HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Would you like to see "Bind n Fly" planes compatible with the Aurora 9?
Yes 27 72.97%
No 10 27.03%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 30, 2010, 10:45 AM
AMA # L576
United States, OR, North Bend
Joined Sep 2006
2,225 Posts
Poll
Aurora 9 owners, Do you want rx's included with Multiplex planes so you can bind n fl

I was thinking that it would be cool if Hitec USA made bind and fly type planes for our radio's. Like getting a Multiplex Blizzard with servo's, motor, esc, and rx already installed. You just bind it to your Aurora, put a battery in it and fly.
vhoward1122 is offline Find More Posts by vhoward1122
Last edited by vhoward1122; Feb 10, 2010 at 07:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2010, 02:03 PM
Nice, but watch this... oops.
Northern Ohio
Joined Jan 2010
250 Posts
Sure, but I need to get my A9 off backorder and into my hands first!

Should be soon. I hope

Bill
Dirt Brakes is offline Find More Posts by Dirt Brakes
Old Jan 31, 2010, 01:49 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,281 Posts
Add a neutral option
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jan 31, 2010, 08:42 AM
USA, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Sep 2000
3,776 Posts
I have an A9. I could care less about BNF type planes. It's just marketing BS to begin with.
RyanPSU21 is offline Find More Posts by RyanPSU21
Old Feb 01, 2010, 08:08 AM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanPSU21 View Post
I have an A9. I could care less about BNF type planes. It's just marketing BS to begin with.
You might not care about BNF aircraft but there are many out there that do because they either don't know much or care about aircraft setup. I think getting an A9 is a bit overkill for a BNF, but who knows. Still, the BNF market is there. Call it BS but look at what Horizon has sold in the past couple of years.
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Feb 01, 2010, 09:20 AM
Germany
Joined Jan 2003
171 Posts
Wow what a silly idea and wrong thread title!!!!! Sorry this is BS. If you are not able to put a few things together or setup your radio, you could do other hobbys...
modellbobby is offline Find More Posts by modellbobby
Old Feb 01, 2010, 10:09 AM
Nice, but watch this... oops.
Northern Ohio
Joined Jan 2010
250 Posts
Sure you could do other hobbies, but there are people who like the convenience of getting a model that's complete. One stop shopping where the model comes with a power system, servos, and everything installed is very popular.

Personally I find BNF models usually come with weak power plants, and mediacore servos, but there are exceptions to this rule. Some kits come nicely equipped, slap in a battery, bind your receiver (or install one if it RxR) and your up and flying in a few minutes. Personally I have a tick, I have to buy good stuff the first time, so I normally buy a kit, or a ARF, but I do own a nice RxR Cessna that I also enjoy.

Its all personal preference. If you don't like it, don't buy it. That's what makes this hobby great.

Bill
Dirt Brakes is offline Find More Posts by Dirt Brakes
Old Feb 08, 2010, 07:46 PM
AMA # L576
Joined Sep 2006
2,225 Posts
I thought it would just be convenient to get everything in one package possibly at a discount over buying everything separately.
Old Feb 08, 2010, 10:25 PM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Poway, California, United States
Joined Sep 2000
4,190 Posts
Bind and fly is very successful for Horizon as they have many excellent models which are relatively inexpensive. It also allows them to lock you into spektrum technology to fly them. Which is fine... The rub for you guys though, is that the Aurora is the only radio which Spektrum does not make a module for. What is interesting is that they don't support Hitec radios at all. Yes, you can use their Futaba compatible module and it works, but it's not "officially" supported. http://search.horizonhobby.com/index...=AirMdls&N=812

So in essence, any radio except the Aurora is capable of flying these models.

Multiplex on the other hand is positioned as a premium model brand, and deservedly so... the latest models from them are incredible; in fact, the Merlin is the best plane I've seen come around in a loooong time! "Park Liner" is the best term to describe it! But unfortunately this all comes with a modest price tag for our kits. You do have the option to get a prebuilt "RR" (Receiver Ready) version of many of their models which is cool, but they command an even higher price, although it is a value vs. buying the additional gear separately.

Including a Hitec AFHSS RX for a BnF would be cool but also add even more cost; and while we would love for everyone to use our system, there are too many radios out there to exclude. So "RR" is probably the best your going to get for now. There is, after all, a price to be paid for superior technology!

Mike.
MikeMayberry is offline Find More Posts by MikeMayberry
Old Feb 09, 2010, 12:15 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,030 Posts
Except in the case of the micro models that use an integrated receiver and servos (like the MSR, for example), where BNF is the only feasible way to do it, I see very little disadvantage to the receiver-ready approach.

I don't think the lack of BNF capability is a serious argument either against the Aurora or in favour of Hitec trying to compete with Horizon Hobby in the BNF game.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Feb 09, 2010, 06:46 PM
AMA # L576
Joined Sep 2006
2,225 Posts
The problem is that I can only find a couple of the multiplex planes in the receiver ready form. Not the planes I want though.
Old Feb 09, 2010, 07:10 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhoward1122 View Post
The problem is that I can only find a couple of the multiplex planes in the receiver ready form. Not the planes I want though.
Then you do have a legitimate complaint, but BNF isn't the answer -- bug Multiplex to do RR. Or just buy the model and install your own equipment.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Feb 09, 2010, 10:10 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
1,572 Posts
BNF aircraft are the only reason why I am keeping my dx7 even though I use my Aurora the majority of the time
M.Huerta is offline Find More Posts by M.Huerta
Old Feb 10, 2010, 12:10 AM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Poway, California, United States
Joined Sep 2000
4,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhoward1122 View Post
Which models do you want?

Mike.
MikeMayberry is offline Find More Posts by MikeMayberry
Old Feb 10, 2010, 12:47 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,281 Posts
Imo, the thread title is completely misleading. Can you change it ?
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa