HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2012, 03:41 PM
North Plains, OR
Joined Nov 2003
491 Posts
Discussion
Help identify this aircraft

Curious what this aircraft is, my friend snapped a photo of it near the runway in Maui a few days ago.

Thanks,
Matt
Turbo442 is offline Find More Posts by Turbo442
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2012, 04:25 PM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,936 Posts
My guess, based on wing shape and apparent rotating (i.e., P-40-style retracts) is that it's part of a Skyraider (AD-1, A1, all sorts of names -- they were a long-lived, reliable and versatile bird). Any idea of what the original paint colors are, or if there are any manufacturer's info plates on what is left?

CD
Captain Dunsel is offline Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:07 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,272 Posts
I wouldn't have the wildest clue what it is but to me it looks too small to be a SPAD. My two cents.
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:57 AM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,936 Posts
I agree, it does look too small to be an AD. I'd like some more info about it; i.e., is the gear retractable? Are there any data plates?
Captain Dunsel is offline Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:54 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,406 Posts
Looks like a Sabre.
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Old Jun 19, 2012, 07:40 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
Why guess? If it is "near the runway in Maui", the logical method to identify the wreckage would first be to ask the Maui airport authorities.

I'm sure they would know the story behind any aircraft remains near the runway. They tend to be interested in things like that.
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:48 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,272 Posts
Those blue flames do ,for some reason, remind me of a Sabre. But I still think it's too small for something like that also. But my wife tells me I've been wrong before.

Are we, btw, looking at the same airplane in both pictures??
Old Jun 21, 2012, 07:46 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,406 Posts
Hi guys, here's why I think it's a Sabre;
First pic is from the right side of a swept wing F-86 that has the forward fuselage chewed off as well as the right wing at about 60% out. Note the canopy rails and seat rails on whats left of the nose area.
The second picture is of the same airplane with it's vertically oriented main gear, nearly no dihedral wing and flat bottomed cross section fuselage, complete with round hole in the "firewall" section (I think it's stainless) for the intake air.
I bet that the airport authorities know absolutely nothing factual about it being there. Only some local aviation enthusiasts!
Chris...
Last edited by stuntflyr; Jun 21, 2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 09:26 AM
Santo, Tx. La Tierra de Dios
Joined Nov 2005
151 Posts
F86 is the only airplane of that vintage that I can think of that the main landing gear strut is outboard of the wheel. There may others, but I can't think of any.
Whizz is offline Find More Posts by Whizz
Old Jun 22, 2012, 02:56 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,272 Posts
I would have to respectfully disagree that we are looking at the right side of the fuselage. If you click on and enlarge the first picture it appears the blue flames are travelling towards the right, so the nose would be to the left. Unless the flames were painted on backward, every flame job I've ever seen had the large part at the front of the vehicle. ie. Sabre, hot rod, motorcycle etc.

However, my wife reminds me daily I have been wrong before.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:06 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,406 Posts
Hi guys,

When the surf culture has been blowin' weed around that wreck for 50 years, I think they may have started that graffiti going the wrong direction. The airplane wasn't civilian with a flame job, I've been following Warbirds since the 60's and would've remembered one in Maui, that crashed, and that was painted in a flame job!

Check the gas cap locations on the top right wing and forward right side fuselage with this picture.

My buddy is an AA Captain that flies there regularly, maybe he'll ask where it is and find it and a data plate, that'll probably say NAA, Inglewood, CA.

Chris...

Old Jun 23, 2012, 09:37 AM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,272 Posts
The plot thickens.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 08:22 PM
Three green
Joined Oct 2007
148 Posts
F 86

I went and looked at a F86 that I have access to and I'm certain that this is one. The graffiti flames are backwards. When holding the pic by this plane it is easy to see. The lug on the gear leg lines up perfectly. The hole in the side lines up with an access panel. The round panel hole on the side is in the correct spot. The round access panel on the wing also lines up.
If you follow the angled line going up from the leading edge of the wing, it would have gone right through the pilot seat.
CT-7 is offline Find More Posts by CT-7
Old Jul 10, 2012, 04:39 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,272 Posts
So now we want to find out how the wreck got there, no?
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:27 AM
outstanding in the left field!
USA, IL, Marengo
Joined Feb 2007
738 Posts
best way to the crash site...

I think it flew in.
pyrobus is offline Find More Posts by pyrobus