Old Oct 05, 2015, 02:58 AM
Find More Posts by ZZ56
Nickel Belter
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Jun 2009
987 Posts
Build Log
1/32 Scale 'Salvage Monarch'

Even though there isn't much to show now, I've decided to start the build log for my latest project, the tug 'Salvage Monarch' in 1/32nd scale. I chose this scale because it fits - with my other two tugs, and into the trunk of my small car.

The owners were kind enough to provide me with the General Arrangement plans which have been preserved nicely except for the faded view of the upper decks. From these and photos of tugs also designed by the same firm, I was able to draw up the frames on computer and send them to my dad, who has a small CNC router. Not having a workshop or anything more than hand tools means i will have to contract out some of the heavier-duty work.

This is how things looked a few weeks after the keel and frames appeared in the mail.
ZZ56 is online now Find More Posts by ZZ56
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2015, 03:01 AM
Find More Posts by ZZ56
Nickel Belter
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Jun 2009
987 Posts
Rather than type up a buncha stuff that people may not care about, I'll assume anyone who wants to know any specifics about the model or full-size boat will just come forward and ask. We're all friends here (usually)(depending on how much #25 has been drunk)

Now the hull has been skinned with sixteenth-inch ply and planks in a spot where the ply would not form well. The planked section was fiberglassed internally, the whole inside of the hull received a coat of resin and the outside had a thin coat squeegee'd on. At least one more coat is coming up in the next few days. Very much like building a Shelley Foss kit.
Old Oct 05, 2015, 03:10 AM
Find More Posts by ZZ56
Nickel Belter
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Jun 2009
987 Posts
The motor... thing cost me over forty-five dollars in shipping, handling and border-crossing fees, and it was only 17 dollars to start with. I mean, it's still a bargain for a huge two-pound monstrosity, but I swear i'll never shop anywhere that ships by UPS only again.

Had to make a 5/16" to 3/16" adapter for the Dumas coupling, I bored one out to 1/4" before and there wasn't a lot of metal left. I may replace the stainless shaft with a brass shaft and just solder the whole thing together into one lump. The prop, shaft and stuffing box were a bit of an adventure... prop came bent, shaft too bent to turn in the bushings and did you know that a 5mm bore does not fit well on a 10-32 thread? I do... now.
Old Oct 05, 2015, 02:11 PM
Find More Posts by Tug Hercules
Tug Hercules Fireman
Canada, AB, Medicine Hat
Joined Mar 2008
364 Posts
Would You have a photo of the original Salvage Tug Monarch, that you could show??

Thank You.

Tug Hercules
Fireman Rick
Tug Hercules is offline Find More Posts by Tug Hercules
Old Oct 05, 2015, 02:27 PM
Find More Posts by ZZ56
Nickel Belter
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Jun 2009
987 Posts
I have a bunch of photos, including one of the original 'original' Salvage Monarch, when it was actually set up for salvage. I'm building it more or less as it is now, set up for towing work.
Old Oct 05, 2015, 02:36 PM
Find More Posts by Tim B.
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Aug 2009
11,516 Posts
Nice !

Cool you have such a good photo of the winch, will you build one for this model ?
Tim B. is online now Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Oct 05, 2015, 02:39 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ56 View Post
Even though there isn't much to show now, I've decided to start the build log for my latest project, the tug 'Salvage Monarch' in 1/32nd scale. I chose this scale because it fits - with my other two tugs, and into the trunk of my small car.
You must have a Big trunk in that small car ~

Old Oct 05, 2015, 03:18 PM
Find More Posts by ZZ56
Nickel Belter
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Jun 2009
987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B. View Post
Nice !

Cool you have such a good photo of the winch, will you build one for this model ?
Unfortunately, that is the eighty-ton steam wrecking winch that was removed in the sixties (???) and replaced with a hydraulic towing winch. I think that winch was in turn removed and replaced with what she has now. I will send another email to the owners when I'm ready and ask for deck and winch photos.

That photo is a little distorted, but the 'Peninsula' just baaarely fits into the trunk at 42". The 'Salvage Monarch' will be around 36" and fit perfectly.
Old Oct 05, 2015, 03:48 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,516 Posts
Quote:
the 'Peninsula' just baaarely fits into the trunk at 42". The 'Salvage Monarch' will be around 36" and fit perfectly.
Old Oct 05, 2015, 04:40 PM
Find More Posts by chum444
lots of water; some of it thin
United States, MA, Woods Hole
Joined Aug 2012
1,356 Posts
Quote:
I have a bunch of photos, including one of the original 'original' Salvage Monarch, when it was actually set up for salvage. I'm building it more or less as it is now, set up for towing work.
Nice looking tug. Watching your build.
chum444 is offline Find More Posts by chum444
Old Oct 05, 2015, 04:54 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,516 Posts
Interesting steering servo set up ~
Old Oct 05, 2015, 05:07 PM
Find More Posts by green-boat
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
5,001 Posts
Was that one of those monster motors from China?
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Oct 05, 2015, 05:43 PM
Find More Posts by f15pilot
United States, NC, Burlington
Joined May 2012
144 Posts
Nice job on the CAD drawing of the frames. Interlocking slot-slot and tab-slot is the best way to go. Let me know if you need anything CNC or laser cut- I really love the look of that kit! I'd be happy to do some trading for the plans
f15pilot is online now Find More Posts by f15pilot
Old Oct 05, 2015, 06:34 PM
Find More Posts by the goon
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
2,446 Posts
Good lookin' build .

Mark
the goon is online now Find More Posts by the goon
Old Oct 05, 2015, 09:40 PM
Find More Posts by louie R/C NUT
no such thing as to many boats
United States, NY, New York
Joined May 2010
2,819 Posts
Nice build I will be watching keep the update coming .
louie R/C NUT is online now Find More Posts by louie R/C NUT