Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 26, 2003, 11:19 PM
Orlando
Joined Jun 2003
336 Posts
NEWBIE Question, NEED HELP. ME-109

Hey guys, just bought myself a ME-109 GWS plane,

I plan on using only elevator and ailerons by means of 2 Hitec HS-55's. I have AllERC's 8 cell 9.6V Ni-mh 800mah AAA's batteries. However i want to go Direct drive, Will the EDP-400 direct drive motor be a more powerful or would a Graupner 400 be more powerful. With my research soo far, all i have found is that at
9.6V EDP-400 with a EP6030 prop will produce 430g thrust, that seems pretty powerful.

What is the Benefit of a Geared system, I realize that it produces more thrust, but it also reduces RPM, I would assume with the drop in RPM, there is also a drop in Airplane speed. With a plane like a ME-109, wouldn't Airspeed be more beneficial for handling?

However I do respect the stock powerplant, I realize that an engineer spent many hours of crunching numbers to find a suitable powerplant for this plane that his team designed, But i want a little more power than that. I plan on upping the timing on whichever powerplant EZone helps me decide on, =).

And for you brushless guys, I'm a poor college student, and brushless is not in my budget, thanks hahaha

ANy help would be GREATTT
GWSLAWNDART is offline Find More Posts by GWSLAWNDART
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2003, 11:57 PM
San Jose,Ca
Joined Jul 2002
12 Posts
ME 109 new flyer

My flying buddy has 4 flights on his 109 and he has been flying a Crazy Max for over a year so he does have experience. The ME 109 in stock form is going to be a fast hand full for a newflyer. Like I said it is fast and he is flying it with the stock motor and prop using 8, 5/4 AAA nimh batteries.

Controls should be set on the minimum travel. Cart wheel landings will tear off the wing. He has added a wing hold down using rubber bands to provide some degree of give to the wing tie down.
He added some bambo skewers on the inside of the fuse over the wing for strength. Also he is flying with no landing gear as we do not have a smooth surface to fly off or land on.

But it looks awsome in the air... Good luck and good flying
miltmerc is offline Find More Posts by miltmerc
Old Jun 27, 2003, 12:07 AM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Go with the Stock motor and Gear Box! It is the best combo for that plane! If this is your first plane I don't mean to discourage you but you would save yourself a lot of flustration by just taking a hammer to it after you build it! There is no way a new pilot can learn to fly on a warbird like the 109! Build the 109 per the instructions.. hang it where you can see it for incentive and if you really ever want to learn to fly get you a plane like the Slow Stick to learn on! Then when you get so you can land the slow stick everytime without crashing... Get the 109 down as by now you will at least have a chance! If you choose to ignore my advice good luck as I am sure your first flight won't last over 1 second!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Jun 27, 2003, 12:07 AM
Orlando
Joined Jun 2003
336 Posts
thanks for the reply, still need more input

I am sorry if i gave off the wrong impression, the ME-109 isn't my first plane, i currently have a P-51, Beaver, E-starter, Slowstick, and have the BN-2 On order,

I would still aprreciate more input. Thanks
Old Jun 27, 2003, 12:20 AM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Re: thanks for the reply, still need more input

Quote:
Originally posted by GWSLAWNDART
I am sorry if i gave off the wrong impression, the ME-109 isn't my first plane, i currently have a P-51, Beaver, E-starter, Slowstick, and have the BN-2 On order,

The DD 400 is not going to give you anymore speed than the stock motor and will add weight. To get the most from the 400 you should use 10 cells... more weight! Take a look at the wing Xsection.. I would expect it is much like your p-51 which really doesn't need all that pitch speed as the airframe will be draggy enough to make the excess pitch speed useless and will never really unload the prop! The stock gearing and prop if you check it out in Motocalc I'm sure you will find the stock setup prop pitch speed is around 3 times the stall speed which is perfect for best performance!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Jun 27, 2003, 11:09 AM
Orlando
Joined Jun 2003
336 Posts
Thanks for the reply

Just curious, Why does GWS also have the EDP-400 Motor illustrated in the ME-109 Buildup?

Is EDP-400 ilustrated there a performance package??

What do you say Mr.Lin??
Old Jul 01, 2003, 02:38 PM
Callsign: CornDog
Milpitas, CA
Joined May 2003
5,364 Posts
Re: thanks for the reply, still need more input

Quote:
Originally posted by GWSLAWNDART

Here has been my experience:

I fly a stock P51 using a 7Cell, 8.4 volt battery. It is undepowered but still flys nice. I've flown my 109 with stock motor at 7.4(?) volts and it was a lot faster than the P51 ... a lot faster. I don't know that you would need to change the motor. You may want to consider using the stock motor first to see how it you like it. If you don't, upgrade!

There is a cheaper burshless solution out there that may fit into your budget. Check out www.e-flightline.com I've delt with them and find they have a wealth of knowledge and are very willing to help out. Check out their site and send them an email.
HawkLover is offline Find More Posts by HawkLover
Old Jul 01, 2003, 10:33 PM
but it's a nice obsession
Sandy, Utah
Joined Apr 2003
1,049 Posts
We are flying an Me109 with the same setup as you except we put in a 6V Speed 300 motor - fits right in the same gearbox. It gives us better performance and longer flight times.
Jon

P.S. One of the reasons for using gearboxes is that they are much more efficient than direct drive. Because you can swing a bigger prop you get much more thrust per amp. In your case, you would melt the batteries trying to get as much thrust by direct drive.
jgmtens is offline Find More Posts by jgmtens
Last edited by jgmtens; Jul 01, 2003 at 10:36 PM.
Old Jul 02, 2003, 12:30 AM
One
Seattle
Joined Feb 2003
1,630 Posts
Good Day "Dart" (I like that)

The stock 109 flys good, but with the Lipo and MPjet brushless its a hole new bird. I know money can be a factor. You many consider just going to Lipo's. They save weight and you get better run time.

Then when your ready its an easy conversion to switch over. I may have a deal for you. I have slightly used (demo) Mpjets that we may be able to swing a deal on. But at $49.99 for a brushless AND gearbox, the motor pays for it self in no time and delivers more power with better effieciency.

Shoot me an email and Ill be happy to help out anyway I can. We also have some videos on the website that show both stock and MPjet versions. www.e-flightline.com/movie.htm

Have a great one.
Splash
Splash is offline Find More Posts by Splash