Old Jan 17, 2015, 04:29 PM
Find More Posts by drjay
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jul 2010
504 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Using the Jeti DS-16 with a Realflight or Phoenix Computer Simulator

IMPORTANT: For Programming /Mapping in Realflight, see post #6

I use the Realflight 7 and sometimes the Phoenix computer simulators, which both worked using the direct cable connection with my DX18. The Jeti is not so straightforward. However, once things are up and running the Jeti works fine with the computer simulators.

The main issue is that the Jeti does not have the standard stereo audio output jack that the Spektrum or other transmitters have to link the transmitter with the computer. Something about an issue with FCC compliance. After searching through a number or rambling RCG threads and working things out, the following 2 methods seem most simple:

Method 1 – Jeti PPM Wire

Method 2 – Wireless using dedicated receiver and soldering together a few parts
drjay is offline Find More Posts by drjay
Last edited by drjay; Jan 30, 2016 at 03:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2015, 04:29 PM
Find More Posts by drjay
Joined Jul 2010
504 Posts
Method 1 – Jeti PPM Wire

1. Purchase the Jeti PPM stereo cable and install directly into transmitter for wired connection. However, “because of the FCC compliance issue”, this cable is “not for use in the US” – translated “this will not be shipped to US addresses” by Esprit. There are a significant number of other suppliers easily found on the web, though…

2. The advantages here are that this is the cheapest option (just need the plug rather than having to dedicate a receiver), and the simulator can be run using any model profile. This latter allows for the possibility of creating separate model-specific simulator profiles and using them without having to rebind the receiver each time to the specific profile (see below). For example, I duplicated the exact model profile for my Habu32 and called it Habu32 Sim. Then I re-zeroed the servo outputs and was able to play with the profile on the computer first before using on my real model, which helped with the comfort level moving from DX18 to Jeti.

3. The disadvantages are that you need to drill a hole into the transmitter case to mount the audio jack, and that you need to be wired to the computer directly. This doesn’t bother me using my laptop, but I imaging those using the laptop connected to the home TV might find this a limitation.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 04:30 PM
Find More Posts by drjay
Joined Jul 2010
504 Posts
Method 2 – Wireless using dedicated receiver and soldering together a few parts

1. Use a Jeti receiver and wire up a cable to connect this directly to the computer. There are heaps or information on how to do this including setups requiring addition dongles, receiver batteries etc. etc. The solution I used is the most simple and eliminates the need for a receiver battery or after-market wireless dongle.
2. The advantages are that this is a wireless setup and you don’t have to find the PPM cable online
3. The disadvantages include the cost of the additional Jeti receiver and wire components, the need to rebind the receiver when switching between simulator profiles, some transmitter and receiver programming, and the need for some basic soldering skills and time to assemble everything. I suspect most people who actually have gotten to the point of owning a Jeti system won’t be bothered much by the setup cost, programming or soldering issues.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 04:33 PM
Find More Posts by drjay
Joined Jul 2010
504 Posts
Using PPM cable only:

1. Use Jeti red stereo plug and drill hole into transmitter case – red. Evidently the Phoenix uses the stereo (red) plug and the Realflight uses the mono (black) plug. In practice, both work with the red plug so I used that option. Here are 2 links to the product (but they won’t ship to the US):
http://www.espritmodel.com/jeti-tran...ed-stereo.aspx

1. Schematic from the Jeti USA website: http://www.jetimodel.com/en/katalog/...k-link-TX-Red/
Old Jan 17, 2015, 04:37 PM
Find More Posts by drjay
Joined Jul 2010
504 Posts
Wireless Using Jeti Receiver:

1. Note: uses 1/8” female stereo jack. This works for both Realflight and Phoenix, even though Realflight uses a mono plug and Phoenix uses a stereo plug. Purchased mine from Radio Shack on EBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/361060028472

2. For RealFlight, no receiver battery is needed. Phoenix for me required a receiver battery with this setup. I suppose you could a second USB cable soldered to a male servo lead to provide power, but I didn’t bother as I prefer the Realflight and rarely use Phoenix anymore. For the Phoenix option I plugged the receiver battery.

3. Wiring scheme for cable shown below is from http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=267418&page=2

4. No “box” needed – I just wrapped with heat shrink tape. Had purchased the stereo connector for a box assuming I needed a box, used it anyway here

5. Any Jeti receiver will work. Plug into the PPM port.

These settings for receiver through Device Explorer worked for me:
1. Serial Link to PPM negative (PPM positive was giving glitchy throttle channel mapping)
2. Insure plugged in to receiver PPM Out channel
3. General Settings: Set to 20ms, 8 channels, PPM/UDI Mode - Computed
4. Match servo outputs to the channel assignments in the simulator software
Last edited by drjay; Jan 17, 2015 at 05:30 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 03:35 AM
Find More Posts by drjay
Joined Jul 2010
504 Posts
Mapping Channels in Realflight

Need to set up controller first. Plug in RF7 cable and receiver/cable to transmitter. Under Simulation tab, choose select controller. Choose Tactic as a controller. Then choose edit, and save as “Jeti DS-16”.

In Transmitter, the simulator model profile should be 1 Flap, 2 Ailerons, Normal Tail for fixed wing aircraft.

Map the following to the RF7 channels:

Mapping (Fixed Wing)
Jeti RF7 Output Channel
1 THR 3THR
2 R Ail1 1R Ail
3 Flap 6Flap
4 L Ail2 10
5 Brake 9
6 ELE 2ELE
7 RUD 4RUD
8 Gear 7

Enable software radio mixes.
Enable software radio dual rates and expo.

Then choose Save and Close.
Then choose calibrate. Make sure to calibrate the simulator software with dual rates at 100%.

Each channel must be calibrated because they don't necessarily initially center at 50% or travel smoothly from -100% to +100%.

To calibrate each channel:
1. Go to Servo Setup Menu and use servo monitor
2. Use sub trim to center channel at 50%.
3. Use Max Positive and Max Negative to set endpoints. Note if the endpoint is too extreme the RF Simulator will return a value of 50%, so make sure to test each channel to both positive and negative extremes and adjust accordingly