Old Feb 08, 2016, 02:50 PM
Find More Posts by Stash103
United States, IL, Vienna
Joined Jan 2016
27 Posts
Discussion
Typhoon vs. Tomcat vs. ??

I have moved to property in which I can fly out the front door. I have Vultures and Hawks in abundance which illustrate the almost daily thermals I have on the 32 acre property. Getting back into the sport after 30 years, a lot has changed. I am sure you have heard the story before. I picked up a Radian on sale just to get back into the game. I am flying well. I grabbed a black DX9 on sale (impulse buy) along with a Kunai which is waiting on to bench. The next purchase will be a great deal on money and I have been research reading, and reading. I have been looking at the Typhoon thread and some remarks were made about the Tomcat but not in depth. I here bigger is better stated a lot. I know product selection is based upon user preference.
1st Thermal Ability, 2nd Slope , 3rd Speed Is where I am at today.
I was wondering if the Tomcat would Thermal better than the Typhoon in dead air yet handle a stiff breeze as well. I would like to have the plane handle some wind. I would not mind the extra cash for the Tomcat but funding is not unlimited. Carbon is expensive and perhaps I should be looking at an alternative source than RCrcm. There is always a product newer and maybe better.

Any advice for this returning newbie is welcome. Thx
Stash103 is offline Find More Posts by Stash103
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2016, 03:22 PM
Find More Posts by peterlngh
Joined Apr 2012
3,757 Posts
Hi, Stash.

I started flying again after a 7 year lay off 4 years ago. Even in that space of time the technology sure has changed!

I don't think one can go wrong with a Typhoon but there are some other options to consider. Some of the best reviews I see are for various types of Pulsar. Depending on size and flying style they sound every bit as good, for most people, as a carbon/kevlar composite. They are available from a few different vendors but Esprit Models also has several others that might strike your fancy so I'll provide a link to them.

http://www.espritmodel.com/f5j-alesl...ailplanes.aspx

Esprit carries quite a few of the Topmodel cz. line but by no means all of them. The part I like about their offerings is that they are available as ready to cover models. I like the idea of my own color scheme but I'm a bit nervous (AKA terrified) that my precious model will be shipped on the bottom of a crate full of bowling balls! Still. They are well worth a look and have something for every task one can imagine.

http://www.topmodelcz.cz/index.php?&...nu_eshop_id=12

ArtHobby also has a very loyal fan base. They are a bit more work, mostly finishing the sheeted wings, but they also offer a whole lot of sailplane for the money. I got to see an Orion 2.5meter in person and it looks and flies as beautiful as any sailplane i have seen.

http://www.arthobby.com/#

There is absolutely no substitute for a fully molded contest design if you are going to be flying in contests against similar competition but for sport flying they seem like overkill to me. My old eyes also see transparent wings much better than solid ones. Plus? I'm notoriously cheap. Cheap, cheap, cheap!! For around the price of a Typhoon one might be able to find something closer to 3 meters that will be a better sport flier.

Cheers!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Feb 09, 2016, 02:09 PM
Joined Jan 2016
27 Posts
Thank you for your insight Peter.
I have watched vids of the Pulsar and it has been in my thoughts as it appears to be a sweet rig. The other links you provided have given me much more to consider. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Best Regards
Old Feb 11, 2016, 09:51 AM
Find More Posts by Tharr62
Joined Oct 2005
1,121 Posts
Hi Stash..

I Just received my Pulsar 3.2 REF from Esprit.. and it just needs a few more things before I fly it. I have high exceptions for it as well.

However, a plane like this, and a warmliner like your Typhoon / Tomcat will be Apples vs Oranges in the air, based on how they fly and what they were designed to do.

Personally, I think having both makes the most sense. The Pulsar is a floater. Period. Thermal, and for what I would call long duration flying.

The Typhoon / Tomcat are all about performance! Which.. is exactly why I am also looking at them both, and hoping to hear from others that own, and have flown both :-)

I just flew my Kunai today.. I bought it as a "test" plane to see if I would like this style of flying. (I did!). So, now I know the warm liner would be for me! You can see my thoughts on the Kunai over on that thread.

The issue I have with the Tomcat.. is the color's. I really like the Orange of the Typhoon.. and I think a plane with this thin of a profile will disappear very easy (Kunai did today), so that is something to think about as well.
Tharr62 is offline Find More Posts by Tharr62
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:43 PM
Find More Posts by peterlngh
Joined Apr 2012
3,757 Posts
You are right, Tharr. I should have mentioned that the Pulsar is a very different kind of glider than the Typhoon. I merely offered it as an example of a highly regarded built up glider that can compete with the "mouldies" within its niche.

Cheers!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Feb 11, 2016, 02:26 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,121 Posts
Quote:
You are right, Tharr. I should have mentioned that the Pulsar is a very different kind of glider than the Typhoon. I merely offered it as an example of a highly regarded built up glider that can compete with the "mouldies" within its niche.

Cheers!
I am so excited to fly mine!! I am just waiting on a motor, and then will take to the sky! I think having a plane like this (Pulsar) AND a warm liner like the Carbon Typhoon / Tom cat will be an incredible combo for a full day of flying! The best of both worlds!
Old Feb 11, 2016, 02:57 PM
Find More Posts by thumbhead
altitude adjustment
USA, CA, Irvine
Joined Mar 2005
654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stash103 View Post
I have moved to property in which I can fly out the front door.
I have a feeling you will end up with more than a few planes. .

Mark
thumbhead is offline Find More Posts by thumbhead
Old Feb 11, 2016, 04:10 PM
Joined Jan 2016
27 Posts
Hey Tharr, Peter
After hours of video I like the Pulsar but not at this time.
I had a nice conversation with ZK at Esprit in Florida. He seemed very knowledgeable with the RcRCM products. Keep in mind he tailored his recommendations for me based on our discussion. After a talk of money ,size 2m, 3m+ we got into the Typhoon. Though a nice aircraft, the fuselage has very tight clearances which may or may not be challenging to some people. He went on to offer me the alternative of the Hornet or Tomcat. Both have enough room get the gear in better than the Typhoon and also are great preforming planes.. I was already leaning toward the Tomcat cause of the little extra wing span. If I/you wanna be lazy, it looks like you can buy a Tomcat complete ready to plug in a receiver and battery. Fuel for Thought.

Best Regards.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 04:27 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,121 Posts
Quote:
Hey Tharr, Peter
After hours of video I like the Pulsar but not at this time.
I had a nice conversation with ZK at Esprit in Florida. He seemed very knowledgeable with the RcRCM products. Keep in mind he tailored his recommendations for me based on our discussion. After a talk of money ,size 2m, 3m+ we got into the Typhoon. Though a nice aircraft, the fuselage has very tight clearances which may or may not be challenging to some people. He went on to offer me the alternative of the Hornet or Tomcat. Both have enough room get the gear in better than the Typhoon and also are great preforming planes.. I was already leaning toward the Tomcat cause of the little extra wing span. If I/you wanna be lazy, it looks like you can buy a Tomcat complete ready to plug in a receiver and battery. Fuel for Thought.

Best Regards.
Yeah, I was actually in their shop last week to pickup my Pulsar 3.2 (I live in Miami). I saw the TomCat on the bench.. really nice plane :-) I was not able to see the Typhoon.. so I can't compare the two :-(
Old Feb 12, 2016, 04:13 PM
Find More Posts by arcticflyer
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Jan 2006
2,155 Posts
Here's the link for the thread on my Tomcat set up specifically for hotlining.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2484716

Here's a vid for you...

Experimental Hotliner Ride Along (10 min 7 sec)
arcticflyer is offline Find More Posts by arcticflyer