Old Mar 10, 2015, 09:51 PM
Find More Posts by seldredge
United States, CA, La Honda
Joined May 2014
605 Posts
Question
No DX9 throttle tension

I have a new DX9, arrive, today. It had next to know throttle tension. The adjustment stated in the manual gave me the ability to adjust from next to none to none at all. By tweaking a few nearby screws, based on what I read in anther thread, I was able to achieve throttle tension--the throttle became spring loaded to center.

So, might there be something I missed? I'm not going to take it apart and go inside for this issue. Will just return it.
seldredge is offline Find More Posts by seldredge
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:29 PM
Find More Posts by Pygmaeus
Joined Aug 2014
10 Posts
My dx9 came the same way. The adjustment screw is inside of the radio. The dx9 is easily opened, compared to previous spectrum models. There are two adjustments. One is for the ratchet mechanism and the second is for tension on the stick. I would guess that the next dx9 you get will have the same issue.
Pygmaeus is offline Find More Posts by Pygmaeus
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:44 PM
Joined May 2014
605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pygmaeus View Post
My dx9 came the same way. The adjustment screw is inside of the radio. The dx9 is easily opened, compared to previous spectrum models. There are two adjustments. One is for the ratchet mechanism and the second is for tension on the stick. I would guess that the next dx9 you get will have the same issue.
I've adjusted both of those. I don't want ratcheting, but I tried it. Adjusting the throttle tension had no effect, other than I could make it looser so the stick just flopped back and forth. I loosed the #3 mode screw a little because someone else had tried it. Then I could tighten the throttle screw and get some tension, but the throttle became spring-loaded to center then. This unit shouldn't have passed QC.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 11:57 PM
Joined May 2014
605 Posts
I removed the back and looked at the mechanism. I can turn the adjusting screw and watch what happens. The tension on a spring is relaxed or increased. Has no effect on throttle tension. I can tell for sure, but I think a plastic arm is broken off and missing.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 12:04 AM
Find More Posts by ivanc
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
11,496 Posts
Does it have a little metal plate over a grooved surface? If it does, remove it, bend it so it pushes harder on the grooved surface and reinstall it.
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
Old Mar 11, 2015, 12:37 AM
Joined May 2014
605 Posts
The ratcheting adjustment is a metal plate over a toothed wheel on the other side of the of the gimbal from the tension adjustment. and I can tighten that side fine, but I don't want a ratcheting throttle stick. I want the throttle action to be smooth but with some resistance, like on my DX8.

... oh, I see. The plate next to the ratcheting plate just pushes on a curved surface. I'll try adjusting that. Thanks.
Last edited by seldredge; Mar 11, 2015 at 01:36 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 02:02 AM
Joined May 2014
605 Posts
That was it! I removed the two joined metal plates enough that I could bend the outside one in until when reinstalled it applied pressure to the curved plastic plate. With a little grease and tweaking, I got a stick movement that is good. Thanks Ivanc. Saved me the cost of returning the TX . This could be the first DX I don't have to return immediately for warranty work.

Really helped that taking off the back is so easy now compared to the DX8.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 08:16 AM
Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
35,511 Posts
It's the same gimbal as is in your DX8, too, so the adjustments are exactly the same.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:41 AM
Joined May 2014
605 Posts
They are the same, but you don't adjust throttle tension with it. I assumed I needed to follow the section "Adjust Stick Tension," which was incorrect. On the throttle side, you cannot adjust the tension by adjusting the gimbal spring. That only adjusts tension if you are reversing the sticks and want that side to be spring loaded.

The Throttle Friction Strap on my transmitter was already screwed down all the way and couldn't be adjusted. I assumed that the strap had something to do with the ratcheting action. With help I figured out that was the adjustment I needed to make, but to make it I had to remove the back of the DX9, remove the strap and bend it, and then reinstall.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 01:16 AM
Find More Posts by ferradas
San Jose, CA.
Joined Jan 2002
912 Posts
Hey guys, I just got the DX9 today and I'm also trying to increase the tension on the throttle stick. I open the back of the case and I noticed that the screw that the manual says to adjust for this does absolutely NOTHING. The screw expands a spring but the spring does not connect to the gimbal in any way, it just connects to the plastic case and does nothing. Weird design. I included a picture of the spring, it's hard to tell but does not affect gimbal at all.
ferradas is offline Find More Posts by ferradas
Old Oct 31, 2015, 10:35 AM
Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
4,059 Posts
For the throttle tension there are 2 metal strips with screws. One for the ratchet, one for the brake. These screws are for centering force of the spring-loaded axes.
Mukenukem is offline Find More Posts by Mukenukem