Old Feb 05, 2016, 10:31 AM
Find More Posts by tmulligan
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
United States, AR, Jonesboro
Joined Mar 2013
1,179 Posts
I fly mine without the canopy. It flew off one day during a reverse Cuban Eight. The battery and the canopy both flew out. The plane amazingly floated to the ground upside down with almost no damage on landing. I never found the canopy or the battery. I'm sure they're hiding in the woods somewhere. But, the plane still flies beautifully.
tmulligan is online now Find More Posts by tmulligan
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2016, 11:37 AM
Find More Posts by RustySpork
United States, TX, Odessa
Joined Jun 2011
709 Posts
I was down for a bit after using my (1) battery on a big quad which crashed, just a few days ago I had the bright idea that I could snag a series connector and run 2x 3s 2700 60c together. It works great, kicking myself for taking so long to figure it out. Now I have at least two batteries to use, if my similar 3300 batteries aren't too heavy. I doubt they are. This will also bring my giant su47 back to life, along with my 6s parkzone habu. I just really didn't want to buy 6s batteries, they're not especially budget friendly.
RustySpork is online now Find More Posts by RustySpork
Old Feb 05, 2016, 05:02 PM
Find More Posts by heli-headcase
Multifaceted Heli Nut
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Oct 2004
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySpork View Post
I was down for a bit after using my (1) battery on a big quad which crashed, just a few days ago I had the bright idea that I could snag a series connector and run 2x 3s 2700 60c together. It works great, kicking myself for taking so long to figure it out. Now I have at least two batteries to use, if my similar 3300 batteries aren't too heavy. I doubt they are. This will also bring my giant su47 back to life, along with my 6s parkzone habu. I just really didn't want to buy 6s batteries, they're not especially budget friendly.
As-shipped, my Spledors included a Y-harness allowing two 3S packs to be used as one 6S pack. You're expected to have those blue EC3 connectors on your batts for compatibility but it should have been in the box.
heli-headcase is offline Find More Posts by heli-headcase
Old Feb 05, 2016, 05:20 PM
Find More Posts by Alan W
NY
Joined May 2000
2,345 Posts
.. a lot of them shipped without it in the box despite it being advertised as included

Horizon did provide you one if you contacted them about the mistake
Alan W is offline Find More Posts by Alan W
Old Feb 05, 2016, 05:43 PM
Joined Jun 2011
709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli-headcase View Post
As-shipped, my Spledors included a Y-harness allowing two 3S packs to be used as one 6S pack. You're expected to have those blue EC3 connectors on your batts for compatibility but it should have been in the box.
If it did, it's still in the box, which is now in my attic. Oh well, I use xt60 anyway.
Old Feb 06, 2016, 05:55 AM
Find More Posts by smking0656
United States, PA, Hamburg
Joined Aug 2008
74 Posts
I'm selling my Splendor this year because it fly's so good it was the only plane I flew last year. I have 8 other planes that I did not get out to fly. My son has one so I can still fly one if I want.
smking0656 is offline Find More Posts by smking0656
Old Feb 07, 2016, 04:02 PM
Joined Jun 2011
709 Posts
Two great flights today. Love the power and stability. I've gotta turn down the gains on all three axes, it was very windy and I feel like the gyros were overcompensating.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 10:03 PM
Joined Jun 2011
709 Posts
Awhile ago I chunked my original prop while messing around in my driveway, and I ended up cutting about 3/8" off each end, balanced fine. I was wondering, if I upgrade the ESC (which I have, to a 100A) would it spin that smaller prop on 7s? I recorded a peak of 55 amps on 6s.

I'll probably do a quick bench test tomorrow and see what's up, unless anyone here knows a reason I shouldn't, such as the motor being incapable.

Mathematically, it's an increase of 16 2/3 % voltage. With the typical way eflite underrates their electronics, I think it'll be just fine.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 10:27 PM
Joined Jun 2011
709 Posts
Looks like the same motor is happily spinning a 15x5.5 prop in the carbon z cub. Inch bigger than ours stock, loses 1.5 deg of pitch. Similar, I'm sure. One way to find out, I guess.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 02:23 PM
Joined Jun 2011
709 Posts
Well, that kind of went down the drain. The idea is sound, I think, but I ended up having to cut the prop down further to around 10.25". Not really suitable at that point, but I went ahead and did it anyway. On a 7s with that prop, it pulls about 41 amps. I've got a few other props to try, but not today.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 02:34 PM
Find More Posts by heli-headcase
Multifaceted Heli Nut
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Oct 2004
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySpork View Post
Well, that kind of went down the drain. The idea is sound, I think, but I ended up having to cut the prop down further to around 10.25". Not really suitable at that point, but I went ahead and did it anyway. On a 7s with that prop, it pulls about 41 amps. I've got a few other props to try, but not today.
That's the best way to find out - try it and see
heli-headcase is offline Find More Posts by heli-headcase
Old Feb 22, 2016, 03:30 PM
Joined Jun 2011
709 Posts
Yep. Only other viable options I have are a 10x8 that's a 4 blade, or an actual splendor prop, but I don't want to either run that on 7s or cut it. Maybe I'll pick up a couple and experiment.
Old Mar 02, 2016, 03:04 PM
Find More Posts by Wild Bill
Brawley, CA. USA
Joined May 2000
509 Posts
What does the stock motor weigh? I've been searching for over an hour off and on, using different search terms, for the info. At least I found out that the motor has a Kv of 525.
Wild Bill is online now Find More Posts by Wild Bill
Old Mar 02, 2016, 03:08 PM
Find More Posts by dbdukeboy
Newbe learning everyday!
United States, OH, Parma Heights
Joined Aug 2012
1,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill View Post
What does the stock motor weigh? I've been searching for over an hour off and on, using different search terms, for the info. At least I found out that the motor has a Kv of 525.
I have a spare motor at home I can weigh it for you later
dbdukeboy is offline Find More Posts by dbdukeboy
Old Mar 02, 2016, 03:45 PM
Find More Posts by Wild Bill
Brawley, CA. USA
Joined May 2000
509 Posts
I'd appreciate that.
Wild Bill is online now Find More Posts by Wild Bill