Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Jun 13, 2013, 08:17 AM
Find More Posts by FlyBoy20
United Kingdom, Lincs
Joined Aug 2012
820 Posts
Question
Ideal hinge material..from yesteryear

Search as I might, I cannot find anyone selling the best thing ever made for making hinges. Years ago I bought a 1m roll of plastic material (nylon?) especially for making hinges. It was 25mm wide with a crease running down the middle, so that it was both strong and easily flexed. You could cut it to any length you liked, cut a slot and glue it in - perfect..

Nowadays all I can find is little oblong things made of a stiff fibrous plastic - too stiff really for hinges, as they stress the servos. Has anyone any idea where I can get some, as I'm down to my last few inches?
FlyBoy20 is offline Find More Posts by FlyBoy20
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2013, 08:43 AM
Find More Posts by dedStik
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,516 Posts
I have seen someone use 5 minute epoxy for hinges. They dropped a dab ontop of glass then covered with another piece of glass then applied a weight to flatten a bit (not enough weight to break the glass) once dry they cut off a piece of hinge it was surprisingly pliant.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
Old Jun 13, 2013, 09:52 AM
Find More Posts by gonzalito
Argentina, Cordoba, Villa Marķa
Joined Feb 2012
61 Posts
I do them like this.. Never had to change one. Extremely durable and flexible.

Hot glue hinges RC (4 min 20 sec)
gonzalito is offline Find More Posts by gonzalito
Old Jun 13, 2013, 09:59 AM
Find More Posts by eflightray
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
16,664 Posts
FlyBoy, the material you mention, unless it was specifically for model aircraft, sounds like the window/door draft excluder I came across some time ago. It was a thin plastic strip with a 'crease' down the middle and self adhesive down one side..

I found a similar stuff on the web called, Stormguard V Seal.

I still have an old roll of the stuff, but the manufacturers name is missing, never tried it on a model, but it looks like it would work Ok. (Picture below).

For home made hinges I used to use strips cut from mylar drawing sheets, (ex-draughtsman). For bought hinges I like the flat plastic hinge with the metal pin.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:46 AM
Find More Posts by Bare
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
8,591 Posts
Monofliament fishing line :-)
Punch a hole with a pin, insert half of a 1" piece of line, CA it, do same for the other side.
Slide an exacto blade along it to remove the hinge (when/if necessary) then reinsert one beside it. for replacement.
Cheap and too easy .
Although even Easier is a piece of tape
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jun 13, 2013, 01:24 PM
Find More Posts by FlyBoy20
United Kingdom, Lincs
Joined Aug 2012
820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
FlyBoy, the material you mention, unless it was specifically for model aircraft, sounds like the window/door draft excluder I came across some time ago. It was a thin plastic strip with a 'crease' down the middle and self adhesive down one side..
It does for all the world sound like your draught excluder, but with no sticky side. One side is shiny, the other fine textured. I'm pretty sure I did buy it from a site for model plane builders along with other types hinge - about15 years ago(?)

Quote:
I found a similar stuff on the web called, Stormguard V Seal.
I bet that would work too..
Quote:
..For bought hinges I like the flat plastic hinge with the metal pin.
I find those a bit too sideways-floppy.

P.S. I haven't 'maidened' the Spit yet, although it's ready to go. I've fitted a tail-wheel, but first I've been meaning to ask you about CofG. I've been a too bit busy flying bipes, and getting one down from a tree!
FlyBoy20 is offline Find More Posts by FlyBoy20
Old Jun 13, 2013, 02:14 PM
Find More Posts by doublebuck
United States, CT, East Hartford
Joined Aug 2010
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy20 View Post
It does for all the world sound like your draught excluder, but with no sticky side. One side is shiny, the other fine textured. I'm pretty sure I did buy it from a site for model plane builders along with other types hinge - about15 years ago(?)

I bet that would work too..

I find those a bit too sideways-floppy.

P.S. I haven't 'maidened' the Spit yet, although it's ready to go. I've fitted a tail-wheel, but first I've been meaning to ask you about CofG. I've been a too bit busy flying bipes, and getting one down from a tree!
Hi Flyboy,

My wife has used a heat n bond fusible interfacing which is used for dressmaking. This material has an adhesive on one side of a cloth strip. To make the hinges she sews the interfacing tape strips with the non adhesive side together. We then iron on the adhesive side to the wing and to the moveable surface to make a non leaking hinge. Maybe the web has such material for sale. The company making the material is called Therm O Web. I hope this helps.

Ron
doublebuck is offline Find More Posts by doublebuck
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:17 PM
Find More Posts by Depronicus
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
3,001 Posts
Blenderm, Blenderm, Blenderm...

There is nothing better for hinging control surfaces on foamies.
Depronicus is offline Find More Posts by Depronicus
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:22 PM
Find More Posts by foamdave
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
2,381 Posts
Old floppy disks, the inside magnetic media, cut up into great hinges...

Dave-
foamdave is offline Find More Posts by foamdave
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:26 PM
Find More Posts by solentlife
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
14,402 Posts
A good source of thin plastic that will hinge very nicely .... old floppy disc ... break open and use the mylar based disc inside.

You can buy Mylar online / shops that you can cut strips from as hinges. I like this as the two pieces close right up with no gap ... slot with knife ... slide in with smear of epoxy ... bingo.

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Jun 14, 2013, 01:01 AM
Find More Posts by djacob7
Zen in the art of foam
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jan 2009
2,379 Posts
Gonzalito, what do you use to glue those hinges into the control surface?
djacob7 is offline Find More Posts by djacob7
Old Jun 14, 2013, 01:34 PM
Find More Posts by dedStik
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamdave View Post
Old floppy disks, the inside magnetic media, cut up into great hinges...

Dave-
I tried the same with harddrives sadly the disks weren't as pliant.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
Old Jun 14, 2013, 01:45 PM
Find More Posts by eflightray
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
16,664 Posts
Just out of interest I had a quick try of the nylon fishing line method mentioned in post #5 by Bare. (Great idea, thanks).

I used two scrap pieces of 3/32" balsa sheet, placed then so the edges were side by side to make matching the pinholes easier (should have marked it really). Pushed a pin into the edge of the balsa about 1/2" deep on each edge.
Then poked a piece of fishing line into the holes of one piece, trimmed them to about 3/8" sticking out, and cynoed them in.
It was a little tricky lining up the other piece of balsa, but the flexibility of the nylon helps a bit. But they eventually slid together forming a hinge at the join.
Care needs to be taken using cyno on the other half otherwise you glue both pieces of balsa together.
Actually just thought, ...you could actually poke a pin in the balsa at 90deg to let cyno penetrate the balsa. One side does require bevels.

It worked surprisingly well, and is near to invisible. Might be worth a try on smaller models.

Hopefully the picture might explain it if the words don't.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jun 14, 2013, 03:51 PM
Find More Posts by 30v2
my nCPX is my sim!
United States, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Jun 2007
201 Posts
I use clear packing tape. It's super cheap and easy. I have a foamie that's 8yrs old without a problem using this method!
30v2 is offline Find More Posts by 30v2
Old Jun 14, 2013, 05:15 PM
Find More Posts by solentlife
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
14,402 Posts
Tape methods include others such as using the covering film itself ... some carry the whole film through to do it - but I used to hinge with film first with a good strip width back to surfaces ... then cover with main film to hinge line.

Tape can produce a variation of an old nylon and dope system .... Two short strips of tape, sticky sides together for a mm or so ... then you Z the tape to surface and control ... making a tape that passes through the hinge line to OTHER side ... You make two for each hinge location so the second is opposite sides, next to first ... creating an X ...

One item that seems to have been left with us old boys .... when we used to hinge - we not only glued the hinge - but pinned it as well. Now, most hinges I see are only glued.

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife