HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:30 PM
Joined Jun 2012
223 Posts
Discussion
Can you recommend a 25" span ARF/RTF Pattern ship?

Hi,

I have a small public park/field near me. It would be very convenient...if I could find something fun to fly there I could get a flight before/after work.

I used to fly a Kaos 10 years ago...it was great w/unlimited vertical and it would knife edge forever. I used to knife-edge that plane for a full tank of gas, 15-20 min.

Can you recommend a foamy Pattern ship that would feel like the Kaos (or even more precise), knife edge, with lots of vertical? I'd prefer a plug-and-play deal so I could just supply Rx and batteries but I have no objection to an ARF as long as it's light (want that vertical ability!!). Also, I hate doing hinges...must be factory hinged.

I have tried the little 15" span Sukohi and I think that's just too small...I can't seem to get it to fly. I'd like something in the 22-30" span range. It could be foamy(preferred) or balsa/ultracoat.

Thanks for your help!!

Andy
sothpaw is offline Find More Posts by sothpaw
Last edited by sothpaw; Dec 16, 2012 at 01:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:44 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,235 Posts
If you're willing to build your own from scratch, go to the Indoor and Micro forum and search for my "140 Percent UMX Extra 300 ** NOW WITH VIDEO ** " thread.

This plane retains all of the great flying characteristics of the stock UMX Extra 300, but I enlarged the dimensions to 22 inch WS, which lowered the flying speed to about 80% of the original. Knife edge, inside and outside loops, etc. are easy. However, snap rolls are a bit too trying for a depron/mylar structure - so stick to the slower Pattern-type maneuvers and you'll be happy.

My original plane was converted to use an AS3X version of the ar6400, but a strong gust of wind blasted it into a tree. All that could be salvaged was the equipment, so after the holidays I am going to build a new airframe for it. I will post a build thread over there and a link to it here.

Another suggestion is the Vision3D by [URL="featherlightrc.com/kits/vision-3d.html"]featherlightrc.com/kits/vision-3d.html[/URL it flies as slow as Alexi Lantsov's or Donatas' planes.
356Jim is offline Find More Posts by 356Jim
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:52 PM
United States, PA, Middletown
Joined Sep 2011
532 Posts
Not really a pattern plane but the crack yak mini (24 inch wingspan, hinged already) might be fun for you: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1786763
wayfaringdreamer is offline Find More Posts by wayfaringdreamer
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:20 PM
Napoleon Ohio
Joined May 2009
61 Posts
If you are going to fly out doors, a depron plane will get beat up pretty quick. You will get a lot more flying out of an Epp foamy.
foamlvr is offline Find More Posts by foamlvr
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:04 PM
Joined Jun 2012
223 Posts
Thanks guys! I'm going to try Horizon's Edge 540 QQQ and see how that goes.
It's about the right wing loading for the small areas I have that are soooo convenient. I'll get a larger electric pattern plane for my club field.
sothpaw is offline Find More Posts by sothpaw