HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:08 PM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,517 Posts
You may be able to remove some transistors, flash it with the right firmware, and then replace those transistors. But wait for junsi to let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtaris View Post
Hi,

I wanted to use my new charger today but got a nasty surprise as it’s not working.
It reboots every 2-3 seconds and shows a message : “ERR: FLASH Memory”.

I flashed the firmware and tried the following ones : 3.12, 3.13, 3.14

3.14 : charger simply reboots with the error message and hangs (push buttons don’t work)
3.12,3.13: charger doesn’t reboot, the buttons and menu work, but when trying to start charging, after “Battery Check, Wait Please”, I get “ERR: FLASH Memory” again.

Diagnostic => DOA (Dead On Arrival) ???

As I bought it from HobbyKing, and already had top pay over 40euro's to customs for it + shipping costs. I would like to know if there's any other way to fix it ?
As an electronic engineer student, I think it's probably briked but still. I know the memory used for the firmware and memory settings work fine. So it's probably the 16Mbit logfile memory with is causing error but the problem could be elsewhere.
(I did only find one single post reporting this error)

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for me ?
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:10 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,462 Posts
Have not charged 6S at 30A on a 3010B but have done so many times with a 306B without issue. PS is 24V made from two server supplies wired in series.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:20 PM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,445 Posts
Mark,

How do you power up the charger and PSUs?

I've got a PC PSU that needs to power up with the charger connected.

TIA,

Jim

Anybody know if a bridge rectified 24VAC transformer would work as a source for an iCharger?
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:25 PM
can't buy vaporware
Joined Nov 2011
8,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
Have not charged 6S at 30A on a 3010B but have done so many times with a 306B without issue. PS is 24V made from two server supplies wired in series.

Mark
Which power supplies are you using? Made from DPS-600PB power supplies? Did you wire it yourself?

I have about 20 of these power supplies, but have only tested it with two that were wired by JRPlanes. (I bought the others because they were so cheap, but don't have the time to wire them--just plan to do it for people at the field as the need arises.).

I rarely charge at 30 amps due to the problem, but I do at 24 amps, and have no problem here, even though the PS voltage out is 25.1 volts, and the chargers still has to go from buck to boost.

There could be differences between the 3010b and 306b. The inductance between the two power supplies could be too low.

I don't know about chargers, but in general designing a DC power supply circuit that seamlessly transitions with near optimal transient response from buck to boost at high current, and testing to verify that circuit, isn't easy. You have to do it with intetion. And then there are other factors, such as what line regulation do you require on the input side, inductance on supply lines, etc.

The other person had a control error problem with a 208B, and switching to a Pb battery for input voltage made his problem go away.
Last edited by 7oneWo1f; Jul 18, 2012 at 04:08 PM. Reason: grammar
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:15 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,462 Posts
I have used various supplies and the DPS-600PB's were amongst them. All were wired by myself and none have ever exhibited issue.

Agree that there will always be some interesting phenomena occurring during buck-boost transition but none of these should result in the charger shutting down with a control error. If it were normal to throw a control error during a 30A, 6S lipoly charge when powered by ~25V supply, Junsi would be barraged with demands to fix this.

My suspicion is that there is either an issue with one or both of your supplies and it is having difficulty with regulation at the higher current needed for the 30A charge, or you have an isolated glitch with your particular 3010B that Junsi should be able to address.

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:27 PM
can't buy vaporware
Joined Nov 2011
8,517 Posts
I don't know about the barrage. Might not be a lot of people charging 6S at 30 amps from converted power supplies, and out of those, not a lot of them would know where to look or what to suspect.

Also, I am familiar with how firmware engineers write firmware, and not a lot of them can justify every line of code they write, or have the luxury of doing the kind of testing you would be required to do if you were designing avionics or pace makers. Sometimes, they take a stab, plan to revisit, get pressured to release, have no problems during non-exhaustive testing, and so on. It is one of the reasons why so many products require firmware updates, and why so many products have latent bugs.

That being said, I do recommend iCharger chargers. I think they are excellent value and excellent performance, and they have provided me technical support that goes beyond anything I've ever seen. If they pay for shipping to and from, I could arrange to send my power supply to them if they wanted to use it for testing, but there are AC source voltage differences that might complicate analysis. And, besides, I haven't ruled out the power supply. I'm not sure what the iChargers require for input voltage regulation anyway. I do run my power supplies on a dedicated 20 amp AC circuit that I wired myself back to the circuit breaker, before I sheet rocked my garage.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:42 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N6145k View Post
Also, I am familiar with how firmware engineers write firmware, and not a lot of them can justify every line of code they write, or have the luxury of doing the kind of testing you would be required to do if you were designing avionics or pace makers. Sometimes, they take a stab, plan to revisit, get pressured to release, have no problems during non-exhaustive testing, and so on. It is one of the reasons why so many products require firmware updates, and why so many products have latent bugs.
Lol that happens with more then firmware. I used to write software for a Cisco OEM and it didn't matter how many bugs or issues there were come release. If it functioned at all Cisco would shove it out the door and worry about doing half-baked fixes later. The release date had to be met no matter what. And this was software that many companies rely on for "mission critical" business operations.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:36 PM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigster View Post
My 106B+ fell victim to either a bad power supply, or someone accidentally plugging it into a 24v source. I now have a 206 on the way, so I figured I could attempt a repair.

I found Q26, but I can't seem to find D16. It isn't under the LCD is it? Edit: Found it

Edit: Is this the one people are using?

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...9mb0NhwAMH4%3d

And is this Q26? Is the package SOT-323? Or SOT-23?

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...AcSI9QFAnks%3d

Edit: Got the back off and it looks like U8 is a goner. Is it worth pursuing a repair, Junsi?
Just found U8 is a "MC34063". Biggest difference at Mouser I see is the output voltage range - either 1.55v to 40v, or 5v to 28v. Can you tell me which it is, Junsi?
Bigster is offline Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Jul 18, 2012, 07:56 PM
Joined Sep 2006
9 Posts
any chance of a new feature?

im trying to charge 8.4v and 9.6v pp3 nimh battries. on the first one ive tried, the 9.6v, on nimh auto at a charge rate of 50ma, the voltage rises to about 24v and my psu cuts out. the charger works fine on a 7.2v race pack i have.

so im guessing this problem needs to be fixed by maybe adding a pp3 charging feature into the firmware. it would be very useful for me to have this feature. does anyone else see this as being worth having?
cypher007 is offline Find More Posts by cypher007
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:23 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,462 Posts
Try lowering the charge current. Small 9V batteries can have extremely high internal resistance and voltage can shoot up quite dramatically when charge current is applied, as you have witnessed. Ensuring integrity of all connections and lowering charge current should correct this.

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:04 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3 Posts
iCharger 208B Err: FLASH Memory

What do you mean by "flashing it with the right firmware" ? My unit has never run correctly nor charged, ever since I received it yesterday.
I flashed it with the four latest firmwares (for the 208B) to test it but without luck, it always gives me the same error message. The only difference being, firmware 3.10~3.13 let's me navigate through the menu and options but gives me the "ERR:FLASH Memory" when it boots up and when trying to start charging, while it reboots every 2-3 seconds and hangs completely with firmware 3.14.

Replacing transistors wouldn't be a problem. I have the gear and experience for it.
But first I have to know what is causing this problem. I'm really annoyed with this "ERR:FLASH Memory" message.
I've openend it now and I have to say the PCB doesn't really look like the pictures on SteveM732 [swm1.com] review of the 208B.
=> All the vias are on the board now (no more surface mounted wires), the solderings look neat and clean. It passed visual inspection with my magnifying glasses and multimeter signal test for the most critical connections.
This makes me angrier as I know this is a revised version (v5.1 it seems) and I'm just out of luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N6145k View Post
You may be able to remove some transistors, flash it with the right firmware, and then replace those transistors. But wait for junsi to let you know.
Gtaris is offline Find More Posts by Gtaris
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:52 PM
can't buy vaporware
Joined Nov 2011
8,517 Posts
Ah, I thought you flashed it with the wrong firmware. I misunderstood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtaris View Post
What do you mean by "flashing it with the right firmware" ? My unit has never run correctly nor charged, ever since I received it yesterday.
I flashed it with the four latest firmwares (for the 208B) to test it but without luck, it always gives me the same error message. The only difference being, firmware 3.10~3.13 let's me navigate through the menu and options but gives me the "ERR:FLASH Memory" when it boots up and when trying to start charging, while it reboots every 2-3 seconds and hangs completely with firmware 3.14.

Replacing transistors wouldn't be a problem. I have the gear and experience for it.
But first I have to know what is causing this problem. I'm really annoyed with this "ERR:FLASH Memory" message.
I've openend it now and I have to say the PCB doesn't really look like the pictures on SteveM732 [swm1.com] review of the 208B.
=> All the vias are on the board now (no more surface mounted wires), the solderings look neat and clean. It passed visual inspection with my magnifying glasses and multimeter signal test for the most critical connections.
This makes me angrier as I know this is a revised version (v5.1 it seems) and I'm just out of luck.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:53 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3 Posts
Hey N6145k, no problem
Anyway, I have to thank you because your answer gave me some ideas.
Gtaris is offline Find More Posts by Gtaris
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:57 PM
Joined Oct 2011
980 Posts
Connection lipos to paraboard 101 query

These 2S 7.4V 1000mah lipos charge via the XH balance lead only on the stock Walkera charger (JST not connected -- also the same applies to the 3S TX battery)

If I have a 306B with an XH / XT60 paraboard, can I just plug in the balance leads only of these 2S cells and get proper balance charges on them? Or using the 306B will I have to plug in those JST leads also?

Likewise with these 3S 11.1V 850mah lipos They have the same type of leads as the Walkera 3S TX lipo mentioned above that charges via the XH lead only.

With these 850 3S lipos, can I charge them OK on the 306B using only the XH balance connectors on the XH / XT60 balance board? Or will the JST plugs have to be plugged in to the 306B?

I don't see a JST paraboard at EPBuddy (I'd like to use the XH / XT60 paraboard anyway as it serves my main purpose)..

I've seen connectors that adapt JST to XT60. Looks like these might work if the JST on the above described batteries must be plugged into the 306B paraboard. I'm trying to figure out what accessories to buy along with the 306B.

I'm brand new to this field -- thanks for your patience and assistance.
syzygyQ is offline Find More Posts by syzygyQ
Old Jul 19, 2012, 03:11 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygyQ View Post
These 2S 7.4V 1000mah lipos charge via the XH balance lead only on the stock Walkera charger (JST not connected -- also the same applies to the 3S TX battery)

If I have a 306B with an XH / XT60 paraboard, can I just plug in the balance leads only of these 2S cells and get proper balance charges on them? Or using the 306B will I have to plug in those JST leads also?

Likewise with these 3S 11.1V 850mah lipos They have the same type of leads as the Walkera 3S TX lipo mentioned above that charges via the XH lead only.

With these 850 3S lipos, can I charge them OK on the 306B using only the XH balance connectors on the XH / XT60 balance board? Or will the JST plugs have to be plugged in to the 306B?

I don't see a JST paraboard at EPBuddy (I'd like to use the XH / XT60 paraboard anyway as it serves my main purpose)..

I've seen connectors that adapt JST to XT60. Looks like these might work if the JST on the above described batteries must be plugged into the 306B paraboard. I'm trying to figure out what accessories to buy along with the 306B.

I'm brand new to this field -- thanks for your patience and assistance.
The 306b like most high power chargers will not charge through the balance connector. The main leads must be connected. Getting some of those JST to XT60 adapters is what you need to do.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver