Very clear,

Cheers.
Wing-span is offline Find More Posts by Wing-span
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:43 AM
United States, MI, Maybee
Joined Feb 2010
68 Posts
Has any one run a three bladed 11x8 prop,on a 72? I know you can do it looking for results.

Thanks ahead of time!

Andy
AJsToyz is offline Find More Posts by AJsToyz
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:54 PM
Chuck it and see!
UK, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire
Joined Sep 2006
1,376 Posts
I test ran my FA-80 today. It runs a treat even with its dented pushrod cover and split seals. Are the seals really needed? I need to work out if after-market mufflers are available or is it possible to manufacture a home made muffler. Seems like it would be a good project for a simple silver soldering exercise. Any ideas?
Wing-span is offline Find More Posts by Wing-span
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:28 PM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
United States, NY, St Lawrence
Joined Feb 2012
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing-span View Post
I test ran my FA-80 today. It runs a treat even with its dented pushrod cover and split seals. Are the seals really needed? I need to work out if after-market mufflers are available or is it possible to manufacture a home made muffler. Seems like it would be a good project for a
simple silver soldering exercise. Any ideas?
As long as you are not bothered by any additional mess from oil, the seals are just there to stabilize the tubes.

The dent might be problematic if it is deep enoiugh to rub on the pushrod.

Low temperature silver solder will not holdup to the heat of a muffler. High temperture silver brazing is what needs to be employed.
SrTelemaster is offline Find More Posts by SrTelemaster
Last edited by SrTelemaster; Nov 13, 2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:02 PM
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,095 Posts
I've written on the "differences" between them here before...

Dear Wing-span & SrTelemaster:

The PIPE here with a quick one...per the statment from SrTelemaster earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrTelemaster View Post
Low temperature silver solder will not holdup to the heat of a muffler. Hign temperture silver brazing is what needs to be employed.

a post of mine at RCGroups from almost a year ago in the "WWI Everyone" thread should clarify that sort of thing up, as I've done BOTH procedures in making both landing gear and exahust systems for scale model aircraft with various types of metal parts.

Please click on the "linkey-dink" bold type (my own term for such a thing in posts) in the previous paragraph to read the post...

...and also check out The Brazing Book online to e-learn more about it, too, for the "high-temperature" stuff !!

Hope all this info helps a little...

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
The PIPE is offline Find More Posts by The PIPE
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:18 PM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
Joined Feb 2012
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The PIPE View Post
Dear Wing-span & SrTelemaster:

The PIPE here with a quick one...per the statment from SrTelemaster earlier:

a post of mine at RCGroups from almost a year ago in the "WWI Everyone" thread should clarify that sort of thing up, as I've done BOTH procedures in making both landing gear and exahust systems for scale model aircraft with various types of metal parts.

Please click on the "linkey-dink" bold type (my own term for such a thing in posts) in the previous paragraph to read the post...

...and also check out The Brazing Book online to e-learn more about it, too, for the "high-temperature" stuff !!

Hope all this info helps a little...

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
Hey PIPE, Sta-Brtite is as you say silver bearing tin it is 96%/4% tin/silver. It's original use was for jewelry & crafts were a non tarnishing "bright" solder was needed. Any hdwe store that sells this expensive soft solder for plumbing is not "well stocked". Much more economical 95%/5% tin/antimony solders are just as suitable for potable water applications.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:33 AM
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,095 Posts
I DO know about the need for "unleaded" solder on those sorts of things!

Dear SrTelemaster:

The PIPE Here again...it IS possible to purchase the Wolverine firm's exact 95/5 SnAg solder in roll form (the "Silvabrite S" formulation) for low-temperature needs, and that firm is located in Warwick, RI, not very far from where I live just south of Boston.

The tin-antimony solder you mentioned IS also a good choice for drinking water systems' soldered joints with copper plumbing - at least both SnAg and SnSb (Sb is antimony's periodic table abbreviation) kinds of solder HAVE NO LEAD in them, making them ideal choices for "unleaded" solder for such needs.

My homebuilt RC hobby electronics PC board and wiring soldering needs WILL continue to be done with the older, 63/37 "eutectic" tin-lead solder, though...I haven't done that in a while now, but when it's time to get back to the RC hobby once again, and time to build more MicroStar-based knobby radios for my own needs as one example, 63/37 SnPb regular "leaded" solder will always be my best choice for those.

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
The PIPE is offline Find More Posts by The PIPE
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:27 PM
east central ohio
Joined Jan 2009
341 Posts
Hello Saito Engine forum! Well I have a question for the expert's. I want to use a Saito engine on a fan boat (airboat) and my hope is I can get some guidance. I will be using a regular airplane prop so the air from the prop will keep the engine cool.

I typically us a .46 two cycle engine, OS, So don't flame me too bad. I need your recommendations on a 4 cycle Saito that is comparable in power. I love the sound of the Saito engine. So with this being said what is recommended? Do you recommended I even use a 4 cycle Saito on a airboat? I read that the 4 cycles are high maintenance compared to 2 stroke. Your thought's on this?

I watch for the feedback,

Thanks,

-Gary
rcairboater is offline Find More Posts by rcairboater
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:42 PM
Hutch
United States, Mt, Bozeman
Joined Jan 2012
309 Posts
Question guys, I got the Bocas for my 72, and the front bearing has a black and green side. Does the green side of the front go toward the front of the case? Also, does the little divot on the con rod go to the back? I can't remember!
hutchinstuff is offline Find More Posts by hutchinstuff
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:40 AM
Living in the south of France
Joined Aug 2011
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcairboater View Post
Hello Saito Engine forum! Well I have a question for the expert's. I want to use a Saito engine on a fan boat (airboat) and my hope is I can get some guidance. I will be using a regular airplane prop so the air from the prop will keep the engine cool.

I typically us a .46 two cycle engine, OS, So don't flame me too bad. I need your recommendations on a 4 cycle Saito that is comparable in power. I love the sound of the Saito engine. So with this being said what is recommended? Do you recommended I even use a 4 cycle Saito on a air-boat? I read that the 4 cycles are high maintenance compared to 2 stroke. Your thought's on this?

Thanks,

my experience (for what it's worth ) of fan boats going back to the 60's, and running Saito's for 15 years you shouldn't have any problems, 4 strokes only need the valves setting after running in and maybe every 5 years,, so go ahead, get rid of that wailing 2 stroke and put a REAL motor in it .

-Gary
aaaaa
paulinfrance is offline Find More Posts by paulinfrance
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:49 AM
Joined Feb 2007
2,699 Posts
Hutch, the chamfer goes toward the counter weight to match the filet on the crankpin.. Its well established that the dot is not 100% reliable but the chamfer is.
I TOBOR is offline Find More Posts by I TOBOR
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:55 AM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
Joined Feb 2012
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcairboater View Post

I typically us a .46 two cycle engine, OS, So don't flame me too bad. I need your recommendations on a 4 cycle Saito that is comparable in power. I love the sound of the Saito engine. So with this being said what is recommended? Do you recommended I even use a 4 cycle Saito on a airboat? I read that the 4 cycles are high maintenance compared to 2 stroke. Your thought's on this?

Thanks,

-Gary
Typically, multiply the displacement of the 2S by 1 1/2 to get a 4S of similar power.

In this case, maybe an FA72?

Be ready to re-think prop pitch as the 4S will make touque @ a lower RPM range..

More pitch and/or diameter will be in order to utilize the power band of the 4S.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:56 AM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
Joined Feb 2012
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I TOBOR View Post
Hutch, the chamfer goes toward the counter weight to match the filet on the crankpin.. Its well established that the dot is not 100% reliable but the chamfer is.
Wow, that's good to know. I never encountered that before so in the future I will keeep an eye out.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:01 AM
Joined Jan 2009
6 Posts
Hey all,
I bought a used Saito FA-150GK and it seems to run fine on the bench. However, when I reversed the carb to move the linkage to the other side it looked like there should be an o-ring between the intake tube mount and the carb housing, but there wasn't. Should there be?
SirLands-a-lot is offline Find More Posts by SirLands-a-lot
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:14 AM
Joined Mar 2007
1,012 Posts
yes

Is there a rebate within the carb' body ... containing an O-ring?
bogbeagle is offline Find More Posts by bogbeagle
Last edited by bogbeagle; Nov 21, 2012 at 09:26 AM.