Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:35 AM
Rolling Takeoff
Japan
Joined Jun 2005
66 Posts
Help!
Top Model Fantasy Motor Mount

Been working on my Fantasy glider and I am at the point of mounting the motor. I have about a 3/8" gap between the spinner and fuselage if I put the supplied mount in the fuselage all the way forward where it stops. If I put the spiiner on and hang the glider from the spinner and look inside the fuse, there is a 1/8" gap all around rhe mount. Do I cut the shaft on the motor, make (buy) a new mount, or use a epoxy like Hysol that is thick?

If I use the supplied mount, only 2 screws line up to mount the motor to the mount, is 2 screws enough?

These gliders are harder to assemble then 40% planes.
japan3d is offline Find More Posts by japan3d
Last edited by japan3d; Feb 17, 2013 at 05:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:52 PM
Joined Jan 2009
5 Posts
I to am working on the fantasy but have not gotten that far yet I have just run the servo wires in the wing and taped up the control surfaces so far. I forget where I saw it but I did see a picture somewhere of the motor mount, and they used a small peace of cardboard to act as a spacer between the nose cone and the front of the fuselage to set the motor mount in place,at this point they only used a small amount of glue to set the motor mount in place and glued it up solid after with the motor out of the plane. they also had to modify two of the holes in the fiberglass motor mount to line up with the motor. The cardboard when removed leaves a gap between the nose cone and the fuselage.
Steve.
tullochgorum is offline Find More Posts by tullochgorum
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:00 AM
United States, MA, Grafton
Joined May 2006
330 Posts
Normally you'd expect the firewall to wedge into the front of the fuselage, about 1-2 mm from the front edge. Is that where yours fits? If so, that should be right, & don't mess with it.

What motor are you using, and how much of the shaft length protrudes forward through the firewall?

Are you sure the spinner collet is going onto the shaft all the way? Sometimes they are a tight fit - and take the prop nut off to check. If the nut's even finger tight, the collet may not go on the shaft. Or you might just have a spinner that's a poor match for that motor, or a spinner with a mismachined collet. It happens.

Check the easy stuff before dong anything drastic.
tom1968 is online now Find More Posts by tom1968
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:57 AM
Rolling Takeoff
Japan
Joined Jun 2005
66 Posts
Yes it sets about 2mm from the front edge. And the spinner collet is all the down on the motor shaft. The motor and spinner are what ICare suggests for this glider. I would hope that I wouldn't have to modify the shaft. This is the motor and spinner package I have: ACn 22/25/3E, 1HET 75, 75 A esc, 40mm, pitch 45, width 8mm, pin 3mm, 5mm, MP Jet Folding Prop
Last edited by japan3d; Feb 18, 2013 at 07:50 AM. Reason: .
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:59 PM
United States, MA, Grafton
Joined May 2006
330 Posts
Hmm - checking Mega's web site, the shaft protrudes 20mm from the front of the motor. Assuming the firewall is 2mm thick and it's 2mm behind the front edge of the fuselage, there would be 20-2-2 = 16mm of shaft sticking out the front of the fuse. Your 3/8" gap is another 9 or 10mm. That leaves about 6-7 mm of shaft in the prop collet. That seems a bit low.

I'd probably get a different spinner. The BB or Aeronaut spinners from Esprit Model give at least 11mm of shaft engagement. If the gap is still too big, back the firewall up with some 1/16 or 1/8 plywood cut to match. That moves the motor back slightly and you should be all set.
tom1968 is online now Find More Posts by tom1968
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:10 AM
Rolling Takeoff
Japan
Joined Jun 2005
66 Posts
Moving on with the build. In the attached picture is the elevator servo. Is this a good place/orientation to install the servo? Or should I make the pushrod shorter? It is already shorter then the parts that came with the kit.

On to the spinner installation. I checked just a few moments ago, the collet is going on the shaft about 3/8" of an inch, and the collet depth is almost 1/2". Any tips on getting it the extra little bit?
Last edited by japan3d; Feb 23, 2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 03:25 AM
Rolling Takeoff
Japan
Joined Jun 2005
66 Posts
Ok, got the elevator servo install, the wing servos done, wires routed, still haven't mounted the motor, got the rudder servo mount installed, now I have a piece of word that is shaped like a long triangle. I assume this is the battery mount, what is the best way to mount it? Wide end to the aft of the plane, epoxied to the servo mount, or the other way around?
Old Mar 23, 2013, 01:48 AM
Rolling Takeoff
Japan
Joined Jun 2005
66 Posts
Batter Mount/Ball Links

Ok, finally seen how this mount gets installed, there's a half round former that gets glued in first, then this plate is glued to it and the floor of the fuselage.

Anybody use the ball links in the picture to attach the servos to the control surfaces?