HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:16 AM
Joined Nov 2012
17 Posts
Discussion
Transmitter? (noob)

Hi guys, I will be purchasing an HK-450 kit soon but I dont know what transmitter to get. I am looking for a good one not too pricey but not a junk either. Help?
cds702 is offline Find More Posts by cds702
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:28 AM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
1,944 Posts
Spektrum Dx6i seems to be a favorite for helis, look it up. But that's just one of many.

Generally, you need a minimum 6 ch transmitter to fly a 450.
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:32 AM
Joined Nov 2012
17 Posts
Thanks! You're right there are many. I was looking at a devo 7 from walkera like a true noob I just don't know what the differences are. I will look that one up. thanks again.
cds702 is offline Find More Posts by cds702
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:04 AM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cds702 View Post
Thanks! You're right there are many. I was looking at a devo 7 from walkera like a true noob I just don't know what the differences are. I will look that one up. thanks again.
I had a couple of walkera helis as trainers, and about two years ago I got a wk-2801 so I'd only need to take one radio to the field. An 8 channel ain't cheap, and less than a year after I bought it they discontinued it and released the devo as a replacement. No more receivers available for my radio. A 6 or more channel radio is a long term investment, don't spend your money on a walkera.
karlik is offline Find More Posts by karlik
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:06 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,534 Posts
They sell magic cube now that makes old TX's work with Devo RX. About $20.00. So now you can use 2801
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:03 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
They sell magic cube now that makes old TX's work with Devo RX. About $20.00. So now you can use 2801
I'm aware of that.

The magic cube has an output power of 10mw - the 2801 has an output power of 100mw. The magic cube reduces the output of the transmitter by 90%, reduces the range of the radio by tons and turns a medium quality 8 channel transmitter into a toy 8 channel transmitter. Are you really suggesting it as a solution?

It's a little piece 'o crap that attaches to the back of the transmitter with 2 sided tape - every time you sit the radio down it's the first thing to hit the dirt/wet grass.

It's out of sight and has it's own batteries. I don't like that. (edit - I also see that it charges through a usb adapt, so if you need to recharge in the park or at the field, you need something with a usb port to charge it)

It has a 3.5 mm plug that goes into the trainer port on the rear bottom corner, so every time you sit the radio down you bend the wire to 90 - I think everybody who's ever had a set of headphones with a 3.5mm plug knows what happens next - one of the wires breaks and you have zero control over the heli.

Walkera has a history of discontinuing their products after a very short lifespan, most helis appear to be about 2 or 3 years. When they disco'd the 2801 after a little over a 2 yr lifespan and replaced it with a totally incompatible system, it just made that reputation even worse.
The magic cube is nothing more than a band aid attempt to say "look, we did something - we cut the output power of your expensive radio by 90%, and added a bunch of new places for failure to occur, but at least we offered a solution."

So my question to cds702 is do you want to buy an expensive transmitter knowing that it may very well be disco'd in 2 or 3 years, and then use a flimsy adapter that gives you a 90% tramsmitter output power loss?
karlik is offline Find More Posts by karlik
Last edited by karlik; Nov 11, 2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:26 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,944 Posts
cds702: for cheap 'temporary' computer programmable tx's look at turnigy and flysky (frysky, something xheli). Some of these you have to hook up to a computer to program, or change anything in the future. I got the flysky 6ch at first but sent it back because I set it to mode 3 the ccpm aileron action was opposite, servo reverse didn't fix it, and as a brand noob I didn't know about negative swash afr values, but it could worked... oh and the calibration part of it sucked and didn't work.

More expensive ones, but a lot nicer, are: Futaba, Spektrum, Airtronics, I know I'm forgetting some.

If you plan to stay in the hobby get something good, you'll save money in the long run.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:08 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,436 Posts
My vote goes for spektrum dx7s. A radio with not to much, nor to little at a cost of $250 A radio that you can grow with for years to come.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190698067799...84.m1423.l2649
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:49 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,944 Posts
I paid $300 for my Dx7s! Wow.

EDIT: Oh that's for the tx only, no rx. Building a 450 you're gonna need a rx. I got a ar8000 rx with mine.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:45 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
I paid $300 for my Dx7s! Wow.

EDIT: Oh that's for the tx only, no rx. Building a 450 you're gonna need a rx. I got a ar8000 rx with mine.
I look forward to the upgrades of the dx7s. currently have an original dx7. How do you like the thumb wheel ? easy to navigate your way around ? I hear it can be pretty sensitive.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:02 PM
FPV Noob KD0VMK
United States, MO, Platte City
Joined Jun 2012
387 Posts
If budget is an issue (and since you want an HK450, I assume it is), take a look at the Turnigy 9x at Hobbyking. My buddy has one, and for $50, i'm impressed. It does everything a heli pilot needs, can be programmed at the field, and has room to grow with the extra channels.

The spektrum DX6i is a "nicer" radio in fit and finish, but you'll pay for it.

Or, you could go my route, and pick up an older 72mhz system for dirt cheap. I'm still using a 72mhz JR X-388s on my HK450. It's a very nice radio, it works great, and it cost me next to nothing since everyone is "upgrading" to 2.4 ghz now.
Chubbs is offline Find More Posts by Chubbs
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:14 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu*Xion View Post
I look forward to the upgrades of the dx7s. currently have an original dx7. How do you like the thumb wheel ? easy to navigate your way around ? I hear it can be pretty sensitive.
The wheel felt a little weird at first, but I've gotten used to it. I heard somewhere to always keep your thumb in the middle of the wheel when using it, I guess as opposed to the top or bottom of it. As far as sensitive, pushing it or spinning it, not too bad.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:20 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,944 Posts
chubbs I was going to suggest the turnigy 9x too. People like them, then again there are people who own one that hate it.

Either way if you spend $50, you could've put it toward a dx6i or similar. I'm not saying either is the better option for you, and you could always sell the turnigy 9x as you progress in the hobby. Whatever works for you... do research on the brands mentioned and make an informed decision.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:26 PM
Suspended Account
Mali, Tombouctou, Timbuktu
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlik View Post
I'm aware of that.

The magic cube has an output power of 10mw - the 2801 has an output power of 100mw. The magic cube reduces the output of the transmitter by 90%, reduces the range of the radio by tons and turns a medium quality 8 channel transmitter into a toy 8 channel transmitter. Are you really suggesting it as a solution?

It's a little piece 'o crap that attaches to the back of the transmitter with 2 sided tape - every time you sit the radio down it's the first thing to hit the dirt/wet grass.

It's out of sight and has it's own batteries. I don't like that. (edit - I also see that it charges through a usb adapt, so if you need to recharge in the park or at the field, you need something with a usb port to charge it)

It has a 3.5 mm plug that goes into the trainer port on the rear bottom corner, so every time you sit the radio down you bend the wire to 90 - I think everybody who's ever had a set of headphones with a 3.5mm plug knows what happens next - one of the wires breaks and you have zero control over the heli.

Walkera has a history of discontinuing their products after a very short lifespan, most helis appear to be about 2 or 3 years. When they disco'd the 2801 after a little over a 2 yr lifespan and replaced it with a totally incompatible system, it just made that reputation even worse.
The magic cube is nothing more than a band aid attempt to say "look, we did something - we cut the output power of your expensive radio by 90%, and added a bunch of new places for failure to occur, but at least we offered a solution."

So my question to cds702 is do you want to buy an expensive transmitter knowing that it may very well be disco'd in 2 or 3 years, and then use a flimsy adapter that gives you a 90% tramsmitter output power loss?
I agree. Walkera is a joke and isn't in the slightest interested in looking after their consumers.

They release too much stuff too quickly, and leave us to do all their testing. They care nothing about safety (just look at the magic cube and its high throttle issue on no signal)

To the OP; I use a Spektrum dx6i for my highly regarded models and it has never let me down. The batteries last AGES between changes as well.

From what I hear, the Dx7 and 8 are also very good, but without owning one it would be entirely wrong to offer advice on them.

What's more- I think that I will be in good hands with Horizon hobby should it ever fail me. I hear that they offer a great warranty service.... Something that can't be said about Walkera.
V999D02 is offline Find More Posts by V999D02
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:28 AM
United Kingdom, England, Witham
Joined Feb 2011
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
chubbs I was going to suggest the turnigy 9x too. People like them, then again there are people who own one that hate it.
Owned one, could never get it to work well enough to be confident with it.

Now have a DX6i and an 8ch JR
Go with the DX6i... can pick one up second hand for a little more than the cost of a 9x, with the added bonus that if you outgrow it the resale value is pretty good so you won't loose much if any money
Essex2visuvesi is offline Find More Posts by Essex2visuvesi