HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2014, 05:38 AM
The Shetland Flyer
United Kingdom, Scotland, Lerwick
Joined Jun 2008
453 Posts
Hi All,

Yesterday I lost my prop, spinner and motor bell from my D2500. I was flying line of site and noticed the motor starting to slow down on the second climb. The third climb I heard the motor pulsing, and decided to do a low overhead pass with the motor running to see what was going on. As she passed I could clearly see the motor starting and stopping, then appearing to run normally. I went for a fourth climb and saw the spinner, prop (a nice Aeronaut Cam Carbon job) and what I thought was the entire motor departing as I throttled up

No problems bringing her back in, I had enough altitude to circle the field and land, but after an extensive search I could't find the motor bell and prop. The grass was about a foot high in the field and very dense, so it was like looking for a needle in a haystack! The grass will eventually be cut for silage so I doot it's a goner. I think the circlip at the rear must have failed, maybe corrosion after the swim in the sea but it was rinsed very well with fresh water.

I'm thinking of another stock motor (CenturyUK has them and the spinner) but may go for an aluminium turbo spinner instead. Can anyone tell me the size of the stock spinner? Also, it was a while ago when I ordered the replacement prop - I'm pretty sure it was 14" but canny mind the pitch - can someone remind me?

Cheers,

Rory
RoryG is offline Find More Posts by RoryG
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Lerwick from Staney Hill
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2014, 08:42 PM
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
704 Posts
Info from my Arcus Sport:

. Prop: 14x8
. Spinner: 48mm
Justapoke is offline Find More Posts by Justapoke
Old Jul 23, 2014, 04:12 PM
markemark
United Kingdom, Wales, Pontypridd
Joined Apr 2013
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryG View Post
Hi All,

Yesterday I lost my prop, spinner and motor bell from my D2500. I was flying line of site and noticed the motor starting to slow down on the second climb. The third climb I heard the motor pulsing, and decided to do a low overhead pass with the motor running to see what was going on. As she passed I could clearly see the motor starting and stopping, then appearing to run normally. I went for a fourth climb and saw the spinner, prop (a nice Aeronaut Cam Carbon job) and what I thought was the entire motor departing as I throttled up

No problems bringing her back in, I had enough altitude to circle the field and land, but after an extensive search I could't find the motor bell and prop. The grass was about a foot high in the field and very dense, so it was like looking for a needle in a haystack! The grass will eventually be cut for silage so I doot it's a goner. I think the circlip at the rear must have failed, maybe corrosion after the swim in the sea but it was rinsed very well with fresh water.

I'm thinking of another stock motor (CenturyUK has them and the spinner) but may go for an aluminium turbo spinner instead. Can anyone tell me the size of the stock spinner? Also, it was a while ago when I ordered the replacement prop - I'm pretty sure it was 14" but canny mind the pitch - can someone remind me?

Cheers,

Rory
Rory, saw a video quite some time back of a D2500 flying with the motor and prop dangling from the front of the aircraft. The glue holding the wood to the foam on which the motor is screwed into isn't the best.
I removed the wood and re glued mine securely as I could see that there was a good chance my motor was going to try to bail out in flight, touch wood I've been flying mine regularly for 16 months with only one slight problem to date, and that was a replacement wing following a mid air collision with another D2500.
markeMark is offline Find More Posts by markeMark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Mosquito