HorizonHobby.com Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Jan 14, 2016, 01:34 AM
Find More Posts by reely340
Austria, Vienna, Vienna
Joined Jun 2007
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kad View Post
Am I correct in believing that this item at BG is one of the uncredited knockoffs of your antenna design? (Don't want to buy it if it is)

http://www.banggood.com/Blue-Wizard-...p-1021362.html

-K
But they skipped the baluns, cheap copyists!
reely340 is offline Find More Posts by reely340
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2016, 10:48 PM
Find More Posts by pekote
Argentina, CH, Puerto Madryn
Joined May 2013
170 Posts
Sorry, I made a mistake...
pekote is offline Find More Posts by pekote
Old Feb 07, 2016, 09:54 AM
Find More Posts by siraeryn
Joined Feb 2016
2 Posts
First attempt CL and SPW

Hi Alex, and others that have tried this at home.
I've made two antennas, a cloverleaf as Tx and skew planar as Rx. When soldering back to the coax shield, I made small tinned tags from the shield and fixed the weld wire to them. This worked fairly well on the CL. On my SPW though, it didn't quite meet at the tip, so the wire overlaps slightly past the connection to the shield. Hopefully this is partially visible in the attached pic.

Will this shorten the effective length of the antenna lobe? Or have little effect?

I can't test yet as I'm just starting out and am waiting for my monitor to arrive.

Cheers,
Aaron
siraeryn is offline Find More Posts by siraeryn
Old Feb 07, 2016, 05:27 PM
Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
11,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by siraeryn View Post
Hi Alex, and others that have tried this at home.
I've made two antennas, a cloverleaf as Tx and skew planar as Rx. When soldering back to the coax shield, I made small tinned tags from the shield and fixed the weld wire to them. This worked fairly well on the CL. On my SPW though, it didn't quite meet at the tip, so the wire overlaps slightly past the connection to the shield. Hopefully this is partially visible in the attached pic.

Will this shorten the effective length of the antenna lobe? Or have little effect?

I can't test yet as I'm just starting out and am waiting for my monitor to arrive.

Cheers,
Aaron
These will do just fine for a DIY. Your gap at the feedpoint is a bit much, but other than that, it looks good. Do yourself a favor and add a little epoxy to the feedpoint to keep it from breaking in a crash.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member