Poll
To sim or not to sim, that is the question

I vote no.
beevous80002 is offline Find More Posts by beevous80002
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2010, 06:03 PM
Joined Mar 2007
1,147 Posts
If you plan on ever flying 3D then you need a sim. For basic sport flying you can get along without one.

Attempting 3D without a sim will result in a whole lot of crashing and expensive repairs.

Dan
Dan203 is offline Find More Posts by Dan203
Old Aug 23, 2010, 06:21 PM
Deutschland, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Münster
Joined Jan 2009
158 Posts
+1 for SIM. Just got Phoenix RC 4 days ago. I would never try 3D with my Heli first.
RazielSerafine is offline Find More Posts by RazielSerafine
Old Aug 23, 2010, 06:53 PM
United States, PA, Reading
Joined Mar 2009
483 Posts
Just like Beevous said,JUST DO IT! TOO MUCH FARTIN' AROUND. I'm a video game player,just turned 50 yesterday. But with a heli,go out and fly.That's what we did in the 'olden days'. MAN-UP!! LOL
tippytoe is offline Find More Posts by tippytoe
Old Aug 23, 2010, 07:48 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,948 Posts
To me a Sim is like.....one of those blow up dolls.................I prefer the real deal.
A*s,grass or cash...no one rides for free...lol

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Aug 23, 2010, 07:51 PM
Joined Mar 2007
1,147 Posts
Think about how much time you'll spend "FARTIN' AROUND" fixing the thing when you crash over and over. I'd much rather just push reset on the controller and try again.

Dan
Old Aug 23, 2010, 07:53 PM
Oops!
United States, CO, Florence
Joined Apr 2010
374 Posts
Got in a tank on the old raptor and 2 batts on theCP Pro, no crashes but was wondering if a simulator can duplicate a large beetle hitting just 1 main blade, throwing it out of balance, that would be some good practice there. Always wondered how they only stick to 1 blade.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 07:54 PM
Oops!
United States, CO, Florence
Joined Apr 2010
374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Think about how much time you'll spend "FARTIN' AROUND" fixing the thing when you crash over and over. I'd much rather just push reset on the controller and try again.

Dan
Didn't know "Staples" sold rc helis.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 08:05 PM
Joined Oct 2008
2,603 Posts
I was never a big fan of sims my self till I took the time to spend a few hours using one , then I seen that it had a lot of capability and now I have a respect for sims . If your going to compare a sim with real life for me it doesn’t , but what it does do is train your brain movements and how the heli moves around in that space , this is great for practice learning new moves ect . You could spend along time learning if you crash you could spend a few days on a sim and learn what ever it is you want , then take it to real life .
dazzzer1 is offline Find More Posts by dazzzer1
Old Aug 23, 2010, 08:36 PM
Joined Mar 2007
1,147 Posts
My guess... All you guys who don't like sims are just old! We all know old people and technology don't mix. Just keep using your typewriter gramps, I'm sure it works just as well for you.

In all seriousness I think that a sim is a very useful tool for practicing advanced 3D maneuvers before attempting them on the real thing. However when you're just starting out I think you'll have a LOT more fun if you just buy a small, durable, micro heli, or series of them (i.e. coax->45*->90*), and fly for real. A sim is really only necessary when you get to the point where you're trying maneuvers which could result in the complete destruction of the heli if you fail.

Dan
Old Aug 23, 2010, 08:48 PM
Joined Nov 2008
109 Posts
I think you're right about being old! I'm 44 and I vote NO on sim. But really the reason for that is I'm on the computer all day. Why go home and spend my free time on the computer? Doesn't make sense to me.

What about using a Hirobo Quark SRB SG for learning 3D instead of a sim.
tumble2k is offline Find More Posts by tumble2k
Old Aug 23, 2010, 09:39 PM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
I vote yes for 3D. For hovering and general flying
you may not don't need it but it can be very helpful.
I learned a lot without a sim but the sim did help me out big time on
some things.
I can fly around at will, go inverted, do flips and rolls, figure 8's,
and more on the sim but can't do all this in real flight at least not yet.
I can hover in all 4 directions, fly circles both directions, fly circuits,
do figure 8's, and fly around trees at this time. This is a combination of learning
with and without the sim.
Funny thing is that a couple things I can do in real life I can't do
on the sim or have a very hard time doing them...Hmm...?

The sim is great for hand to eye training.

Tom
Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
Last edited by Tom Z; Aug 24, 2010 at 12:01 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 09:40 PM
Australia...we live inverted.
Joined May 2008
5,409 Posts
Pretty much what Dan said. (you have certainly taken to this hobby and done plenty of research aka helicrack is flowing through the veins nicely!)

Remember how hard it was to hover a 90* FP heli initially. I found learning inverted hover to be just as hard...but the easy part about the initial upright hover training...the skids are between the heli and the ground.

Sure you can do the "fly two mistakes high" but that kinda requires a 450 or larger at least....and larger helis give you time to think a little. I prefer the smaller helis.

Learning inverted with a 4g3 and a Gaui 200 necessitated a Sim for me (RF4.5). Currently trying to learn piro flips and I love the virtual dirt!

One thing with sims though...you really have to "pretend" you are flying for real. Fly tight and within normal flight boundaries, and consider what caused your crashes etc.

Amp
Ampdraw is offline Find More Posts by Ampdraw
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:14 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,250 Posts
Dunno Only a very few SIMS are worth the disc they come on. Many ARE video games and at best are only good for learning (observing?) control reversal.
Problem is the 'Good ' sims cost as much as a decent heli.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Aug 24, 2010, 01:00 AM
Tail-in hover expert ;)
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Aug 2006
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumble2k View Post
What about using a Hirobo Quark SRB SG for learning 3D instead of a sim.
+1
I could not fly any heli on sim until I experienced flying a Hirobo Quark.
OTOH, the sim helped me learn flying the GAUI 200.
mediclavina is offline Find More Posts by mediclavina