Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 31, 2011, 05:56 PM
USA, IL, Springfield
Joined Dec 2009
88 Posts
Help!
1/2A Cox Stuka with Tee Dee Issues

I have a Cox Stuka that my grandfather gave me about a year ago. I just recently got all pieces together to start this plane. I have a 1/2A Glow Plug adapter so I can run power from my full size glow plug to the plane. I'm pretty sure it is sparking because fuel is flowing from the tank to the piston and when the piston compresses to let air in, I see smoke appear. I was able to get it running once but it was only for a second. When it did start I heard something in the engine hissing and I flipped the prop. To my suprise it started right up. I have yet to be able to replicate this hissing sound or got it to start since. Does anyone have an idea of what could be wrong?

I use 15% fuel.

Any help would be appreiated. My grandfather is not in good health and I was hoping to start it to bring up his spirits !

Thanks and God Bless,
Greg Fleckenstein
airplanfreak is offline Find More Posts by airplanfreak
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2011, 08:25 PM
Pirkkala, Finland
Joined Jan 2005
560 Posts

From http://mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/cox_frameset.htm
Jupeli is offline Find More Posts by Jupeli
Old Dec 31, 2011, 08:43 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Here are the manuals and some instructions for Cox engines (Reed valve and TD's):
https://sites.google.com/site/coxeng...ruction-sheets
http://coxengines.ca/TSC.pdf
http://coxengines.ca/EOG.pdf
https://9014067877439614790-a-180274...attredirects=0
All Cox engines run best on about 25% nitro and do requires at least 20% oil(castor/not synthetic).
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Dec 31, 2011, 09:37 PM
Joined Oct 2004
210 Posts
The plug may have burned out or battery low.. Take the head off to see if it is glowing bright orange.
skaliwag is online now Find More Posts by skaliwag
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:18 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,879 Posts
Admirable intentions.. I hope you get it running for the old boy to see.
USE a 1.5 volt battery ( 3 D cells in parallel) Nicad Glo drivers are unsuitable at 1.2 volts... waste of time trying imo.
Fresh Fuel and a freshly cleaned engine helps .
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jan 01, 2012, 04:57 AM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
903 Posts
The hissing sound is fuel boiling off the glowing plug, it happens on larger engines too but it is easier to hear when there is no muffler.

In the dark you can see the glow plug glowing trough the exhaust ports (with the driver attached) but it is better to remove the head and check. Prime the side of the piston only and the engine should fire right up.
surfer_kris is offline Find More Posts by surfer_kris
Old Jan 01, 2012, 07:58 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
Escondido, CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
961 Posts
FYI
After getting it to run there may be an urge to fly it. That will require a goodly amount of experience as the Cox Stuka was rather touchy and unstable, especially after the engine quit and you were letting it descend. Airspeed control is critical; I've seen many pilots lose this airplane even after flying the Cox P-40 and/or Spitfire. Looks cool at the end of the lines but be careful
Balsabird is online now Find More Posts by Balsabird
Old Jan 01, 2012, 09:57 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,879 Posts
Just realised the "TD" bit Really? that Stuka has a TD fitted? Great!! if it does!
Typically those were stuck with those inconsistent plastic backplate engines and the few plastic ARF Stukas I remember, barely flew
Due to that poor powerplant.. lowish power and an overweight model were a proven poor combo. COX really shoulda known better.. IMO they simply didn't care
Nose high ...stumbling around the circle was the standard flight envelope.
Loop?? Never actually saw one that managed that.
Usual manouver was a figure 9.. then broken plastic bits to gather up.
It might be clever to avoid that... especially with the old boy spectating
Old Jan 02, 2012, 11:00 AM
USA, IL, Springfield
Joined Dec 2009
88 Posts
Thank you for all your help guys. I tryed it again today with the better fuel and it started right up. NO FLYING....got it
airplanfreak is offline Find More Posts by airplanfreak
Old Jan 02, 2012, 11:05 AM
Joined Oct 2004
210 Posts
I doubt it has a TD .. Thimble Drome was a Cox Trade Mark on every thing 049
skaliwag is online now Find More Posts by skaliwag
Old Jan 02, 2012, 01:22 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
The Stuka had a product engine (#190-1),description here from Aerotools.de:
Product Engine .049 (0.8 cm≥)

Manufactured in 1962 (#190-1, ECJ #11b)

This Bee from the #190 engine series was used to power a control line model, namely the green Junkers Ju-87 Stuka. It is similar to the Two-Ninety replacement engine which is shown further down below. It came with a three bladed prop and a green spinner. The white postage stamp Delrin back plate slid into matching notches of the fuselage. The Stuka was known for its poor stability and control characteristics, so it is no surprise that this engine is almost new while the Stuka itself has not survived the hazards of control line flight.
http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/cox_frameset.htm
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:58 PM
United States, VA, Quinton
Joined Aug 2007
13 Posts
With the price the Cox Stuka is selling for on Ebay, It would be a shame to waste one by flying it. :-)

Apparently, most of them were destroyed by their owners.
pplassm is offline Find More Posts by pplassm
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:59 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
Escondido, CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
961 Posts
I've known only one who flew the Stuka successfully--meaning it was still flyable after landing, with great effort. I'd never watched him work so hard at flying a model. After that one flight he said "That's it. We're done with this one" And it wasn't me
Balsabird is online now Find More Posts by Balsabird
Old Jan 18, 2012, 09:44 AM
Elyria, Ohio
Joined Sep 2004
722 Posts
I had one. It was a pig to fly and was in a semi controled stall all of the flight. I would bust something every landing .It is a pretty model with lots of detail that is in it's best element sitting on a shelf to be looked at.

Mike1484
Mike1484 is online now Find More Posts by Mike1484
Old Jan 18, 2012, 01:58 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
With the price the Cox Stuka is selling for on Ebay, It would be a shame to waste one by flying it. :-)
Apparently, most of them were destroyed by their owners.
From Memory.. 'back when' Most (all?) of the Cox 'ready to never fly' Plastic Toys were gleefully destroyed by their owners.
The few that actually survived their 'brief' air time were either stomped on or set alight by disgruntled owners. At least where I lived.. likely a common sport though. Model Baseball was fairly popular.
Remember seeing more than a couple PT19's set alight and those were arguably the best plastic 'sort of' fliers.
Boggles my imagination that some, somewhere? are paying large ?