Find More Posts by Mountain Models
BYOP - Build Your Own Planes
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Mar 2001
1,725 Posts
New Product
Mountain Models Taylorcraft

The Taylorcraft has been released!

Introducing the second of our Depron line of products, the 28" Taylorcraft Indoor/Cul-De-Sac flier.

Designed as a simple lightweight indoor and small field flyer, the Taylorcraft assembles quickly and uses inexpensive equipment for a fun plane that doesn't break the bank.

Weighing a whole 3.0 ounces, the Taylorcraft is easy to fly in small fields and indoor venues. Easy to build, easy to fly, but still fun for the experienced modeler!

As always, our kits are proudly MADE IN THE USA!
  • Wingspan: 28.0 in
  • Wing Area: 117 sq in
  • Flying Weight: 3.0 to 3.2 oz
  • Wing Loding: 3.7 to 3.9 oz/sq ft
  • Controls: 3 (Elevator, Rudder, Throttle)
  • Power: D1811-2000 Outrunner
  • Battery: 2S-300 to 2S-360

http://www.mountainmodels.com/produc...roducts_id=682

Join Mountain Models on FaceBook!
LINK
Mountain Models is offline Find More Posts by Mountain Models
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2010, 08:54 AM
Find More Posts by PrkFlyrRic
It's a BIG park
Killeen/Ft. Hood
Joined Apr 2007
1,088 Posts
Subscribed to thread and placed an order for one...
Looks to be a great plane for cruising around the yard in the evenings.

Ric
PrkFlyrRic is offline Find More Posts by PrkFlyrRic
Last edited by PrkFlyrRic; Oct 05, 2010 at 05:49 PM. Reason: .
Old Oct 05, 2010, 10:38 AM
Find More Posts by Harri3
Pan Pan Pan
Arizona
Joined Feb 2003
414 Posts
It seems their site is down right now. Looks like yet another need to have plane!
Harri3 is online now Find More Posts by Harri3
Old Oct 05, 2010, 06:37 PM
Joined Mar 2001
1,725 Posts
Don't know what happened to the site earlier, but it's back up and running again.
Old Oct 05, 2010, 11:30 PM
Find More Posts by cadconversions
Around the World
Scottsville, KY
Joined Jun 2002
5,644 Posts
Awesome little plane!
cadconversions is offline Find More Posts by cadconversions
Old Oct 07, 2010, 03:48 PM
Find More Posts by TexasClouds
Joined Feb 2010
2,171 Posts
3 ounces is nice!
TexasClouds is offline Find More Posts by TexasClouds
Old Oct 07, 2010, 07:41 PM
Joined Mar 2001
1,725 Posts
I kinda got into this whole 10 gram motor and 3mm depron thing. Originally, it was to get rid of a couple cases of 3mm Depron that I inherited from Doug. Well, those 2 cases are long since gone, but I'm still having fun with them. There will be many more planes coming out with this combination.
Old Oct 08, 2010, 11:51 PM
BEC
Find More Posts by BEC
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,963 Posts
Got mine today. I think I'm going to use primarily RC-56 as the adhesive. My return to model rocketry in the last few months (well, nearly two years now) has renewed my appreciation for PVA-type glues and the slower pace of building that goes with them.

I will likely also put a couple of small bamboo skewer sections in as wing hold-down pegs and not glue the wing on. Even on a plane this small I like to be able to take it apart for transport.

I've never built a whole plane out of Depron before (believe it or not). What is the favorite way to add a little color without adding lots of weight? I don't need to add much color if I use the same prototype as the 1/6 scale T-Craft I built for the 1989 NATS (Astro 40 cobalt-powered) as it is a white airplane with some blue and yellow trim. Here's a pic: http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/d...ront_right.jpg
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Last edited by BEC; Oct 09, 2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old Oct 09, 2010, 04:28 AM
Find More Posts by buzzltyr
Obviously I'm a "Minus Member"
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC View Post
What is the favorite way to add a little color without adding lots of weight?
BEC, I saw Brian's prototype T-craft at NEAT. He used a mask and airbrushed paint on his. The paint will certainly add a bit of weight. Being the lazy sort (and not being very competent with an airbrush) I've used colored markers/Sharpies to add color to my Depron planes. Which adds zero weight.
I don't always get intense color from the markers, so sometimes it may take several applications.

Mark
buzzltyr is online now Find More Posts by buzzltyr
Old Oct 09, 2010, 10:10 AM
It's a BIG park
Killeen/Ft. Hood
Joined Apr 2007
1,088 Posts
I agree with Mark,
Sharpie markers are the way to go.
You have to be real carefull with paint since many of them will melt the foam.
Check some of the ideas in this thread. Depron finishing / painting

Ric
Last edited by PrkFlyrRic; Oct 09, 2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 03:36 PM
It's a BIG park
Killeen/Ft. Hood
Joined Apr 2007
1,088 Posts
3.4oz, 96g RTF
I went a little heavy, I used more epoxy mixed with miro-ballons on the wing joiner than needed, and triming the battery wires would have saved some weight.
I'm waiting to see if the wind lets up this evening for the maiden flight.

Ric
Old Oct 15, 2010, 07:20 PM
It's a BIG park
Killeen/Ft. Hood
Joined Apr 2007
1,088 Posts
T Craft Maidened

Flew it in maybe 3mph breezes this afternoon.
Flies great as is. I did knock the landing gear off once in the grass. Combination of tall grass and trying to power back up. Just glued them back.
It's probably best to leave the gear off for outside flying, lands fine on the belly.
A nice cheap plane for indoor flying or those few low to no wind days outdoors.
I like it.
Ric
Old Feb 07, 2012, 11:54 AM
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,901 Posts
I decided I needed another indoor plane, so I ordered up the Taylorcraft from Brian.

It took me about three hours to build it. I had intended to take pictures along the way, but it went along so quickly that I sort of forgot.

I made two modifications to the kit. I put a steerable tailwheel on it instead of the supplied skid. And, because I just felt I had to, I put wing struts on it.

The equipment is mostly as spec'd by Brian: 10 gram motor, 3.7 gram servos, 6 amp ESC and 2 cell 360mAh battery. My AUW is 3.6 oz, which is heavier than Brian's recommendation by a bit. The additional weight is probably due to the tailwheel, the struts, and liberal use of glue. The wing loading calculation says that it has the whopping loading of 4.4 oz. So I don't think it's going to be too fast for indoor, and will probably be OK outdoors on a calm day.

It's been windy here when I've had the opportunity to fly, so I haven't had a chance to maiden it yet. I'm hoping tomorrow is a windless day and I can get out for a few minutes and commit aviation with the Taylorcraft.

I'm putting a few pics below, including the one I used as a model for the scheme, which was all done with black Sharpies. I will admit that I wish that the nose/cowl area of this model was more rounded and therefore more Taylorcraft-ish. I do like the diamond shaped nosebowl that the T-craft has. But at 50 feet away in a dimly lit sports dome, I don't think anyone will notice.

Mark
Old Feb 08, 2012, 08:17 AM
Joined Mar 2001
1,725 Posts
Looks great Mark! You probably won't notice anything at that weight. It'll fly just fine. In fact, you'll be limiting your throttle a lot, unless you plan on going vertical for a long time. ;-)
Old Feb 08, 2012, 02:52 PM
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,901 Posts
It was nice and quiet outside this morning, so I took the Taylorcraft out to a local park. Required just a little bit of trim, but flew very nicely. This afternoon I went to a local sports dome for their weekly indoor flying. Again, had a couple of nice flights with the Taylorcraft, some decent touch and goes, etc. Unfortunately, my day of flying with it ended when I got mid aired. But I think it's repairable.

I also took my Little Bogie for a change, and flew that indoors. I was surprised at how well it slowed down (I guess I'm used to flying it outdoors at a much higher throttle setting than is actually required for flight). Just did lazy circuits and figure eights about three feet off the floor. At the lower power setting, I think I probably flew 12 minutes on one battery, and I don't think I was anywhere near lvc. Just had a great time with the Bogie, and I would definitely fly it indoors again.

Mark