New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 26, 2016, 04:13 PM
Find More Posts by bdoxey
United States, AL, Birmingham
Joined Nov 2013
47 Posts
Discussion
Finally!!

I have flown RC for over 40 years, fixed wing and helicopters, but never really noticed autogyros.

I spent most of 2013 working overseas and while surfing on the internet discovered them. The more I read the more excited I got about building and flying one when I returned home. I read many of the threads here and watched innumerable videos. The one that really got me excited was the DAG 60.

I started with a Scout and a DAG R1, and of course had to try an RPG. After many trials - and much help from people on here - I finally learned enough to be somewhat successful. During all this time I was building my "pinnacle machine," the DAG 60. One of the videos that inspired me the most was one from 'britinoz' flying his DAG DeVille as he calls it. That was what I thought an autogyro should look like.

If you have seen his video you will see that my DAG was heavily inspired by his. It's different, but not by much. I hope he takes it as the sincerest form of flattery.

I built it mostly stock per the plans, including stock blades. It is covered with Solartex white and painted with Rustoleum red. Power is provided by a DLE-20 with a 17-6 prop. The cowl and wheel pants are generic ones from Fiberglass Specialities. While the landing gear is quite different, I made every attempt to have the wheels in the same location relative to the fuselage as the plans show.

I was worried about getting the blades spinning with a roll-only head. No issues at all and it spins up better than my smaller machines with a full DC head. It also makes it almost impossible to lift off too early and invoke the dreaded left roll. The video was in no wind conditions so you can see how well it spins up.

Here's my video. This is about flight number 12 so I am still feeling it out, but it is already a great flying machine! The DLE-20 seems perfect for it.

Bryan

DAG 60 Flight (8 min 11 sec)
bdoxey is offline Find More Posts by bdoxey
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2016, 10:39 PM
Find More Posts by jimwolg
Everett
Joined Nov 2008
21 Posts
Very good video. Great job on building your DAG 60. Whomever was your camera operator deserves some kudos for a their camera work.
jimwolg is offline Find More Posts by jimwolg
Old Jun 27, 2016, 01:00 AM
Find More Posts by mac2286
USA, IN, Commiskey
Joined Oct 2007
344 Posts
Very nice work. You seem to have that one flying great. I have been working my way up to a gasser. For some reason I didn't think that one was big enough for the DLE20. Was I wrong.
Again great job and keep the videos coming. Could you post some pictures of your engine setup?

Jimmy
mac2286 is offline Find More Posts by mac2286
Old Jun 27, 2016, 04:53 AM
Joined Nov 2013
47 Posts
Thanks Jimmy

I am really happy with the DLE-20. A few fun facts:

The DLE-20 weighs 2 to 5 ounces less than 120-140 size glow 4-strokes. That's including the muffler and the electronic ignition. Once you add the ignition battery I guess the weights are very similar.

The DLE-20 is a beam mount engine just like glow.

The DLE-20 claims 2.5 hp vs. the 4-strokes' 2.0 hp.

Right now I fly for 13 minutes on my timer and use about 8 ounces of gas.

Much easier clean-up with gas.

Gas sounds really cool.

I'm out of town until later in the week. I will post some engine mounting pictures when I get back home.

jimwolg: Thanks for the kind words. My wife took with video with her new iPad. I think she did an excellent job too.

Bryan
Old Jun 27, 2016, 04:24 PM
Find More Posts by BigTradioman
United Kingdom, Harpenden
Joined Oct 2009
1,545 Posts
Very very nice, excellent flying, impressive right turns!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BigTradioman is online now Find More Posts by BigTradioman
Old Jun 28, 2016, 04:12 AM
Find More Posts by britinoz
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
2,106 Posts
Bryan
WOW.... My compliments on a great job...It does just look so right for an autogyro & it's nice to think that I helped to inspire a fellow modeller. great flying ...and as Mr T points out ...great right turns.
Happy Landings
Chris...
britinoz is online now Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Jul 03, 2016, 03:45 PM
Joined Nov 2013
47 Posts
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I am still trimming out the big DAG, and it gets more fun every day. I really like this machine!

Jimmy, here are some engine pictures you asked for. The DLE-20 is a sweet running engine and fits the model perfectly in my opinion.

Bryan
Old Jul 03, 2016, 08:21 PM
USA, IN, Commiskey
Joined Oct 2007
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoxey View Post
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I am still trimming out the big DAG, and it gets more fun every day. I really like this machine!

Jimmy, here are some engine pictures you asked for. The DLE-20 is a sweet running engine and fits the model perfectly in my opinion.

Bryan
That is one great job. I have the engine on a profile Sback now breaking it in. Will order the plans for the DAG next month, and build it this fall. I think you are correct, it is the perfect engine for that model.

Is anyone laser cutting these? Or is that a no no? I can do it by hand, just would be nice to have the laser cut parts.

Jimmy
Old Jul 04, 2016, 10:07 AM
Joined Nov 2013
47 Posts
Jimmy,

The DAG 60 is an easy plan from which to build. Most of the construction is from sticks anyway, so the only parts you have to cut are 10 or 12 half-formers. Those and the tail surfaces, which are plain sheet balsa.

Bryan
Old Jul 04, 2016, 08:44 PM
USA, IN, Commiskey
Joined Oct 2007
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoxey View Post
Jimmy,

The DAG 60 is an easy plan from which to build. Most of the construction is from sticks anyway, so the only parts you have to cut are 10 or 12 half-formers. Those and the tail surfaces, which are plain sheet balsa.

Bryan
Thank you,
Good good flyer, good looker, perfect fit for my DLE, and easy to build. What more could anyone ask for? I have the wood, engine, covering, glue, wheels, everything to build it. Except the plans. Going to order them soon.

Jimmy
Old Jul 23, 2016, 09:10 AM
Joined Oct 2009
1,545 Posts
Any chance of a couple of close up snaps of the motor and muffler please

Old Jul 23, 2016, 08:06 PM
Joined Nov 2013
47 Posts
Here you go.....

The engine fits nicely in the cowl. I am using the stock muffler. Xoar 17-6 laminated prop painted with Rustoleum.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 08:12 PM
Joined Nov 2013
47 Posts
The stock muffler fits in the cowl with minimal cutout. There is plenty of room between the ignition box and the cowl. The firewall is stock size per the plans. I may have beefed up the thickness a bit but I don't remember how much. It's minimal whatever it is.

_
Last edited by bdoxey; Jul 23, 2016 at 08:19 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 08:16 PM
Joined Nov 2013
47 Posts
With and without the cowl. I think it adds a lot. I mounted the cowl with hidden screws accessed through the front of the cowl. The cowl slides onto four 1/4" pegs on the firewall for location and the screws just keep it from coming off the pegs.

_
Old Yesterday, 02:48 AM
Joined Oct 2009
1,545 Posts
Finally!!

Thank you Bryan, that looks fantastic, your building and finishing looks real quality ! The modded undercart looks in keeping as well.