Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Jul 31, 2011, 09:36 AM
Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
Fly safe, fly often!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,571 Posts
Discussion
How "Safe" Is The Spektrum AR6115e 6-Channel DSMX?

I just obtained three of these from HH - I hardly ever fly farther than 500 feet away, so would it be accurate to say this receiver is "safe" and "reliable" for that range?

In case it's relevant, I'm using a DX7 with these receivers.

I plan on using the AR6115e's with heli's and airplanes, if they provide "reasonably safe" performance. Apparently, I cannot use satellites with these and that makes me wonder about their range and reliability performance.

Thanks & happy flyin'
Buzz_Man is offline Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2011, 10:48 AM
Find More Posts by village_idiot
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,688 Posts
You are probably going to get a bunch of people coming in and telling you that no Spektrum receiver is safe so be prepared for the haters to arrive.

That said, if it is as good as the older ar6100 then it should be good for 500 feet depending on the construction of the aircraft. It is specifically listed as a "Parkflyer" range of receiver which of course brings up the question of how big is a park? If the helis are bigger than 450 size, you should choose a full range receiver, I would also probably keep all the models a little closer in than 500 and slowly work my way out to hopefully find limits without crashes. Make certain to set throttle failsafe to idle or off just to make sure you don't have a runaway.

The biggest issue with this style of receiver is the possibility of having the signal blocked by a motor or battery, also carbon fiber construction would really be bad with this receiver so carbon fuse is not recommended.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Jul 31, 2011, 11:57 AM
Find More Posts by richard hanson
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
9,760 Posts
Range was never the issue with the 6100 series stuff - - On my flat foam flyers -you can fly em till they are a speck in the sky- dun it meeeeeny times
having signal compromised at the model - is the real issue.
I am still of the opinionthat 99% of 2.4 problems are a result of application(misapplication of RX/ESC/BATT/ WIRING/ETC.- in otherwords, the nut holding the tx is the real issue.
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Jul 31, 2011, 12:42 PM
Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
35,511 Posts
They are a fantastic receiver. I have one in my old Slow Stick and I can take it up to the limits of vision safely. You do need to position it so the antennas will always have view of your transmitter. If you are using it in a large model, you may have issues with the battery and/or motor shadowing it. This is the case with all brands of 2.4g equipment. If you are flying a larger model, you would do well to use a receiver with antennas that you can position farther from one another, or one with multiple remotes.

For small 3D type flying (close in, constantly changing orientation) they are fine as well.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 31, 2011, 01:08 PM
Find More Posts by village_idiot
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,688 Posts
Even the little ar6300 with a full power transmitter should be better than 500 feet depending on the construction of the model.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Jul 31, 2011, 02:11 PM
Find More Posts by pach
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
972 Posts
I do 500ft range tests with my transmitter antenna all the way down with 72mhz.

On the subject of Spektrum, I've never had range problems with 6110 on a 450 helicopter, you would be pretty hard pressed even with carbon fiber chassis to get a signal lockout before you visually lose sight of the helicopter.
pach is offline Find More Posts by pach
Last edited by pach; Jul 31, 2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 02:20 PM
Fly safe, fly often!
Joined Dec 1999
4,571 Posts
Wow, mega-thanks everyone!

I think I will be using the AR6210 6-Channel DSMX w/satellites in any heli that's c/f &/or larger than 450 size. For all the others, I will use the AR6115e's.

This gives me great confidence that I made a good choice, that 3 more receivers will come in handy and these will be reliable.

I realize there are "Spektrum haters" out there - probably the same could be true for any brand and thanks for pointing that out.

I have usually always been loyal to either Hitec or Futaba but when Horizon Hobby began selling the PNP airplanes and helis, I switched over and "tested" a DX7. So far, I have no regrets, especially when it's time to buy --real-- receivers.

I know some folks love them but unless I was flying an 8 ounce or lighter airplane in a very small area, nowhere near other humans or potential property damage, I would never use a $10 "clone" receiver from China. But, that's just me.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 06:20 PM
Joined Oct 2007
9,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach View Post
I do 500ft range tests with my transmitter antenna all the way down with 72mhz.

On the subject of Spektrum, I've never had range problems with 6110 on a 450 helicopter, you would be pretty hard pressed even with carbon fiber chassis to get a signal lockout before you visually lose sight of the helicopter.
whuts a range check?
Old Jul 31, 2011, 06:23 PM
Fly safe, fly often!
Joined Dec 1999
4,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
whuts a range check?
It's making sure there are no cartridges in the chamber and all magazines on the bench before putting up the targets . . . then looking around to make sure nobody's around . . . but I still don't see how this has any relevance to flying r/c aircraft.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 07:42 PM
Find More Posts by Daedalus66
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
19,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
They are a fantastic receiver. I have one in my old Slow Stick and I can take it up to the limits of vision safely. You do need to position it so the antennas will always have view of your transmitter.

Andy
+1.
I've had 100% results with the AR6100 and AR6110 over several years and I presume the AR6115 will be at least as good. Expected range would be at least 500m (not feet) but it's probably good for 1km.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jul 31, 2011, 08:42 PM
Fly safe, fly often!
Joined Dec 1999
4,571 Posts
Great - thanks Daedalus66!
Old Aug 01, 2011, 05:38 AM
Joined Oct 2007
9,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz_Man View Post
It's making sure there are no cartridges in the chamber and all magazines on the bench before putting up the targets . . . then looking around to make sure nobody's around . . . but I still don't see how this has any relevance to flying r/c aircraft.
I guess that's why I get strange looks when I yell "ready on the left ? ready on the right?" before I lunch my model.
Old May 07, 2013, 10:57 AM
Find More Posts by davidio1000
they aren't that close.. oh
Joined Feb 2013
71 Posts
a range check is when you walk away from your model with your transmitter until you loose radio contact. the distance can tell you if it is safe to fly
davidio1000 is offline Find More Posts by davidio1000
Old May 07, 2013, 12:45 PM
Find More Posts by Daedalus66
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
19,806 Posts
It was a joke. Two years ago.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jun 16, 2013, 05:49 PM
Find More Posts by RyanGSP
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined May 2013
11 Posts
How do you guys think this receiver would work in in a 55" EPO plane?
RyanGSP is offline Find More Posts by RyanGSP