New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2016, 04:35 PM
Find More Posts by Dmerino
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,308 Posts
Discussion
F-100 Hun

I've just finished my Fw-190 and now am starting on a F-100 Hun. I'm using the same construction technique, so I've included a photo of the "Butcher" bird. The Hun will have a 38" wingspan and a fuse 49.12" long. I bought a canopy from Park Flyer Plastics. For some reason I really don't like making vacuum formed canopies, although I've made quite a bit in the past. It must be genetic.

I'm also including photos of the printed paper for the laminating process. I spray mount, with 3M 77 spray adhesive the paper to 1 mm extruded foam. The process works rather well. I'm not nearly as good as some of the guys, on this forum, doing this type of build.

The paper model of the Hun is about 11" long.

I hope you enjoy the build.

Thanks,
Den
Dmerino is offline Find More Posts by Dmerino
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2016, 04:23 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,308 Posts
I purchased a ready-made vacuum form canopy from Park Flyer Plastics. Really impressed with the quality and clarity of the canopy. I spent the morning designing the color canopy frames for printing on adhesive-backed 8 1/2" by 11" label stock, printed them up and mounted to the canopy. I had been working on the cockpit tub and ejection seat. They are in their preliminary state. A lot more detail to come before it is finished.

Thanks to "Nut", I've committed to a pusher and am not going to experiment with an EDF at this time. However, the time will come.

I've been putting off the spray-mounting until we got some decent weather. Hopefully, I should have the mounting done by mid-week.

Den
Old Feb 07, 2016, 01:56 PM
Find More Posts by beanie
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
5,000 Posts
wow Den! that looks fantastic!
-beanie
beanie is offline Find More Posts by beanie
Old Feb 07, 2016, 02:33 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,308 Posts
Thanks, Beanie.

I was going to post on your '105 thread today to let you know I went with the Hun. The decision maker, for me, was the availability of the canopy from Park Flyer Plastics in the size I needed. They didn't have a listing for a Thud Canopy.

I am still going to make a Thud someday when I get the motivation to do a canopy for it. What can I say...... at 73, I'm lazy, tired, pooped, run-down, you noticed I didn't say old....

Hope you are doing well, my friend.

Den

Here are a couple more shots.
Old Feb 08, 2016, 07:35 PM
Find More Posts by beanie
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
5,000 Posts
That is amazing Den. I've started my F-105D build at about 26"WS. If I get around to pulling a canopy and am successful, I'll send you a canopy. No guarantee on timeline though.
-beanie
beanie is offline Find More Posts by beanie
Old Feb 08, 2016, 08:26 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanie View Post
That is amazing Den. I've started my F-105D build at about 26"WS. If I get around to pulling a canopy and am successful, I'll send you a canopy. No guarantee on timeline though.
-beanie
That would be awesome, Beanie.

Thank you.

Den
Old Feb 11, 2016, 08:41 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,308 Posts
I'm up to my elbows and arm pits with formers and sections. She is starting to look like a "Hun". What you see is already 30". Probably not great for you super "Builders", but for me it's huge. She is going to be beautiful.

Hey, Nut. I'm experimenting with 3 mm foam for the monocoque skin construction of the Hun. I learned this trick from Montraro. He builds this way and is exceptional. It is really nice. It came out super rigid. I won't have to apply any glass to the entire interior. I will glass the nose area. I think this way of construction will work for an EDF and have plenty of strength. I hope you get a chance to see it in St. George.

Enjoy the pics.

Den
Old Feb 14, 2016, 04:13 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,308 Posts
Well she is now 36" long. I've been working on the exhaust section. I thought I would try importing actual photo of the F-100 exhaust section, then merge into Corel. It turned out pretty well. I used photo paper to get a good gloss. I did have to pay a weight price for this paper. Considering, I will be already fighting weight from the rear motor mount, I may have to go back to a lighter bond paper. I still have to finish the interior, cockpit area. She's going to be a beauty.

Den
Old Feb 14, 2016, 04:57 PM
Find More Posts by J Morgan
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
27,074 Posts
You're right Den, it's going to be a beauty!

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2016, 05:52 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,308 Posts
Thanks, John.

Den
Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:02 PM
Find More Posts by W. X. Davis
United States, OH, Reynoldsburg
Joined May 2004
2,545 Posts
Is this gonna be R/C ??

Woody
W. X. Davis is offline Find More Posts by W. X. Davis
Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:05 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by W. X. Davis View Post
Is this gonna be R/C ??

Woody
Hi, Woody. It's great to hear from you. I have a couple of flights waiting for you, with this bird, in St. George.

Yes, it's a pusher.

Den
Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:51 PM
Find More Posts by W. X. Davis
United States, OH, Reynoldsburg
Joined May 2004
2,545 Posts
Shhhweeet !!

I'll try to develop some flying skills before then.

Woody
W. X. Davis is offline Find More Posts by W. X. Davis
Old Feb 16, 2016, 01:10 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by W. X. Davis View Post
Shhhweeet !!

I'll try to develop some flying skills before then.

Woody
, PLEASE, give me a break. Develop flying skills..... I don't have flying skills, I have "Plowing" skills.

Den
Old Feb 19, 2016, 09:23 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,308 Posts
Honestly, I've been working on it. I've spent a lot of time getting the formers to nest correctly. Now I'm moving on to the tail feathers. I've got to order the outrunner. I'm not sure which one I'm going with. I think this bird will come in under 30 ozs. all up weight. I'm open to suggestions on the motor.

Peace,
Den