Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 29, 2013, 12:44 PM
United States, NJ, Sparta Township
Joined Mar 2009
9 Posts
Discussion
Coast guard cutter wanted

Late 50's USCG Point class cutter. Sterling? or Ideal? about 33" long. Molded wood hull. All other parts were wood and had to be assembled. Wtb built or kit.

Gary garygbnj@optonline.net
garygbnj is offline Find More Posts by garygbnj
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2013, 04:01 PM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
1,922 Posts
Micro-Glass makes the hull for this boat in 1/32 scale. That makes it 30.75'' long. They make excellent quality products. CaptCB
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Apr 29, 2013, 04:48 PM
Old Duffer
Joined Feb 2013
205 Posts
Just curious, which one would you build?
Garboard is offline Find More Posts by Garboard
Old Apr 29, 2013, 05:27 PM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
1,922 Posts
I don't know about anyone else, but I will take a glass hull over wood, every time!!
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Apr 29, 2013, 06:43 PM
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,089 Posts
I believe Chuck Steffen also makes a glass hull for the Ideal Coast Guard cutter. He can be reached through the Wisconsion Scale Model Boaters Association. www.wimodelboats.org I believe. Just look under the "CS Hulls" page.

Mark
the goon is offline Find More Posts by the goon
Old Apr 29, 2013, 07:57 PM
Joined Mar 2009
9 Posts
Pt Class Cutter

Thanks for the info but I want a whole kit or completed for r/c.

gary
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:30 PM
Youngstown, Ohio
Joined Jan 2011
56 Posts
I know Loyalhanna Dockyard has re-released the old Dynamic Models semi-kit for the Point Class, may want to check with them.
http://www.staubitzofbuffalo.com/
PointBoat is offline Find More Posts by PointBoat
Old Apr 30, 2013, 02:42 AM
Joined Mar 2009
9 Posts
Dynamic Pt Class Cutter

Thanks for the info. I have only built complete kits. The Dynamic semi-kit includes the hull, cabin, deck and cabin roof. How or where do I get or create the rest of the model? Will there be directions on how to install r/c and electric power?

thanks

gary (NJ)
Old Apr 30, 2013, 03:49 AM
Nickel Belter
Northern Ontario
Joined Jun 2009
865 Posts
There probably isn't a whole kit available.

The semi-kit will come with plans, full size, that show all of the details and the position of the shafts and rudders. Once you know this, you can lay out the rest of the internals yourself. It is no different than building a kit, just with the added step of making your own brackets and holders for the gear.

Being a 'common' scale (1/24) you can use some pre-made fittings such as stanchions, lifeboats, bollards, etc. as well as figures. There are lots of people on these forums who can offer you tips and assistance with things you are unsure of.
ZZ56 is offline Find More Posts by ZZ56
Old Apr 30, 2013, 06:47 AM
Joined Mar 2009
9 Posts
USCG Cutter Point Class

Thanks for the help

gary
Old Apr 30, 2013, 07:10 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garygbnj View Post
Thanks for the info. I have only built complete kits. The Dynamic semi-kit includes the hull, cabin, deck and cabin roof. How or where do I get or create the rest of the model? Will there be directions on how to install r/c and electric power?
thanks gary (NJ)
Gary, you sound like you need one already built, and someone to hold your hand---.

Like somebody else said, what you're looking for simply doesn't exist.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Apr 30, 2013, 11:54 AM
Joined Mar 2009
9 Posts
As I stated originally I would consider buying a completed r/c boat. Your demeaning statement of "hold your hand " was uncalled for as well as your need to repeat what someone else said. As a novice to semi-kits I was asking for info. Typically model building sites are usually helpful and do not demean. I guess you are the exception.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 12:18 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,658 Posts
Well Kap I guess he told you. I agree with Gary that the comment was not in the best interests of the commaraderie generally enjoyed by the members of the forum. However we do tend to jerk each other around on here so Gary may have to be a little less sensitive to our comments. Gary is a new guy here and doesn't know where he can get the model he is looking for. Lets help him out the best we can and gain another good member to our group.
Looks like the model he wants is going to have to be acquired piecemeal and he will have to model the rest by referring to pictures and building some parts from scratch. This is a great way to get into boat building as you learn so much more about the hobby than you would just putting a kit together. Take a stab at it Gary. You never know what you can do until you try.
I have some running gear parts for some of the old kits so I'll look the stuff up and see if I have anything you can use. Meantime post a picture of the boat you want to model and lets see how much we can help you. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: What's a blog for?
Old Apr 30, 2013, 12:29 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,658 Posts
Here is a Point class Coastguard cutter.
Gary if you know that Sterling or Ideal actually made a kit of this boat then all you can do is keep looking on ebay for one that's for sale. Both companies have been out of business for many years now. However if you want to get one of the fiberglass hulls to start with then that would be the best way to go about creating this model. A partial kit is way better than no kit at all. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by norgale; Apr 30, 2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 01:00 PM
Youngstown, Ohio
Joined Jan 2011
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norgale View Post
Looks like the model he wants is going to have to be acquired piecemeal and he will have to model the rest by referring to pictures and building some parts from scratch. This is a great way to get into boat building as you learn so much more about the hobby than you would just putting a kit together. Take a stab at it Gary. You never know what you can do until you try.
I have some running gear parts for some of the old kits so I'll look the stuff up and see if I have anything you can use. Meantime post a picture of the boat you want to model and lets see how much we can help you. Pete
+1, You never know until you try! My first build as an adult was an 82'er built off of a Microglass hull http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1378649 Granted it has been a 11 year project in the making due to kids coming along and having to shelve the project for many diffrent reasons, it is still coming along very slowly.Scratchbuilding looks alot harder than it actually is.
PointBoat is offline Find More Posts by PointBoat