HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 08, 2014, 09:49 PM
United States, NM, Farmington
Joined Dec 2006
33 Posts
Discussion
Problem Flashing Afro ESC

I ordered 6 of the 30A Afro ESC's from Hobbyking as well as the Afro USB Programmer with them. Got them in today and decided to flash them to newest version of the firmware.

First 2 I flashed went just fine.

The next one started giving an error.

Quote:
avrdude.exe: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.13s

avrdude.exe: Device signature = 0x1e9307
avrdude.exe: erasing chip
avrdude.exe: reading input file "C:\Multicopter Flash\Beta\tmp\tgy-master\afro_nfet.hex"
avrdude.exe: writing flash (8192 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 9.00s

avrdude.exe: 8192 bytes of flash written
avrdude.exe: verifying flash memory against C:\Multicopter Flash\Beta\tmp\tgy-master\afro_nfet.hex:
avrdude.exe: load data flash data from input file C:\Multicopter Flash\Beta\tmp\tgy-master\afro_nfet.hex:
avrdude.exe: input file C:\Multicopter Flash\Beta\tmp\tgy-master\afro_nfet.hex contains 8192 bytes
avrdude.exe: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 8.73s

avrdude.exe: verifying ...
avrdude.exe: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000
0x11 != 0x6e
avrdude.exe: verification error; content mismatch

avrdude.exe done. Thank you.

Error during writing flash.
I tried to flash it a few times with same result, so I thought I may have had a bad one. Tried the next one with same results.. So I thought maybe the USB Flashing tool somehow broke. So I decided to try the last one, and it worked just fine.
  • Yes, It's the latest version of kkMulticopter (Tried 0.77 and 0.76)
  • Yes, It's plugged into power, and the power pin on the jumper is unplugged.
  • Yes, I've tried rebooting, different USB ports, etc.
No matter what I do I cannot get the last 2 to flash.
Should I return the 2 to HobbyKing for an exchange, are they not usable now due to the flash failing? Or should they still work with the flash failing?

It still is doing the 2 startup beeps. The fact that it fails at byte 0x0000 makes me think its even failing to write anything or erase anything in the first place. But if the versions are mismatched would that be a problem?

Maybe I should just order 2 more and return these 2 so I don't have to wait forever for the exchange.
OsiViper is offline Find More Posts by OsiViper
Last edited by OsiViper; May 08, 2014 at 11:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2014, 11:13 PM
Joined Dec 2006
33 Posts
Decided to check them to see if there was anything electrically different.
Measured the resistance across different points of the ESC.

And surprisingly the good ones and bad ones had different values.. and the values seemed to correspond with each other. The good ones were very close to a set value, while the two bad ones were almost identical as well.
Old May 09, 2014, 02:29 PM
Joined Dec 2006
33 Posts
No one?
Old May 14, 2014, 02:52 AM
Joined Feb 2013
2 Posts
Problem Flashing Afro ESC

I have the same exact problem. 4 Afro 30 amps purchased about 6 months ago that have been proven flight worthy in a seasoned quad. In the process of transferring the Afros to a new quad being built, I decided to update the firmware to the latest. Flashed 2 without issue to the 3/14 firmware, but received the same error message with the last 2. Interesting trend though is that the 2 that flashed fine had 35/13 sticker on the atmel chip while the 2 failed ones both had 32/13 stickers. Might be differing flashed firmware version dates vs. revision number? Nonetheless, the hardware might be different versions. I considered reflashing the firmware along with the bootloader by flashing using the pad technique (via usbasp technique) instead of just via the servo lead with the USB Linker (similar to your Afro USB flasher), thinking that the included Bootloader may be corrupt somehow. Did not have enough time to try yet. Hoping to get some insight into the issue via Google, I found your post in the process. This must have been a known issue, but your post is so far the only mention of the error. Like you, I also connected motors to the ESC so I could hear the ESC beeps. All 4 ESCs fired up with the same tones. The failed ESC's are likely still fully functional (not tested via flight yet). Just not sure which firmware the failed ones are actually running off on.
LazyFlyer is offline Find More Posts by LazyFlyer
Old May 17, 2014, 03:33 AM
Joined Feb 2013
2 Posts
Problem solved

Problem solved. It was the bootloader, either corrupt or simply incompatible. Went ahead and re-flashed the Afro's via the pads using USBasp flashing tool instead of using the USB linker via the servo lead. Technique same as flashing virgin F30a's. Make sure 2 pins are reversed though, the ground and Reset (these are opposite positions for the Afros and F30's). The 3-2014 Afro nfet "with bootloader" was then flashed without issue. (only the version without the bootloader can be used if flashing via the servo lead with the afro flasher or usb linker. Flashing through the servo lead can only be possible with the enabling bootloader anyways).

To verify, I reflashed the firmware again but this time with the non-bootloader version using the original failed servo lead / usb linker method. Flashed successfully without error message.
LazyFlyer is offline Find More Posts by LazyFlyer
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:55 PM
In thrust we trust.
United States, FL, Tallahassee
Joined Jun 2013
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyFlyer View Post
Problem solved. It was the bootloader, either corrupt or simply incompatible. Went ahead and re-flashed the Afro's via the pads using USBasp flashing tool instead of using the USB linker via the servo lead. Technique same as flashing virgin F30a's. Make sure 2 pins are reversed though, the ground and Reset (these are opposite positions for the Afros and F30's). The 3-2014 Afro nfet "with bootloader" was then flashed without issue. (only the version without the bootloader can be used if flashing via the servo lead with the afro flasher or usb linker. Flashing through the servo lead can only be possible with the enabling bootloader anyways).

To verify, I reflashed the firmware again but this time with the non-bootloader version using the original failed servo lead / usb linker method. Flashed successfully without error message.
Hallelujah!!! I'm bumping this thread because I was having the same problem going CRAZY! Worked perfect. Thank you so much for posting your solution
mhendrix is offline Find More Posts by mhendrix
Old Aug 03, 2014, 07:19 PM
Joined Nov 2013
19 Posts
same problem

hi
i have the same problem about .. miss match , firmware verification, can some explain me how to flash the bootloader in to a afro esc 30 amp.??

i have the usbasp unit but the order of the connections confuse me ..
drbios is offline Find More Posts by drbios
Old Aug 04, 2014, 01:02 PM
In thrust we trust.
Joined Jun 2013
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbios View Post
hi
i have the same problem about .. miss match , firmware verification, can some explain me how to flash the bootloader in to a afro esc 30 amp.??

i have the usbasp unit but the order of the connections confuse me ..
I used this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...hing_tool.html

plugged in to my USBAsp - make sure yours had the right amount of pins or you'll need an adapter (can easily make one)
Old Aug 05, 2014, 04:47 PM
Joined Nov 2013
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendrix View Post
I used this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...hing_tool.html

plugged in to my USBAsp - make sure yours had the right amount of pins or you'll need an adapter (can easily make one)
that simple? some precaution using this tool on an afro 30a??
drbios is offline Find More Posts by drbios
Old Aug 05, 2014, 05:35 PM
In thrust we trust.
Joined Jun 2013
245 Posts
Worked perfect for me sir I cut the shrink wrap and it updated without issue!
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:26 PM
Nederland, OV, Kampen
Joined Nov 2010
160 Posts
removed
PH-SVV is online now Find More Posts by PH-SVV
Last edited by PH-SVV; Aug 26, 2014 at 01:01 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 11:39 AM
United Kingdom, England, Cheltenham
Joined Oct 2013
265 Posts
How can you flash with the USBasp tool, which pins on the afro ESC correspond ?
Any diagrams?

Thanks
guyfawkes is offline Find More Posts by guyfawkes