Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:34 AM
Find More Posts by reely340
Austria, Vienna, Vienna
Joined Jun 2007
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kad View Post
Am I correct in believing that this item at BG is one of the uncredited knockoffs of your antenna design? (Don't want to buy it if it is)

http://www.banggood.com/Blue-Wizard-...p-1021362.html

-K
But they skipped the baluns, cheap copyists!
reely340 is offline Find More Posts by reely340
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2016, 09:48 PM
Find More Posts by pekote
Argentina, CH, Puerto Madryn
Joined May 2013
173 Posts
Sorry, I made a mistake...
pekote is offline Find More Posts by pekote
Old Feb 07, 2016, 08:54 AM
Find More Posts by siraeryn
Australia, WA, St James
Joined Feb 2016
14 Posts
First attempt CL and SPW

Hi Alex, and others that have tried this at home.
I've made two antennas, a cloverleaf as Tx and skew planar as Rx. When soldering back to the coax shield, I made small tinned tags from the shield and fixed the weld wire to them. This worked fairly well on the CL. On my SPW though, it didn't quite meet at the tip, so the wire overlaps slightly past the connection to the shield. Hopefully this is partially visible in the attached pic.

Will this shorten the effective length of the antenna lobe? Or have little effect?

I can't test yet as I'm just starting out and am waiting for my monitor to arrive.

Cheers,
Aaron
siraeryn is offline Find More Posts by siraeryn
Old Feb 07, 2016, 04:27 PM
Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
11,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by siraeryn View Post
Hi Alex, and others that have tried this at home.
I've made two antennas, a cloverleaf as Tx and skew planar as Rx. When soldering back to the coax shield, I made small tinned tags from the shield and fixed the weld wire to them. This worked fairly well on the CL. On my SPW though, it didn't quite meet at the tip, so the wire overlaps slightly past the connection to the shield. Hopefully this is partially visible in the attached pic.

Will this shorten the effective length of the antenna lobe? Or have little effect?

I can't test yet as I'm just starting out and am waiting for my monitor to arrive.

Cheers,
Aaron
These will do just fine for a DIY. Your gap at the feedpoint is a bit much, but other than that, it looks good. Do yourself a favor and add a little epoxy to the feedpoint to keep it from breaking in a crash.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2016, 04:29 PM
Find More Posts by davow
Australia, VIC, Brighton
Joined Aug 2006
19 Posts
Mistake
davow is offline Find More Posts by davow
Last edited by davow; Feb 14, 2016 at 04:41 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 04:45 PM
Find More Posts by davow
Australia, VIC, Brighton
Joined Aug 2006
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
50 ohm coaxial cable will not change the impedance of a 50 ohm load. Thus any length of proper coaxial cable will work. Of course, most cables are not 50 ohms past 2GHz and thus you will need to use special care when selecting a cable and length for these frequencies.

-Alex
Hi Alex,

So I have a bunch of your aerials however I've busted a few at the connectors after some bad prangs (sheered off the coax). When I repair with a new connector after having shortened the aerial by maybe 10 or 20mm, they just don't seem to work i.e range < 50 meters. I have RHCP bluebeam & race spec. Reading through this thread I'm getting mixed opinions on whether the coax length should be 70mm or longer or shorter depending on R316 or R402 etc etc or if it even matters.

Att is a pic which at face value looks like a mighty fine repair on a race spec. Pin is located nicely and shielded from coax. New coax length ~ 50mm.

I can only think my repair's aren't working due to shortened coax length?

TIA

Dave
davow is offline Find More Posts by davow
Last edited by davow; Feb 14, 2016 at 05:46 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 02:09 PM
Find More Posts by sniperxnl
Joined Sep 2014
32 Posts
What is the best way to bent 0.8mm welding wire?
sniperxnl is offline Find More Posts by sniperxnl
Old Feb 15, 2016, 02:45 PM
Find More Posts by Martin7182
Wallop!
Bussum, Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
1,046 Posts
Using pliers. Or just by hand. It depends on the arc you want to bend.

Martin
Martin7182 is offline Find More Posts by Martin7182
Old Feb 16, 2016, 12:43 AM
Find More Posts by killabx
Lancaster, CA
Joined Apr 2007
85 Posts
Hi Alex. First, thanks for creating this thread for everyone.

I have some questions about your post #4, where you specify the wire lengths. I am planning to build a 5.8GHz cloverleaf using three of the “short wires”:

1. I calculated the wavelength as: (983571056.43 ft/sec * 12 in/ft) / 5.8e9 cyc/sec = 2.035 in. Where did you get your value of 2.08 in, or for that matter, the value of 12088 in your equation?

2. You said that it appears to work best 1-2% longer than the electrical wavelength. Where did this 1-2% come from? Do you have a reference, or did you determine this empirically?

3. In which segments are the lengths critical? (feed segment, ground segment, curved segment)

4. Depending on how you solder the antenna wires to the coax, and how much of the center connector of the coax is exposed, the effective lengths of the straight segments will change, correct? Putting it another way, does the antenna start at the point where the shielding of the coax is stripped back from the center conductor? I'm just wondering if I need to take that into account, since I'm planning to use a different method for mounting the antenna.

Thanks!
killabx is offline Find More Posts by killabx
Old Feb 19, 2016, 06:26 PM
Find More Posts by LDGILLS
resU deretsigeR
United States, PA, Grove City
Joined Oct 2006
402 Posts
IBcrazy......thank you for the time and effort you put into this. Finally made a couple, and just wow......thank you so much. God bless.
LDGILLS is offline Find More Posts by LDGILLS
Old Feb 26, 2016, 10:54 PM
Find More Posts by Flyingwheels
Let's fly!!!
United States, CO, Louisville
Joined Sep 2015
23 Posts
I need to build cloverleaf 1.3Ghz antennas with 90 degree connectors for my quads and would like to know if anyone can help give me specific instructions as to exact parts I need and detailed instructions as how to build them. I have been having trouble finding any videos that give me the right size to cut what type of wire, how to attach the cable connectors, etc.
Flyingwheels is offline Find More Posts by Flyingwheels
Old Feb 27, 2016, 03:07 AM
Find More Posts by viper1
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwheels View Post
I need to build cloverleaf 1.3Ghz antennas with 90 degree connectors for my quads and would like to know if anyone can help give me specific instructions as to exact parts I need and detailed instructions as how to build them. I have been having trouble finding any videos that give me the right size to cut what type of wire, how to attach the cable connectors, etc.

Page 1 !!
viper1 is offline Find More Posts by viper1
Old Feb 27, 2016, 04:55 AM
Let's fly!!!
Joined Sep 2015
23 Posts
I'm not very tech savvy when it comes to this stuff yet. I need to build cloverleaf antennas for 1.3ghz and don't understand what connectors, tools (do I need a special crimper?), and wire I need and to what lengths everything should be. Is there any way you could help me out with these specifics please?
Last edited by Flyingwheels; Feb 27, 2016 at 05:17 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 07:12 AM
Find More Posts by Martin7182
Wallop!
Bussum, Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
1,046 Posts
First you need to choose between SMA and RP-SMA, which depends on the vtx/rtx. ImmersionRC, Lawmate etc use SMA and Boscam uses RP-SMA. For the cable type you have flexible thin coax like RG-316 and semi-rigid coax, e.g. RG-402. The former needs to be crimped and the latter is normally soldered. But if you don't have an SMA crimper you better get a male-to-mail pigtail which consists of a piece of coax with two male-connectors already crimped on. Simply cut the cable in half and you can make two antennas. Easy and cheap. On eBay they cost about $2.

Martin
Martin7182 is offline Find More Posts by Martin7182
Old Feb 27, 2016, 09:41 AM
Let's fly!!!
Joined Sep 2015
23 Posts
Thanks for the help, but does it matter how long the coax is? I'm using a fat shark rx and just a simple compatible tx. I'm not sure what the difference is between SMA and RP-SMA is. Don't have a crimper and none of the videos I have found show how to attach the connector. The other thing I don't understand is how long to cut the wire for each clover leaf for 1.3Ghz.
Last edited by Flyingwheels; Feb 27, 2016 at 09:53 AM.