Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 08, 2011, 04:52 AM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
It's silver and has some orange on it...

YAY!
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2011, 10:25 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehskds View Post
Happy DX8 owner, just listening.
Happy dx6i and old dx7 owner...listening too
TexasClouds is offline Find More Posts by TexasClouds
Old May 09, 2011, 02:06 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
The AR8000 is an 11ms 2048 resolution rx.

The AR7000 is a 22ms 1024 resolution rx.

Most people would prefer the faster receiver. ...
I would not be too sure about this, because many analog servos can't cope with 11ms refresh rates.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: InterModellBau 2014
Old May 09, 2011, 08:13 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,458 Posts
Those who don't want it can use the 22ms setting in the radio for those planes. With the DX8, you have a choice, unlike other radios.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old May 09, 2011, 09:41 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Those who don't want it can use the 22ms setting in the radio for those planes. With the DX8, you have a choice, unlike other radios.

Andy
This is not unique to Spektrum. There are also other manufacturers where you can select the frame rate. With HoTT I can chose between 20ms and 10ms.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: InterModellBau 2014
Old May 09, 2011, 10:02 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,458 Posts
Sorry, didn't realize I was claiming it was unique to Spektrum (actually, it's only on the DX8 and DX7S). I'm not even thinking about other brands - they may have it too.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Last edited by AndyKunz; May 09, 2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old May 09, 2011, 10:35 AM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,104 Posts
If I'm not wrong ATX SD-10G can also switch between frame rates via FHS-1 or FHS-3.

MIke R
mikeruth is offline Find More Posts by mikeruth
Old May 09, 2011, 01:58 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,562 Posts
Andy: A couple of guys and I were discussing whether, after the rcvr. binds to the trans, does the rcvr. send an RF signal back to the trans with pertinent info. More detailed on what we were talking about is binding two rcvrs. to the trans at the same time, can the trans. distinguish that there are two rcvrs. talking at the same time, back to the trans. Hope this doesn't sound too confoozing.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old May 09, 2011, 06:36 PM
mondo1948
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2007
1,015 Posts
Hi Guys,
Before I buy anything, I like to run the numbers for a good comparison, from product to product. Bear with me please.

In looking at the Spektrum DX8 radio, there are 2 ways to buy it. First, you could buy the whole package, which retails for $430.00. With the 10% discount that you can get from several websites, the cost would be 90% of the $430.00, which is $387.00. In looking at the sales in the Classifieds on this forum, you could sell the AR8000 receiver and telemetry stuff that come with the package for $110.00, meaning your net cost for just the radio is $277.00. If you don't want to spend the time selling stuff out of the package, you could buy the radio-only for a retail price of $350.00, but again, with a 10% discount, the radio-only would cost 90% of the $350.00 for a net cost of $315.00. Personally, I would spend the little bit of time to sell off the stuff from the package and save myself the extra $38.00 (the difference between the $315.00 and $277.00 from above.

Now, let's look at the DX7s radio....

The package retails for $300.00. With the 10% discount, the net would be 90% of the $300.00, which is $270.00. If you sell off the AR8000 for the current selling price in the Classifieds, you can get around $80.00, which means the DX7s radio ends up costing $270 minus $80.00, which equals $190.

So, bottom line, the difference between the DX8 cheapest price above...$277.00 and the price of the DX7s, $190.00, is $87.00.

Now, I think with these numbers, I can make a better camparison. Do I want to spend an extra $87.00 for the DX8 vs. the DX7s, considering the additional features. In my case, I really don't care about the back-lighting and I don't need the extra channel. And, considering I can only hang about 20 planes in my home, I don't need the 30 model memory of the DX8....I can make do with the 20 model memory of the DX7s. I have yet to decide whether other features of the DX8 would make me want to spend $87.00 more.

What's nice about the Spektrum radios is that you can buy the package deals and upgrade from one to the other without spending a fortune. For instance, I used my DX6I for 2 years, which I bought as a package and sold off the servos, etc. My original net cost was $100.00. When I sold it for $100.00 on RcGroups and upgraded to a DX7, which I also bought as a package and sold off the servos and RX, the DX7 net cost was $150.00. So, to upgrade from the DX6I to a DX7 cost me only $50.00, plus a little bit of my time to sell stuff on RcGRoups. Now, if I sell my DX7 and buy the DX7s, my net cost will probably end up being around $50.00 again. Not bad, considering all the features I gain with the DX7s, like the potential for using telemetry and the SD card feature, which I believe will allow me to back-up all the settings for my individual planes (which I now have to do writing everything down on paper). The DX7s also has better ergonomincs supposedly, better gimbles and also allows for future use of DSMX receivers in my planes. Oh, I almost forgot.....I really liked the roller-bar user interface of my DX6I radio and the DX7s uses a roller bar.

I hope I've not confused anybody and would rather hope that I've provided a good comparison of the price differentials. And, like most products we consider buying, it's a matter of determining what we need or want and what we're willing to pay for.

Mondo
mondo1948 is offline Find More Posts by mondo1948
Last edited by mondo1948; May 09, 2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old May 09, 2011, 08:04 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Mondo, that is the Way I look at things, too. Currently I have 2 perfect DX7's that I spent about $165 Each for...

I would gladly sold one or both of them to get a DX7s at $220... IF it had a backlit display. That is the one thing my DX7 needs.

As it is, there just isn't enough there to justify Spending $50 more than my current DX7's (And aftermarket backlighting is another $50) and for a few dollars more you get a DX8.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old May 09, 2011, 08:45 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
Andy: A couple of guys and I were discussing whether, after the rcvr. binds to the trans, does the rcvr. send an RF signal back to the trans with pertinent info. More detailed on what we were talking about is binding two rcvrs. to the trans at the same time, can the trans. distinguish that there are two rcvrs. talking at the same time, back to the trans. Hope this doesn't sound too confoozing.

Gord.
Short answer, yes, the reciver does somehow tell the radio what kind it is....

On my DX7, you can hear when its actualy transmitting, there is a slight hum... When you turn it on and you are NOT binding, the hum starts instantly, when you turn it on in bind mode, the hum doesn't start till the model is bound. If I turn it on and bind it to a Ultra micro DSM2 model the hum starts after about 4-5 seconds, right before the light goes solid. If I then turn both off, then turn the TX back on in bind mode, it "looks" for the DSM2 feedback for about 10 seconds before the hum starts. Then if I turn the UM model back on, it has lost its bind, because the radio is transmitting in DSM instead of DSM2. It seems if it doesn't receive some kind of "feedback" as you bind, it defaults to DSM, which has caused grief due to people accidentally pressing bind when turning on the radio, and then wondering why their DSM2 model has suddenly lost its bind... its because the radio didn't get a "DSM2" signal from the reciver, so it is now transmitting in DSM..... It also sucks power much faster when transmitting in DSM than DSM2...

Of course the DSM/DSM2 is moot with this radio since it doesn't do DSM, but it works the same way, the reciver tells the radio when you bind which type it is, DSM2 or DSMX...
dacaur is online now Find More Posts by dacaur
Old May 09, 2011, 10:06 PM
Kansas City
Joined Dec 2009
393 Posts
Ball bearings?

The Spektrum site mentions "ball bearings" for the DX8 gimbals but only says "bearings" for the DX7s. A bearing is not required to have a rolling component, so is this another difference between the two?
prefabu is offline Find More Posts by prefabu
Old May 10, 2011, 07:42 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,458 Posts
It would say "bushing" then.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old May 10, 2011, 08:44 AM
Joined Jan 2011
745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prefabu View Post
The Spektrum site mentions "ball bearings" for the DX8 gimbals but only says "bearings" for the DX7s. A bearing is not required to have a rolling component, so is this another difference between the two?
Yet another quirk of our language
bushings - plastic, metal, ,oilite,etc.. inc. no moving parts
bearings- ball, roller, tapered roller, air,axial,end thrust etc.. inc. moving parts
guy hanson is offline Find More Posts by guy hanson
Old May 10, 2011, 08:49 AM
One of the usual suspects
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jun 2007
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo1948 View Post
...If you sell off the AR8000 for the current selling price in the Classifieds, you can get around $80.00, which means the DX7s radio ends up costing $270 minus $80.00, which equals $190.

So, bottom line, the difference between the DX8 cheapest price above...$277.00 and the price of the DX7s, $190.00, is $87.00.
Spektrum still list the "selling price" of both DX7 and DX7s as $299.99.
http://www.spektrumrc.com/DSM/Products/airRadios.aspx
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdId=SPM2710
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SPM7800
So, I'm guessing that after the "new" wears off(soon), the s will probably street for the $190 that you have calculated.
There are many dealers that will sell TX only in order to put the RX in a kit/bundle or sell separately.
Vicarious is offline Find More Posts by Vicarious