Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Jul 13, 2012, 05:35 PM
Find More Posts by mack5
Joined Jun 2004
246 Posts
Discussion
2 wheel nose gear Question

Hi

How can I make a 2 wheel nose gear like the one used on the f14 / fa 18 Does anyone sell one or can I make one?

Thanks
mack5 is offline Find More Posts by mack5
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2012, 06:40 PM
Find More Posts by Hover or die
it wasn't me flying that plane
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Mar 2011
811 Posts
Look at the top of the foamies section (jets)..there's a thread(sticky) showing links to retracts..many companies sell the dual nose wheel retract..
Good luck,you should find what you are looking for...check hobbyking as well..decent retracts at excellent prices..
Take care........chris
Hover or die is offline Find More Posts by Hover or die
Old Jul 13, 2012, 06:59 PM
Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
EDF Jet Jam 2016, June 16-19
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
7,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack5 View Post
Hi

How can I make a 2 wheel nose gear like the one used on the f14 / fa 18 Does anyone sell one or can I make one?

Thanks

Just run the axle all the way through and put a wheel on each side. Since I hate to see wheel collars I use nails. If you are interested I can post a drawing later.
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Jul 14, 2012, 06:51 AM
Find More Posts by Waltjg
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,682 Posts
+1 on what Kevin is showing, the item that he shows can be picked up at your local hobby shop, it is made by Du Bro. Mac, take a minute to complete your profile on here as a courtesy to others, it is always nice to see where folks are from when on RCG... W
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Jul 14, 2012, 04:25 PM
Find More Posts by Eddie P
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
8,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cox View Post

Since I hate to see wheel collars I use nails.
Like Kevin, I also have used nails for single wheel situations. Sometimes around the nail head/shaft transition you have to take down some metal webbing between the nail head and the shaft so you don't grind out part of the wheel hub but it's an inexpensive solution that looks more scale and is certainly easy and cheap to replace!

For a twin wheel setup you may have to choose a side you will use a wheel collar on since the nail head only takes up once side. Higher end solutions are slotted shafts using C clips instead of collars.

Another solution I've had success with is to take the center hub and thread it for a 3mm allen head screw. Then screw in the allen head screw over the wheel, acting as the axle, and you have a custom wheel unit on both sides without collars, just the head of the screw as the collar. Dremmel off excess axle length by cutting a bit of the screw to size and you have it.
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
Old Aug 06, 2012, 01:17 AM
Find More Posts by Lt599
United States, WA, Shelton
Joined Feb 2012
730 Posts
Not sure what size you need but Hobbypartz sells a nice set of twin wheel, shock absorbing alum. struts at a good price! I bought a set, havent used them yet. Lt.
Lt599 is offline Find More Posts by Lt599
Old Aug 07, 2012, 04:17 PM
Find More Posts by PANTHERFLYR
Retired C-5 Flight Engineer
United States, CA, Fairfield
Joined May 2005
486 Posts
Here is what i did on my C-5 project. I used a robart straight offset standard main gear strut. I made an axle long enough to accompany the 4 nose wheels. Each wheel is separated by wheel collets.
PANTHERFLYR is offline Find More Posts by PANTHERFLYR
Old Aug 07, 2012, 09:03 PM
Find More Posts by Eddie P
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
8,630 Posts
Awesome nose wheel bro! Hope Tehhhjjjas is doing great for you guys!!
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
Old Aug 08, 2012, 04:43 PM
Find More Posts by PANTHERFLYR
Retired C-5 Flight Engineer
United States, CA, Fairfield
Joined May 2005
486 Posts
Thanks Eddie, it isnt bad out here.....Lots of time home with the fam, and time to build/fly! Miss Cali and we plan on returning there end of 2014 to be flying FRED again. Hope you are well too man!
PANTHERFLYR is offline Find More Posts by PANTHERFLYR
Old Aug 09, 2012, 02:34 PM
Find More Posts by wilmracer
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined May 2007
1,342 Posts
Here is the nose gear for my big F14 project that is waiting for me to get back to work... It is a robart main. The axle was custom made from a section of steel rod... I couldn't find any official axles that were wide enough to allow two wheels. Just used standard wheel collars to secure the wheels and the alen-key screw in the strut to lock in the axle.

Works great... a bit heavy, but not too bad now that I have cut it down and shortened the spring up a lot.
wilmracer is offline Find More Posts by wilmracer