SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 02, 2015, 03:28 PM
Find More Posts by fred256
Joined Jan 2014
82 Posts
Question
First 3D plane

What would be a good plane to start practicing 3D aerobatics? I can fly basic 4-channel aerobatics (loops, rolls, cuban 8s, hammerheads) but would like to expand into 3D flying at some point.

I'm looking for a relatively compact plane (under 40" wingspan). Considering among the following choices:
* E-Flite UMX Sbach 342
* E-Flite Viking 12 280
* some Twisted Hobbys foamy (which one? -- the Crack Turbo Beaver appeals to me but understand it's rather "different")

Any suggestions or advice appreciated.
fred256 is online now Find More Posts by fred256
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2015, 05:12 PM
Find More Posts by Ericmacc
United States, MN
Joined Oct 2014
95 Posts
I just built and am flying the twisted hobbys MXS-C. It is a good plane to learn on as I am also learning 3d. It has held up through a bunch of crashes and is still going strong.
Eric
Ericmacc is offline Find More Posts by Ericmacc
Old May 03, 2015, 12:37 AM
Find More Posts by S.Davy
Save a tree fly a foamy
United States, CA, Marshall
Joined Apr 2005
518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred256 View Post
What would be a good plane to start practicing 3D aerobatics?
Consider this one:

Stunt Master (3 min 10 sec)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEFSJ&P=ML

Quote:
Any suggestions or advice appreciated.
Advice:Make sure that you fully understand the function of the exponential feature on your transmitter and how it relates to the set-up of your plane.

Suggestion : Have fun!
S.Davy is offline Find More Posts by S.Davy
Last edited by S.Davy; May 03, 2015 at 12:42 AM.
Old May 03, 2015, 01:37 AM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
11,463 Posts
Value Hobbys has line of profile foamies and very cheap price. I just built one of 32" planes and pretty darn sweet. You can get kit/ motor/ esc/ servos for price of twisted hobby bird basic. Msaybe not as good but not bad at all. Its my first fomaie 3 D.
The Value hobby planes thread has great info. Spastic has build thred and quite good. He designed a few of birds Value sells.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old May 03, 2015, 02:39 AM
Find More Posts by Dan the man
Sydney Kingsford, Australia
Joined Feb 2004
273 Posts
Hey mate,

It's a no brainier really. I'd go the twisted hobbies 32" Crack Yak. It's a sweet flying plane but it will also got to hell and back. I fly both the MXS-C and the Crack Yak and their both very good but if I where you go the Crack Yak. It won't let you down.

You'll also need something to handle the weather as well so I'd also look at the at the Twisted hobbies 39" and 48" planes as well.

I hope this helps.

All the Best

Danny
Dan the man is offline Find More Posts by Dan the man
Old May 03, 2015, 08:40 AM
Find More Posts by Time Portal
United States, CA, San Diego County
Joined Mar 2014
37 Posts
My first plane coming back into RC after a long hiatus was a UMX Yak. Amazing little plane, flies like a 36" gasser which is remarkable for an 18" span. It has great pattern and sport capability, and will get you started in 3D, but the wing loading is still quite high to be a good 3D trainer. Your UMX Sbach option will fly much the same. (AS3X does help with harriers though! Wonderful harriers.)

The Viking option will be similar to my second plane, an Eflite Inverza. Bigger, better pattern and sport, and more difficult 3D IMO. Wing loading is just too high, and while it can be slowed down, its sweet spot is higher speed. Again, IMO. [*See edit below.]

My third plane after coming back into RC, in the pursuit of 3D, is a Twisted Hobbies 39" Edge. This is much much lighter wing loading than my other planes, and its sweet spot is nice and slow, plenty of time for me to figure out what's next. Loves to harrier, loves to stay slow, and it gives me confidence to get lower and see the plane. Any of the seriously low wing loading planes will do this well, and I really like the crash confidence that EPP foam gives me. I'm no 3D nut, but the past few weeks with this plane have taught me a lot of new skills.

Being a light kite, it won't handle wind like the heavier planes, but throw on a bigger battery and it's close.

Edit: On second thought, the Viking with AS3X should have some great stability over my Inverza. But wing loading is still high, which means some natural inclination for faster flight than light foam profile planes. Depends on what you want.
Time Portal is offline Find More Posts by Time Portal
Last edited by Time Portal; May 03, 2015 at 10:05 AM.
Old May 03, 2015, 02:59 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
11,463 Posts
All these birds i'm sure are fine. The value hobby kits are hard to beat for price. crack Yak kit is $75.00 with L/G. similar kit from V/H is $25.00. If this is first one whole kit/ motor/ esc/ servos and battery for same price. Hey not my dime and Twisted hobbies stuff looks good. No peeing contest but my Red Bull 3 D came out really nice. Plane as its sits with 500 ma 30 C 3 cell battery RTF cost was $70.35 with shipping. thats kit/ motor/ esc/ battery and three servos.

I did a few mods as made axels for 1 3/3" DuBro lite wheels @$2.59. Used half tube Quick grip @ $4.00 2 oz tube..net $2.00 Plus I added cabbon rod and axle/tail wheel app anoth $1.00,. That said still same price as Crack yak basic kit with L/G. Yes I'm sure Crack yak may be better , but hey its your first bird.

RX is up to flyer. all kits need them anyway and did not include that in my price. I used AR6100.
Old May 05, 2015, 06:11 AM
Find More Posts by Dermensch
Joined May 2014
218 Posts
Go for a twisted hobbys plane. I would prefer a more traditional design like the crack yak or the mxs-c over the beaver. The beaver is silly funny but ill find it a little harder to fly than the normal ones. I would choose a standard thickness 32 inch plane or a 39 inch. The are flying extremely well. The standard 32s are a little more durable and the awesome for a beginner in 3d. Heres my flash and my mxs-c... love them All i can do i learned from twisted planes

RC Factory Flash D (4 min 4 sec)

Twisted Hobbys MXS-C around the house (4 min 18 sec)
Dermensch is offline Find More Posts by Dermensch
Old May 05, 2015, 12:12 PM
Find More Posts by Redbaron25
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,191 Posts
Fred, if you want to build your own 3D plane rather than buy a kit, then this one is a great starter and very simple to build. The designer has kindly made the plans available for free in the thread. I'm building one myself right now as my first 3D plane.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1263785

Entire plane can be built from one sheet of 1000mm x 700mm 6mm Depron and a couple of carbon tubes. I'm looking forward to finishing mine soon.
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old May 05, 2015, 07:27 PM
Find More Posts by Xenharmonic
Joined Apr 2015
30 Posts
I'm not sure why people are recommending ARF's like Twisted Hobbys to new players, unless you really enjoy assembling things just get BNF and that way if you crash it you haven't invested nearly as much time into the airplane.

PS: Parkzone Sukhoi SU29 and Visionaire look really good (not the night version, it's 200g heavier).
Xenharmonic is offline Find More Posts by Xenharmonic
Old May 05, 2015, 07:31 PM
Find More Posts by Eagle2Nitro
Unregistered User
United States, LA
Joined Apr 2014
1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenharmonic View Post
I'm not sure why people are recommending ARF's like Twisted Hobbys to new players, unless you really enjoy assembling things just get BNF and that way if you crash it you haven't invested nearly as much time into the airplane.

PS: Parkzone Sukhoi SU29 and Visionaire look really good (not the night version, it's 200g heavier).
Because (a) Twisted Hobbys planes are waaay easier to 3D than the VisionAire or the SU-29, so they make it easier to learn, and (b) the TH EPP's are tougher, so you can crash over and over again.

And, the TH 32" EPP's aren't very hard to build even for a new builder, if you take your time.
Eagle2Nitro is online now Find More Posts by Eagle2Nitro
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Youtube Channel
Old May 05, 2015, 08:30 PM
Find More Posts by fred256
Joined Jan 2014
82 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I don't mind building: I have built a number of FliteTest planes and looked through the Twisted Hobbys assembly manuals and they seem entirely doable.
fred256 is online now Find More Posts by fred256
Old May 06, 2015, 12:52 AM
Find More Posts by Dermensch
Joined May 2014
218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenharmonic View Post

The build is done in short time even if its your first. Just take a little time and follow the manual/build threads and all will be cool in one or the evenings

I fly with rc airplanes about 7 years now and also wanted to learn 3d for a long time but had to much fear of building up an arf so i bought the bnf´s that where availible there like the parkzone extra, carbon z yak and a few more. And what did i learn on them??? Safe and good sports flying yes... but 3d? No. Its harder to do on planes like this and theres also the factor that you cannot crash them to the ground 100 times and just pick up and fly again.

A little more than one year ago i choosed to try a crack yak and forgot about my building fears. In this year i learned much more 3d flying than the 4 years of flying bnfs together, and the cool thing is. Now im used to 3d i can do it also on these bnfs and also on balsa birds

So for me... EPP Kits are by FAR THE BEST way to get into 3d. They do it well and are nearly indestructable

Heres my good old carbon z yak after about one year of training with the twisted birds

E-flite Carbon-Z Yak flight by börni (3 min 33 sec)
Dermensch is offline Find More Posts by Dermensch
Old May 06, 2015, 01:54 AM
Find More Posts by bladefan
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jun 2006
384 Posts
can't go wrong with an EPP plane to start. I started with a mini crack yak a couple of years ago. Its on its 3rd motor (first was fragile and destroyed early) and the second was merely upgraded. The landing gear has been sheared off, the nose taped a bunch, the control surfaces re-hinged. It's still going! But not exactly straight anymore. its still good for teaching me things though.

I have a 32 in leadfeather yak thats been beat on and I just finished a valuehobby 32in EPP. I love it too. I wish I had gotten the cheap VH ones first. Now that I'm better and crash less and not as hard (usually), I wish I had a pristine crack yak (or mini). There's definatly a significant difference because the VH is pretty heavy for the class. A beginner would not really appreciate the difference. For about $65, the VH plane is pretty much complete.

Twisted offerings are great. also have a nice build video and instructions which teach you some great building techniques that will help make the models even lighter. Plus theres a dedicated following here on RCG that is enthusiastic about helping. The VH thread also has a lot of great people willing to help too.
bladefan is offline Find More Posts by bladefan
Old May 07, 2015, 12:21 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
11,463 Posts
I'm sure Twisted offerings are very good. i see alot about them. The Value Hobby kits have very bad instructions,. In fact more than bad they are wrong.
That said hey there proflies and how hard can it be.? Plus there is a buiid blog on spastic site. Crack Yak with L/G is $75.00. VH the whole deal is less. Anyway good luck and these birds are cool. i built my first 32" foamie 3 D and sure will not be last. Another kit on the way plus have a 39" bird going to build soon.
What I like about 3 D profiles is rudder works big time. Flying helis for last three years rudder is very important. Now if wind would die down.