HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:26 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2007
239 Posts
Jim,
So the talk in other threads about adding telemetry to the Nano is not going to happen? As the main guy at XPS. if you think it, and put it on the forum, I for on take that as something you are going to work on and deliver. Like the replacement receivers for bind and fly Micro airplanes. That was another item that was promised, but I have not yet been able to purchase.
You state that you didn't want to talk about products you are not ready to ship, but you do it over and over on this forum. Since May of 2010, you have been talking about 1 product. Then last year October 2011 you allowed us to start counting down to a release date of the product. Then in March you said you had not worked on it for a long time, but would start to work on it in April. Then last week you said you didn't work on it again. but all along you discuss and defend the specs in this forum like the product exists. I really like your products, but I do not care for the way you conduct your business. I really hope you have your act together this time, and I won't have to read a post from you in June that talks about the trouble you have had since you took over the company, and that now you are really going to deliver.
Uff-Da RC is offline Find More Posts by Uff-Da RC
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:29 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2007
239 Posts
it is a good thing this is a hobby, and products for a hobby. Nothing really lost by not having XPS product, other than having to own a different brand radio that has product available.
Uff-Da RC is offline Find More Posts by Uff-Da RC
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:13 PM
Registered User
E_ferret's Avatar
Launceston Arpt, Tasmania, Australia
Joined Jan 2004
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
and there's nothing wrong with income generation... XPS should make the satellites daisy-chain, all the extra sats just have an led turn on but actually don't do anything, add as many sats needed to keep inner voices happy
come on, you have to give people something for their money. How about the LED of the satellite turns red or green when the token is past to it.
the frequency hops from satellite to satellite. LED is green for a good link, LED is
red for a dropped (noisy) link. LED has sufficient latency to allow people to see
this in 'people time' (slow). say update every 16 full hopping cycles. The number
of satellites defines how many frequencies that the system can hop.
(must buy 16 satellites for the full band hopping!.
Deluxe satellites each show the frequency on a small LCD(backlit), includes a push button to cycle through various counters and setups. micro usb port for downloading counters. multi-card slot.
should sell like hot cakes.
E_ferret is offline Find More Posts by E_ferret
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:32 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,910 Posts
The Nano should never have telemetry. It can't transmit very far because it is extremely low power output. It has great sensitivity, but not transmission. There is no way to add voltage telemetry to the Nano without going back to the FCC lab for testing a new (larger) design. That's the reality of the Nano's design. Keep in mind that this receiver was strictly designed for flying indoors. It just so happened that I designed the Nano so well that it has a longer range than our regular full range receivers. So again, the transmission range, lack of internal voltage monitoring, and lack of telemetry interface port do not make the Nano a candidate for having telemetry capabilities.

The problems with my involvement with XPS started before the Nano was developed, and I am well aware of what I have been posting about. I like to chat about product ideas and products in production, but I do not like to talk about release dates. If you don't talk about what is being developed then people will lose interest. If you do talk about product development there is always a push for a release date. There is no way to win, so you have to pick the lesser of the two evils.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JimDrew; Dec 15, 2012 at 12:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:58 AM
Good Better Best quest.
olmod's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,523 Posts
Got an idea for you , an add on flip up wire frame viewer for modern day digital cameras so we can use them in bright sunlight ,just like we had when I was a boy stupid designers .
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:00 AM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2007
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
The Nano should never have telemetry. It can't transmit very far because it is extremely low power output. It has great sensitivity, but not transmission. There is no way to add voltage telemetry to the Nano without going back to the FCC lab for testing a new (larger) design. That's the reality of the Nano's design. Keep in mind that this receiver was strictly designed for flying indoors. It just so happened that I designed the Nano so well that it has a longer range than our regular full range receivers. So again, the transmission range, lack of internal voltage monitoring, and lack of telemetry interface port do not make the Nano a candidate for having telemetry capabilities.

The problems with my involvement with XPS started before the Nano was developed, and I am well aware of what I have been posting about. I like to chat about product ideas and products in production, but I do not like to talk about release dates. If you don't talk about what is being developed then people will lose interest. If you do talk about product development there is always a push for a release date. There is no way to win, so you have to pick the lesser of the two evils.
Thank you for the reply. If the transmission power of the Nano isn't there, I guess that will be the way it is. There is nothing wrong with making a park flyer RX that works better than all other RX's on the market. They are such wonderful versatile RX units that I will continue to buy them once you have some in the middle of January.
Since you mentioned the transmission power of the RX. How far is the transmission of the RX range compared to the receiving range?
If you make a satellite RX connected to a distribution box as an option. Can I still bind multiple RX with the satellite RX option at that point?
Uff-Da RC is offline Find More Posts by Uff-Da RC
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:34 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,910 Posts
The output power of the Nano is about 3mw including antenna gain. The output power of our transmitter modules is 63mw + antenna gain, which gives you 100mw EIRP.

Yes, you could have multiple receivers bound, including any number of remote RF units. You have to think as the remote RF unit as just a receiver missing the servo outputs, so all functionality would be the same.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:32 PM
Inciting Riots
village_idiot's Avatar
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
With the size of some of the new servos I think the integrated brick design for micro is becoming less of an issue for anything but the smallest aircraft. There is a need for them, but you have 3 different companies building them right now, is there room for a fourth? (Spectrum, Great Plains, and whatever the HobbyKing system is called). I do not see this as a good market for XPS right now, I see it as a money loser and only something that they should do when they get everything up and operating at full capacity again.

I can't comment on the gliders, no experience with that type of craft.

What I would like to see is new TX modules and an SDK for direct digital interface to third party encoders (Microstar and MP8K). Possible reintroduction of ground based receivers housings (nano in a plastic box?).

What to do with the old plastic cases? Not really sure, does seem like a huge waste to just grind them up but if there is no current need for that type of device, then there isn't much use for them. What would it take to get the old receivers back into production? Is it worth it or will people just buy several Nano receivers to do the same thing. Can't you make a servo board to use with the DivBee that will fit the old cases? How about use as a telemetry sensor breakout board to gather several sensors into a single data stream that runs back to the receiver?
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:00 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,910 Posts
I think your missed the point on breaking up the RF and servo output portions. This would give us more options for various installations, not focusing at all on the micro brick stuff.

The old cases have the pointy antenna, which is no longer being used.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:22 AM
Bazz
Swift Current, SK. Canada
Joined May 2007
85 Posts
I use the "pointy antenna" TX module in my JR 9303 -- has worked A1 for 5 years.
Bazz is offline Find More Posts by Bazz
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:45 AM
Daryl Wallis57's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Creswick
Joined May 2007
496 Posts
Hi Jim I have been flying an expensive Euro F3F model with a Nano and a two cell Life battery and it is always rock solid.

One thing that scared me though was that the 'state of the art' glider servos that I am using are not recommended for use with Life or Lipo's with out a voltage regulator (only found this out after visiting the manufacturers website).

So is it possible to add a voltage regulator function into the new receivers?

Regards Daryl
Daryl Wallis57 is online now Find More Posts by Daryl Wallis57
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:20 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
theKM's Avatar
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Wallis57 View Post
Hi Jim I have been flying an expensive Euro F3F model with a Nano and a two cell Life battery and it is always rock solid.

One thing that scared me though was that the 'state of the art' glider servos that I am using are not recommended for use with Life or Lipo's with out a voltage regulator (only found this out after visiting the manufacturers website).

So is it possible to add a voltage regulator function into the new receivers?

Regards Daryl

...just add a voltage regulator to your system to the specs that you need... lots of people using regulators, the ones built into receivers/systems are rather limiting.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:17 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,910 Posts
Correct. The Nano has it's own regulator. So, just regulate the input to the servo bus with the voltage you need. What brand servo are you using that has the warning?
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:02 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
rcbirk21's Avatar
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,473 Posts
i know this may come with a bit of backlash, but i really would like an rx with a hard case. i know there are a ton of ways to mount the nano, but i would really prefer one with a hardcase that always me some more traditional mounting options for the nano. I cant tell you how many times i have mounted it and the paper label started to come off and made it somewhat difficult to mount.

Oh and one other thing, while im thinking of it. It would be nice to have some sort of labels on the rx's to know which side the signal wire goes on it, similar to the spektrum stuff
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by rcbirk21; Dec 21, 2012 at 03:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:34 PM
Registered User
E_ferret's Avatar
Launceston Arpt, Tasmania, Australia
Joined Jan 2004
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbirk21 View Post
i know this may come with a bit of backlash, but i really would like an rx with a hard case. i know there are a ton of ways to mount the nano, but i would really prefer one with a hardcase that always me some more traditional mounting options for the nano. I cant tell you how many times i have mounted it and the paper label started to come off and made it somewhat difficult to mount.
there is such a thing as 3 to 1 heatshrink , but mostly in black. should easily slip over the small antennas without major bending.Then use urethane to glue the velcro and it will never come off.
E_ferret is offline Find More Posts by E_ferret
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Product request/idea for MX-20 zaguruinzasky FPV Talk 0 Oct 26, 2012 07:37 PM
Discussion A product idea Stumblebee Multirotor Electronics 9 Aug 27, 2012 08:21 PM
Discussion Wanted ideas of a product or a product to sell me camaroz28325 Aerial Photography 5 Jan 26, 2009 12:05 PM
Product idea - ATV/Endpoint adjuster dgoebel Electric Plane Talk 0 Jun 26, 2001 09:38 PM