HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2014, 04:50 AM
f5b-uk
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined May 2002
3,061 Posts
Thanks for the replies, guys. I feel lucky that the servos failed between flights instead of mid-air. As for spending time repairing the waving servo and then putting it in a foamy...I think use a 2 HXT servo instead!

Mike
Mike Seale is online now Find More Posts by Mike Seale
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2014, 04:19 PM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Jan 2006
1,360 Posts
No fear

Put 09AMD's in the Funjet today...this is one of my go to planes and I fly the tar out of it.....IF....these servos are NOW as bad as some say...it will meet a glorious demise
arcticflyer is offline Find More Posts by arcticflyer
Old Feb 21, 2014, 02:59 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,746 Posts
Dont fear, I dont Think the 09 servos nowadays are much worse then orther brands in general, I would fear CC esc:s much more
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Feb 21, 2014, 03:13 PM
f5b-uk
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined May 2002
3,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe View Post
Dont fear, I dont Think the 09 servos nowadays are much worse then orther brands in general:
Unfortunately, that does make me a little worried. In the past, you worried about being shot down on 35MHz, or interference between the motor/controller/receiver. I never once worried that a servo would cause my model to crash unless I'd stripped a gear which would be my fault anyway.

I still have a Ripmax Evolution from 2001 with Volz Wingmaxx servos and an Avionic from 2003 with HS125's and a Raketenwurm from 2005 with HS125's and D60's. All of these I can fly without worrying.

Mike
Mike Seale is online now Find More Posts by Mike Seale
Old Feb 21, 2014, 03:25 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,491 Posts
I agree Mike, a servo that goes bad in the air is definitely something to be concerned about. A servo which fails because of a heavy 'landing' is something completely different. I don't think it's acceptable that what is considered to be a good servo even needs to be tested before you install it, you should just fit it and fly. If it just 'failed' and remained in a certain position then you might get to land the model, but one that shows erratic behaviour when it fails is definitely flawed. I was put off years ago by reports on the RCMF glider section, I'm still not convinced and would prefer to use something else.
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
Old Feb 21, 2014, 05:16 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,360 Posts
Three flights today with the 09AMD's in a Funjet...temp was 5F and it was outside for quite some time so the servos had a good chance to really get tight due to the cold. No problems so far

Good Grief...sebbe...I just got a CC Edge Lite 100 If it burns you'll be the first to know
Last edited by arcticflyer; Feb 21, 2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 09:49 PM
the seventh planet
Joined Dec 2010
460 Posts
I purchased 5 of the 09's from the deal recently. I figure I wiggled and shook and adjusted them enough that they are ok. 3carbon 2metal gear. No buzzes, strange movements or smoke. One thing I did think of was something I discovered long ago with HS55's is that if you push down too hard on the screwdriver when your installing the servo horn screw it messed them up. I always install the horn holding IT with pliers and pulling the servo to it. I found that I was pushing directly on the pot previously. Just a thought.
Edhs is offline Find More Posts by Edhs
Old Feb 22, 2014, 04:30 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,746 Posts
I just did a comparison, if you have a plane with 09 servos and CC ice, I would be worried about fire in esc first... ,, arcticflyer Yes, tell me when it will catch fire

Im not saying for example Hitec old models are bad, also JR and graupner seems to be good servos in general.... Just saying new servos like the thin expensive Hitec titanium gears, we dont know how well those will hold up, not tested yet. Also Ive read and experianced threw friend that the dymond d60 also have problems,(my dymond d150 was a piecs of junk, sorry, but the gears did manage a big play in 1 minute of testing, even if I exchanged gears, dont think Dymond is so good either), MKS does not have the best ratings...so whats left???

There aint many 8-9mm servos out there.... you have to choose something.

test them, bench them for 1 hour (in total over few times), glue in, and fly
Last edited by sebbe; Feb 22, 2014 at 04:36 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 07:17 AM
London
Joined Jul 2003
887 Posts
Been using 2 HS7115TH for a year now.
They are rock solid.
I have no problems in recommending them.
You just have to handle them to recognise they are in a totally different class to the DS09s etc.
I appreciate this is just a sample of 2 though, but I don't expect to have random servo failures such as the ones I and many others have experienced. In particular with a 25 servo.
Darron is offline Find More Posts by Darron
Old Feb 22, 2014, 08:19 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,746 Posts
darron, how is the sloop/play after 1 year, anything noticable?
Old Feb 22, 2014, 08:42 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darron View Post
Been using 2 HS7115TH for a year now.
They are rock solid.
I have no problems in recommending them.
Funny you should mention the HS7115TH as I run them in both of my Supra wings on the flaps.
I had one fail after about 6 months where it had less holding strength around center.
I like the servo, but much more expensive than the 095 which I would compare it to and in my one case the 7115 failed.
I've never had an 09 or 095 fail. On the early ones from a few years ago I did take the precautions that Seebe talks about here. On the later ones I have had no problems on the bench or in planes.

Terry
Chuchuf is offline Find More Posts by Chuchuf
Old Feb 22, 2014, 10:05 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,746 Posts
Terry , thanks for input...

lets hope the newer 09 are better.... time will tell...
Old Mar 15, 2014, 07:20 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,746 Posts
http://www.giantshark.co.uk/product/...ky-d25ma-servo
Old Mar 15, 2014, 08:40 AM
Joined Jan 2006
1,360 Posts
KMT clones? Re-branded?

Been flying my 09AMD's for quite a few flights now in very cold weather and happy to report that they are performing great....the sky is no longer falling

Oh yeah the plane will soon have a CC Edge Lite 100, Spektrum receiver and 09's.....think I'm living dangerously?
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:22 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticflyer View Post
KMT clones? Re-branded?

Been flying my 09AMD's for quite a few flights now in very cold weather and happy to report that they are performing great....the sky is no longer falling

Oh yeah the plane will soon have a CC Edge Lite 100, Spektrum receiver and 09's.....think I'm living dangerously?
dont know, Im temted to buy them,,,, but they cost some so maybee not,,,

a*b*c= danger,, yeah, your in the danger zone