HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2012, 01:32 PM
United States, MN, Cottage Grove
Joined Jul 2010
260 Posts
Have any of you guys put rudder to aileron mix in your Edge? Just wondering because I got mine to knife edge with rudder only over the weekend but I had to put 30 opposite aileron in one direction and 10 the other. Does that sound right?
UDO999 is offline Find More Posts by UDO999
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2012, 01:53 PM
FLYINGJUNKY
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
The order of steps is the same as the 55" Edge, I did not feel it was my place to change the established installation order. Never had to worry about thrust angles on any 3DHS bird....it is always built in to the motor box.
Thanks for the feedback.
I know the directions re:control horn have been the same in all of my 3dhs builds. I am almost done buiding mine and just added the b&e graphics. Maybe I will get to maiden her this weekend.
eschult is offline Find More Posts by eschult
Old Jul 30, 2012, 03:46 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,511 Posts
No mix required for my edge (58 or the 74)....just SLIGHT roll...nothing significant. How was the Rudder-Elevator coupling....was it tucking to gear or pulling canopy? Or just roll coupling?
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
Old Jul 30, 2012, 03:54 PM
Joined Jul 2010
260 Posts
Just roll coupling. I got the CG adjusted so it doesn't need any elevator in knife edge.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:15 PM
Joined Jul 2010
260 Posts
It flys like it's on rails the way it is. I was just wondering if I should try to figure out what is causing it. Maybe I should just fly it and forget about it?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:34 PM
FLYINGJUNKY
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
833 Posts
Finished tthe build a few minutes ago and i had added 1 1/2 oz. weight to the nose. Using two 3s 2800 I still have to push the batteries all the way to the fire wall. What is your suggestion. Add more weight??? Now when i run my 2200 packs it would be even lighter. How are you guys strapping the batteries down with them so far up.
Thanks,Eric
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:10 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschult View Post
Finished tthe build a few minutes ago and i had added 1 1/2 oz. weight to the nose. Using two 3s 2800 I still have to push the batteries all the way to the fire wall. What is your suggestion. Add more weight??? Now when i run my 2200 packs it would be even lighter. How are you guys strapping the batteries down with them so far up.
Thanks,Eric
read back in this thread...Bivens has a neat setup where he used a paint stirrer to strap his battery on, then slid it up under a brace on the back of the firewall and velcroed the back end to the battery tray. Others have added a second battery for RX and servos mounted near the firewall on the motor box.
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:16 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,049 Posts
Quote:
Thanks,Eric
This is why when I build my Edge, I'm going 5S with a Hacker A50-14XS, which is a slightly heavier motor and with the 5S should help to balance the plane. I know of a flier that put one of these motors in his 58" Edge and has run it on 6S with a 14X7 and got 1500 watts out of it....I can't wait to build mine!!

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jul 31, 2012, 07:56 AM
FLYINGJUNKY
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
833 Posts
Quote:
read back in this thread...Bivens has a neat setup where he used a paint stirrer to strap his battery on, then slid it up under a brace on the back of the firewall and velcroed the back end to the battery tray. Others have added a second battery for RX and servos mounted near the firewall on the motor box.
What did you do to get the cg right in your edge as I have the same set up as you do. When you say add a battery, you mean running a bec.
Thanks,eric
Old Jul 31, 2012, 09:52 AM
Joined Jan 2009
5,582 Posts
Quote:
What did you do to get the cg right in your edge as I have the same set up as you do. When you say add a battery, you mean running a bec.
Thanks,eric
No - I mean using a second battery, plugged in to the RX and also powering the servos and mounting that battery on the motor box. I used a 1500mah nimh battery that I had laying around. It was the same amount of weight as the lead I was going to use, and it serves a more useful function. Others have just added nose weight. Did you go back and look at the other posts in this thread on this topic?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post22179468

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=790

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=514
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:46 PM
FLYINGJUNKY
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
833 Posts
I looked at the previous posts and I think the battery running to the rx is a good idea. I have never ran just a battery to the rx before . I have also never used just a bec . I will have to do some research and find out how to do the battery and rx job.
Thanks
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:38 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
Joined Apr 2010
4,511 Posts
Quote:
Thanks,Eric
Quote:
No paint stirrer on my plane...but I did make a little "shelf" over the batts.....crossing from one side of the motor box to the other...up in the front.

So, basically, I just push the batts (a pair of 3s2600's) up under the shelf...then I use a regular velcro battery strap around the power leads of the battery and battery tray.....they cannot slide rearward when strapped, and the "shelf" over the packs keeps them from raising up. And, I mounted my BEC over the packs up on the shelf....it works really well for me.

Just like the pic below...but I just strap the large red/black wires to the battery tray plywood with one velcro strap to keep them from sliding back. I put balsa down on the battery tray under the packs so I could have plenty of area to put the sticky-velcro onto...since my packs are on each side of the "middle" of the box where you'd normally be able to use a single strip of velcro (if running a single 4s pack).

Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:44 PM
Joined Jan 2009
5,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post
No paint stirrer on my plane...but I did make a little "shelf" over the batts.....crossing from one side of the motor box to the other...up in the front.

So, basically, I just push the batts (a pair of 3s2600's) up under the shelf...then I use a regular velcro battery strap around the power leads of the battery and battery tray.....they cannot slide rearward when strapped, and the "shelf" over the packs keeps them from raising up. And, I mounted my BEC over the packs up on the shelf....it works really well for me.

Just like the pic below...but I just strap the large red/black wires to the battery tray plywood with one velcro strap to keep them from sliding back.
Sorry Mike for my incorrect attribution; my memory did not serve me well in this case

And thanks for reposting this info.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:48 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
Joined Apr 2010
4,511 Posts
I've heard of people strapping batts to paint-stir sticks...then making a place in the front of the box to slide the stick into....only needing to hold down the back now.

I think the shelf I make is easier...since it does not require strapping the batts to anything....I also use these 3s packs in my 48" planes.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:45 PM
FLYINGJUNKY
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post
I've heard of people strapping batts to paint-stir sticks...then making a place in the front of the box to slide the stick into....only needing to hold down the back now.

I think the shelf I make is easier...since it does not require strapping the batts to anything....I also use these 3s packs in my 48" planes.
Great info,thanks