HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:37 AM
Red Lake Falls, MN
Joined Aug 2004
157 Posts
Question
How big of battery do you need for 46 glow plane?

New to glow power. How big a battery is big enough? I have a 46 size plane (Phoenix Funstar). It has five reg size servos (non-digital). I'm planning on using a 1000 mh 7.2 volt lipo with regulator, but also have a 2000 mh 7.2 volt lip available. Usually fly about five minute flights.
rlfgary is offline Find More Posts by rlfgary
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:41 AM
H&H
H&H Hobbies
Old mystic CT U.S.A.
Joined Nov 2003
641 Posts
Out of curiosity, Why are you using a lipo with a regulator? It seems like unnessessarily complicated to me. Not to mention having to remove the battery from the plane every time to charge. I use an 1100mah NiCd or NiMh in my 40-60 sized glow planes and get plenty of flight time.
I would think that 2000Mah lipo is way more than enough though.
H&H is offline Find More Posts by H&H
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:53 AM
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Aug 2004
106 Posts
Agreed! A 750-1000mah ni-cad or ni-metal would be more than adaquate. After all your transmitter generally will only last about two hours, so the above battery should work well.
Jake
Sonsight is offline Find More Posts by Sonsight
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:53 AM
Joined Jul 2010
119 Posts
I have used 750 mAH NiMH batteries in several 40-size planes, with no problem with battery life. Starting with a full charge, I fly as much as I want, and the battery voltage is still fine at the end of the session. That has worked fine for flights lasting as long as 15 to 20 minutes, up to three or four flights on a particular airplane.

For my newest, a Decathlon with a 66" span, I'm upgrading a bit and using a 1700 mAH NiMH, which will give me a huge cushion. I tend to charge my batteries either when I get home from the field or the night before I plan on going out.
jbryan80 is offline Find More Posts by jbryan80
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:56 AM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,843 Posts
I used to fly about 5-6 (10 min) flights on a weekend day when I was heavy into glow. I ran 4-5 standard servos on 600 mah packs back then and it never ran my battery down completely in a flying session. 1000 mah should be good for a lot of 5 min flights.
ChillPhatCat is online now Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Mar 20, 2012, 05:44 PM
TigreJohn
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Aug 2008
983 Posts
In any case, I would recommend a five cell (6.0V) NiCad or NiMh battery pack over a 4 cell for safety reasons as you did not specify which radio you will use. All radio systems have a drop-out voltage (no response threshold). One early 2.4 radio system was notorious for having a high threshold voltage for the receiver. If you stressed the servos and had a not fully charged 4 cell Rx pack, you would lose all control for a few seconds while the receiver rebooted.

The only downside I have experienced with a 5 cell pack is that there is a JR retract servo that will not operate at all; but the voltage doesn't hurt them. Don't remember the model number (its hell getting old) as I got rid of them when I replaced 4's with 5's.
jjkupinski is offline Find More Posts by jjkupinski
Old Mar 20, 2012, 06:36 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,218 Posts
In response to the OP's question.

Yes the 1000Mah 2s with regulator will be fine.
Will last for a FULL day of flying no problem.
Put switch between battery and regulator.

All my fuel planes are using Lipos also
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Mar 20, 2012, 07:14 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,969 Posts
back in the day we all use to fly 4 servos with 450-600mah nicd packs over a 2 day weekend when we'd forget to charge them. anything over that is just pretty much adding weight until you start talking about using digital servos.
for high performance planes you'd see 5s600-700ma packs. for giant scale planes with HD servos you'd see 5s 1000-1300ma nickle packs.

i fly virtually every plane i have off of a 2s600ma rhino lipo that's 3 years old. hooked to 6amp BEC's obviously. (from 5 servo giant scale to 3 servo park fliers)
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Mar 20, 2012, 07:57 PM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,159 Posts
You can use LiPos if you wish...I think it's overkill....Have you thought about using LiIons.....
Less risk when charging.....and they hold a charge for ever.....again a bit of over kill.....
There is plenty of capacity in a 6V 1100mAh pack
jetmech05 is online now Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Mar 20, 2012, 08:00 PM
Mtn Home, Idaho
Joined Feb 2010
443 Posts
i use 2200 turnigy lipos on my helicopter, planning the same for my plank.

ive messed with a few nimh and never again lipo in the my opion is the way to go. us young guys are doing lipos and the old rusty dogs are stuck in the past. just kidding. they do all work.
Evan03 is offline Find More Posts by Evan03
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:50 PM
H&H
H&H Hobbies
Old mystic CT U.S.A.
Joined Nov 2003
641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan03 View Post

ive messed with a few nimh and never again lipo in the my opion is the way to go. us young guys are doing lipos and the old rusty dogs are stuck in the past. just kidding. they do all work.
That kind of reminds me of when I was a kid back in the 70's. I got one of those new LED pushbutton wrist watches and thought it was the coolest thing.
I ran to my Dad and said "Hey Dad, look at my new watch! I push this button and it tells me what time it is!"
My Dad said, " Neat. Check out my watch. I just look at it and it tells me what time it is."
H&H is offline Find More Posts by H&H
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:38 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,436 Posts
Nice one, H&H

Like many others, I prefer the simplicity of a NiMh pack -- no regulator to go wrong; no fire danger from over-discharged packs; unlikely to be fatally damaged in a crash .... In an afternoon's flying I've never used more than about 1/3 of a 700mAh pack, and that's on planes up to 1.20 size. Currently I have 1200mAh packs because that seems to be the standard size these days.

For a lithium alternative to NiMh, a 2S A123 pack can be used with most radios without the need for a regulator. It's nominal voltage is 6.6v, and it's available in 1100 and 2300mAh sizes.
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:36 AM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,159 Posts
H and H ...and a whole generation lost the ability to read a clock.....
Ahh youth can't count back change, or do math with a pencil and paper....
I'll tell on myself here.....first job was at Mickey D's we wrote the order, added the total on the order pad....added the tax on the order pad.....took the money counted back the change....filled the order and could still do over a 100 bucks in an hour when burgers were 29 cents
jetmech05 is online now Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:36 AM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan03 View Post

You know what I like about NiMh and NiCds? I can crash a plane with a nimh or nicd pack on board and find my plane, with undamaged electronics and engine instead of a smoldering pile of wood, plastic and servos, and I can reuse the battery pack!

NiMh also doesn't need a voltage regulator, can be charged fully in 15 mins and still fly all day.

LiPos are a great boost to the electric side of the hobby, but it's not really that big of a deal for glow.
ChillPhatCat is online now Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:39 PM
United States, AL, Emelle
Joined Feb 2012
198 Posts
This is kind of a refreshing thread. After being out of glow for six or seven years I thot my nicd and nimh batteries were WAY outdated. Guess I'm still in the crowd I'm running a 4.8v 1500mah in my 40 size and I only have to charge it about every three times I fly...
Alex Koehn is offline Find More Posts by Alex Koehn