HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:35 AM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper1216 View Post
Looking good so far! Thanks for all the pics and descriptions. Just ordered mine last night. Should be here Wednesday. Quick question for you. What size wheels do you think I can fit on there? I'm going to be flying off grass, so the bigger the better.

Viper
Me too.. For the mains a max of 2". too close of tolerance on the nose gear, so without MAJOR work, no upgrade available. See Pics.
sparkie624 is offline Find More Posts by sparkie624
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:48 AM
United States, RI, West Warwick
Joined Mar 2009
200 Posts
Oh boy! What did they give you, 1 1/4 inch mains! I think 2" might work ok, that way there is a bit of wiggle room. Worse case could always belly land it if something got stuck. Is it really heavy? Nose is concerning though...have to play with that one.
viper1216 is offline Find More Posts by viper1216
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:52 AM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
Just noticed... NITROPLANES has a video of it. See it on youtube and you can go full scale. You need to watch this if you are considering this plane.

B60 Duke Twin Engine Plane Review (9 min 33 sec)
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:01 AM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
Quote:
Oh boy! What did they give you, 1 1/4 inch mains! I think 2" might work ok, that way there is a bit of wiggle room. Worse case could always belly land it if something got stuck. Is it really heavy? Nose is concerning though...have to play with that one.
It's flying weight is listed as 88 ounces, that is 5.5 pounds.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:09 AM
Joined Mar 2009
200 Posts
I'm new to electric...is that light enough to belly land without an issue? I ahev all nitro and gas...my planes all weigh up around 10+ pounds. Belly landing is never a good thing! I know I've seen a lot of guys at my field who fly electric and have no gear...this seemed like a much bigger plane than theirs though.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:11 AM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
Quote:
I'm new to electric...is that light enough to belly land without an issue? I ahev all nitro and gas...my planes all weigh up around 10+ pounds. Belly landing is never a good thing! I know I've seen a lot of guys at my field who fly electric and have no gear...this seemed like a much bigger plane than theirs though.
No problem (on grass)... Just land it flat and as slow as you can still maintain control.... I have had to do that before... I would rather belly land than to land with 2 down and 1 up.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:13 AM
Joined Mar 2009
200 Posts
My thoughts exactly. Nothing like cartwheeling down the runway! And it's always when everyone happens to be looking at you!!!
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:14 AM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
Quote:
My thoughts exactly. Nothing like cartwheeling down the runway! And it's always when everyone happens to be looking at you!!!
LOL, you right on that... On this plane, Belly landing may take out the props... But better the props than the wings, tail, fuselage, and any other miscellaneous stuff hanging out there.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:06 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie624 View Post
Just noticed... NITROPLANES has a video of it. See it on youtube and you can go full scale. You need to watch this if you are considering this plane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YyQF...layer_embedded
Thanks for the vid !

Theres lot going on here, looks like it flies very well, pretty squirmy at low speed but that may be the winglets at work.

He warned clearly about getting the props balanced, will you be doing this ?

Its too big to fit in my car ( ).

Is it simply too much hassle to get the wing off and on at the field ?

Want it bad, $200.00 is Very attractive..
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Last edited by Tim B.; Sep 27, 2012 at 12:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:14 PM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B. View Post
Thanks for the vid !

Theres lot going on here, looks like it flies very well, pretty squirmy at low speed but that may be the winglets at work.

He warned clearly about getting the props balanced, will you be doing this ?

Its too big to fit in my car ( ).

Is it simply too much hassle to get the wing off and on at the field ?

Want it bad, $200.00 is Very attractive..
Yes... Going to be Balance the props, but the fact that a commercial for the thing tells you to balance them, really makes me wonder. I hope they are not too far out.

I guess a Chevy Suburban does have advantages of moving planes to the field.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:16 PM
Joined Mar 2009
200 Posts
How do you balance an electric prop? Just sand it or something? I wonder if I would be beteer of just getting newer, better props from the get go.

Big car is always nice...I've got a Chevy Blazer and it transports everything for me. I had a Jackal I used to transport ready to go. Made life easy, but limited the amount of planes I could bring to the field.
Last edited by viper1216; Sep 27, 2012 at 12:17 PM. Reason: added stuff
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:23 PM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
Quote:
How do you balance an electric prop? Just sand it or something? I wonder if I would be beteer of just getting newer, better props from the get go.

Big car is always nice...I've got a Chevy Blazer and it transports everything for me. I had a Jackal I used to transport ready to go. Made life easy, but limited the amount of planes I could bring to the field.
Yes, best way is to sand them down, an alternative cheat is to use CA Glue on the prop trips.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:52 PM
United States, TX, Rhome
Joined Jul 2005
191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie624 View Post
Yes, best way is to sand them down, an alternative cheat is to use CA Glue on the prop trips.
I've got the kit coming and will use HK Turnigy G25s. The landing gear looks like the gear on my Ce-421. They break easily. For the price ($120.19 to my door it still looks like a great deal. I've seen the red one advertised as a Flyfly model. Could it be? The video shows off the plane splendidly! Mine will be here Oct 2. I'll post pictures of the mods when I get on with it.
DAVE GRABEN is offline Find More Posts by DAVE GRABEN
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:26 PM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE GRABEN View Post
I've got the kit coming and will use HK Turnigy G25s. The landing gear looks like the gear on my Ce-421. They break easily. For the price ($120.19 to my door it still looks like a great deal. I've seen the red one advertised as a Flyfly model. Could it be? The video shows off the plane splendidly! Mine will be here Oct 2. I'll post pictures of the mods when I get on with it.
I think by looking at the motors that are in the ARF, the G25 may be too long. Let me know how it works out. I am almost thinking that the ARF will be cheaper. Will be interested to see how yours comes out.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:41 AM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Sep 2008
928 Posts
In the video it says to "Balance The Props"... Best piece of advice in the entire video... I have never seen props this far out of balance.... I have sanded and sanded one prop beyond believe, and look how I got it balanced....

Looking into alternative plan to balance the props. Considering paint to add weight as I cannot take off much more

Any other ideas.. I am open to them.