder do cold weather affect on the new transmitter (calibration etc.)? It was -8 degrees Celsius when I made the test flight outdoors and +21 degrees Ceslius indoors.

The good thing was that the new vtx is less sensitive to interference than 200mW Boscam modules I have used. I use a one lipo setup and power the camera & vtx from the flying battery through a 5V Polulu regulator. The picture was nice and clean without any kind of filtering and didn't get any interference from the esc or motor. Too bad range was too short!

I cross checked that I haven't short-circuited the antenna when I soldered it to pcb and I was very careful when soldering the wires so I guess that I may have a faulty sample. I hope it is only my unit that is faulty because sizewise, this vtx would be perfect for my needs.

EDIT: Problem solved. It was my stupid mistake. The transmitter works as supposed.
Picofly is offline Find More Posts by Picofly
Last edited by Picofly; Mar 24, 2014 at 03:52 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 11:31 AM
Joined Sep 2012
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picofly View Post

.......I understood that the transmitter should remember the last chanel used but my unit doesn't. Every time I change the battery I have to push the chanel button eight times to get the video signal back.
So it appears (until we see more users post their results) that the LBGC 5.8G mVTx (m for micro) defaults to the NexWaveRF (Fatshark) frequencies when powered off/on.
I would only have to cycle my goggle's channels either all the way up to the highest or all the way down to lowest channel and I would tune in to the VTx. In several occasions the VTx would remain in the last channel used.

So for convenience, it would work best if you used VRx's with digital/button channel selector like the Fatshark goggles and the RC832 (the newer 32 channel VRx). If you use the older but trusty RC305, it would be a bit frustrating to have to move the dip switches every time you change your battery.

Quote:
Furthermore, range was extremely short - less than 20 meters outdoors. I use a D58-4 four-way diversity receiver with four 10dBi Crosshair antennas and I was expecting to get at least 250-300m range even with the lowest 10mW transmission power because that's what I usually get with a 10mW FPV Hobby vtx. I tested 3 out of 4 Foxtech chanels with similar results until I lost video signal at 20m distance on the test flight number 3 and crashed my heli so I had to cancel the test flights for time being.
I was able to fly out to 200m and I think I could've flown a bit longer. It was a bit windy and the field I was flying is quite noisy, I get about 260 ~ 280m with 600mW ImmersionRC VTx with FS SpiroNet antennas (version 1) and similar distance with Boscam 600mW VTx. Also with 1280MHz video I can only get about 300m (tested with 4 different quads, 2 people)

Quote:
When I tested the new vtx indoors it performed just as good or sligthly better than my 10mW FPV Hobby vtx. I wonder do cold weather affect on the new transmitter (calibration etc.)? It was -8 degrees Celsius when I made the test flight outdoors and +21 degrees Ceslius indoors.

The good thing was that the new vtx is less sensitive to interference than 200mW Boscam modules I have used. I use a one lipo setup and power the camera & vtx from the flying battery through a 5V Polulu regulator. The picture was nice and clean without any kind of filtering and didn't get any interference from the esc or motor. Too bad range was too short!
Same here, I used a Pololu 5V regulator and video is nice and clear and when tested indoors I was able to get reception thru 2 lightframe walls (wood-drywall, not concrete/cement/brick construction)

I think the Pololu 5V regulator acts as filter, I used it without and I was getting lots of interference from ESC's/motors - the Balde nanoQx FC board is very noisy compared to other boards. But it'll be good to see what others use.

Also let's see from others what they get in cold weather use, I would think it shouldn't affect it at -8C and it should actually be better to keep components cooler. But we'll know more as reports are posted.

Quote:
I cross checked that I haven't short-circuited the antenna when I soldered it to pcb and I was very careful when soldering the wires so I guess that I may have a faulty sample. I hope it is only my unit that is faulty because sizewise, this vtx would be perfect for my needs.
Yes, that is crucial. One must inspect all conectors, with magnifying glass preferably, to make sure soldering is good. Best to use fine point tip and go light on the solder.

20m is way too short and given that you have good experience with these type of components (I've seen your PicoFly FPV heli since your first posted way back..) it's quite likely you got a defective unit
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2014, 03:21 PM
Joined Sep 2012
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrderp View Post
Would it be possible for you to share a little more of your experience with the VTx. Things like range - How far did you get? What Frequency channel? How good/clear was the video? Etc
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2014, 04:37 PM
Espaņa, GA, Vigo
Joined Nov 2011
48 Posts
Hi guys,

Iīve done test indoors. Of course, no problem. But I couldnīt to try out, because in Spain did not stop raining. Also, I was waiting to get an external VRX 5.8ghz of boscam. I have the Tbs 5.8ghz rx for Fatshark Dominator, but I think I can not get video out to a dvr.
Another issue was, when I give throttle, I have a lot of interferences. I know, I could put a noise filter, but I chose to add a mini 1s lipo 100 mah for Vtx and cam, that weighs less than the filter.
Now I have the 5.8ghz boscam VRX and connected to a recorder. So I think this weekend the sun rises, so will be able to test and record the results.

Lenin is offline Find More Posts by Lenin
Old Jan 22, 2014, 04:42 PM
Espaņa, GA, Vigo
Joined Nov 2011
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin View Post
Iīve done test indoors. Of course, no problem.
I wanted to say inside the house, my house is small, like 80 m2 (260 foot2, i donīt know if that is correct)
Lenin is offline Find More Posts by Lenin
Old Jan 22, 2014, 06:18 PM
Joined Sep 2012
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin View Post
I wanted to say inside the house, my house is small, like 80 m2 (260 foot2, i donīt know if that is correct)
Yes "indoors" is correct word means inside your house or inside a building, office, or even warehouse.

Hope rain stops so you can go fly and let us know how it went.

By the way, you should be able to connect the A/V cable that came with your FS Dominators and get video output and connect that (I used female/female RCA adapter) to your DVR - it worked well. But could be the TBS Rx doesn't work the same as the FS 5.8G Rx module?

I had same problem with my micro quad puts out alot of noise. I added small 330uF capacitor and it helped a lot. It weighs less than a 100mAh battery but if your aircraft is OK with extra battery then no problem. Also the Pololu 5v regulators help reduce noise in the video.

Lenin, deberias de probar las helices GWS para tu quad. Tienen mas lift
http://www.banggood.com/GWS-EP-5443-...r-p-81818.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...pter_6pc_.html
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by EngineerX; Jan 23, 2014 at 02:59 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 01:44 AM
Joined Sep 2012
515 Posts
Testing power on-channel tuning.
It seems the micro VTx was set to default to Airwave (Fatshark) band ch7 (5860MHz) -at least that's what happens with my test unit. That is good if you use it with Fatshark goggles/VRx.

★Update: switched to Pololu S7V7F5 step up/step down regulator and no need for cap anymore. Video is very clear. The reg i was using was noisier. It was one of the step-up only regulators with a 4th pin used for shutdown. That one is no bueno.

(This could help if noise is still present even after using the Pol Reg) I added a small 33uF capacitor to get rid of noise spewed by the Blade nanoQx FC board I'm using. I noticed that it has a secondary "benefit". While it adds some weight (about 0.3 to 0.5 grams) it helps maintain the last channel used in the VTx for approximately 8~10 seconds since the capacitor remains energized and slowly discharges to the VTx and that is enough to maintain the last used channel. 8 seconds is enough time to do a quick battery change so you don't have to keep pressing buttons or dip switches. So if you can carry an extra 0.3g then you may want to give that a try. Just connect the corresponding cap anode and cathode to the power inputs of the VTx and it also works as somewhat of a filter.

LaserBGC micro 5.8G 50-100mW 2-gram VTx (3 min 16 sec)

33uF 35v cap, that's what I had available, you can use a lower voltage cap and it should be even lighter.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by EngineerX; Feb 08, 2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:56 PM
FPV Dealer,Getting People High
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Sep 2011
902 Posts
OK guys here is my initial review and bench testing videos.

Nano 5.8ghz Video Transmitter for micro quads 50mw (3 min 12 sec)

Nano 5.8ghz VTX and camera setup (1 min 43 sec)
Johnnymeg is online now Find More Posts by Johnnymeg
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Johnnymeg; Jan 26, 2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:54 AM
Dirty Dozen FPV
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Aug 2011
2,474 Posts
Really looking forward to this becoming available to buy! Want.
Wayno Complaino is offline Find More Posts by Wayno Complaino
Old Jan 25, 2014, 08:21 PM
Joined Sep 2012
515 Posts
If you have similar flying skills as me (more like "lack of") then this may happen eventually:
After catching branches on several occasions, the CL antenna gave out. I did have several encounters with branches and the antenna survived, so it is strong enough. This I blame to my flying! - I managed to fix it and reinforce it, hopefully it still performs the same and takes more beatings. So I recommend considering reinforcing the solder joint, the top joint is held by the center coax cable conductor and it will eventually snap after repeated hard hits.

I put a blob of hot glue so it relieves stress from the solder joint when elements get snared by those evil trees!

RCG Plus Member