HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2013, 02:32 PM
Joined Jul 2005
72 Posts
Discussion
UMX P51 or Mig 15

Hey

I've been on the side lines for a few years mostly flying heli's but a few weeks ago bought the AMX stryker and then got the UM 210 out of storage and I'm re hooked, MY LHS has the Mig 15 and P51 for the sae price, I fly in parks and development sites.

I have read most of the pages on the owners threads for both, and I am wondering if you had to chose between then two which one would you pick? I would like both but cannot justify it at this time. I go from I'm getting the Mig to I'm getting the P51.

C
Cman is offline Find More Posts by Cman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2013, 02:57 PM
Joined Jul 2011
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cman View Post
Hey

I've been on the side lines for a few years mostly flying heli's but a few weeks ago bought the AMX stryker and then got the UM 210 out of storage and I'm re hooked, MY LHS has the Mig 15 and P51 for the sae price, I fly in parks and development sites.

I have read most of the pages on the owners threads for both, and I am wondering if you had to chose between then two which one would you pick? I would like both but cannot justify it at this time. I go from I'm getting the Mig to I'm getting the P51.

C
Two completely different flying planes.I just recently purchased both.I love flying the um p51 in a smaller area and the mig 15 at larger parks.The p51 is a lot slower and more relaxing to fly but perfect for small areas to fly in,The mig 15 covers a lot of airspace pretty quick for a micro and responds really fast on the controls,spins like an arrow, handles wind pretty good.I almost dumped mine over correcting left to right.After about 15 flights now on my mig 15 I'm feeling more comfortable with it,but let your guard down once and you'll lose it.If i had to pick one it would be the um p51.It takes a lot less space to fly and land in"i belly land my planes"more relaxing to fly but thats what i prefer,and l love the looks of a p51.
airwoods is offline Find More Posts by airwoods
Old Jul 27, 2013, 05:33 PM
Medellín, Colombia
Joined Apr 2010
298 Posts
the mig 15 is discontinued, the p51 will have spare parts for a while
chulian1819 is offline Find More Posts by chulian1819
Old Jul 27, 2013, 06:34 PM
Joined Jul 2005
72 Posts
Thanks

I probably should go P51, but the fact that the MIG15 is being discontinued means my opportunities for owning one are limited.

I do prefer more relaxing and can use the stryker to get my fix, thanks for the input, im leaning towards the P51 or the spit if its there. Why do they keep producing these things, its killing me my bank account hates me.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 06:43 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,080 Posts
No it does not, they always make new spare parts for three years after an item is discontinued, while I agree he should get a um p-51 with as3x since the mig is so niche, it being discontinued still means you can get spare parts for a really long time, can't imagine needing spare parts longer than that. Plus, it shares everything but the airframe with other ultra micros that'll be around forever, sorry, just commenting that HH supports discontinued items for a long time.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Jul 27, 2013, 08:51 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
5,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cman View Post

im leaning towards the P51 or the spit if its there.
the spit is still selling at a discount: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ology-PKZU2180
i'm guessing that's for july only
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:17 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,651 Posts
Flies nice in the Horizon sales video.. dohhh.
Looks a bit cheesy in the close ups though. Lizard skin and poorly fitting parts.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:30 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
5,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Lizard skin and poorly fitting parts.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Jul 28, 2013, 02:09 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,624 Posts
Mig-15 being discontinued? God these things come and go quick. Who knows how many flying examples will be left in only a few more years :P Glad I have mine and haven't crashed it yet after about 30 flights.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Jul 28, 2013, 02:34 PM
Brandon
Meridian, Idaho
Joined Dec 2006
491 Posts
Get the Mig, because it's on sale. When is the next time you are going to be able to get one for $50 off?
hoverflyhehe is offline Find More Posts by hoverflyhehe
Old Jul 28, 2013, 09:16 PM
Joined Jul 2005
72 Posts
oddly enough the spitfire did nothing for me. I like the aircraft just not this version of it. I'm still on the fence on this one. I have watched a ton of videos on both, maybe I can have both..
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:17 AM
Brandon
Meridian, Idaho
Joined Dec 2006
491 Posts
That's funny, I just picked up a spit myself. I'm not a huge spit fan myself but I couldn't pass up the price. If money wasn't a concern, I would have picked up the P-40 personally.
hoverflyhehe is offline Find More Posts by hoverflyhehe
Old Jul 29, 2013, 09:54 AM
Joined Jul 2005
72 Posts
I am cheap so if the price is right at my lhs maybe i will come home with a spit. Laat time i was there p51 and mig were the same price.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 04:16 PM
Bruchpilot
berlin/germany
Joined Aug 2007
57 Posts
easy and scale : Spit ! (but noses over after landing alot, like the original^^)

hard and scale : P-40 (visit the p-40 thread to see itīs problems, but it looks verryyy nice in the air)

mig-15 : I donīt know but it looks and flies fantastic - from the videos i get the impression that itīs a pleasure to fly fast but will easily stall when slowing down. You gotta have space when trying to fly those i think.

edit: just ordered a stryker 180... P-40 is too scale for me.... flies reliable now after brushless conversion but still too scale for my taste... hope iīve been of help
el_bloom is offline Find More Posts by el_bloom
Old Jul 29, 2013, 04:32 PM
Little Rock, AR
Joined Nov 2005
253 Posts
If ya got the space, the Mig is awesome. you need some space to get it turned without worrying about a stall (downwind). It's fun, but you have to fly it. It's one of those planes that I start thinking about how I'm going to land it as soon as it's airborne. LOL. The p51 on the other hand is very relaxing in most conditions and fields. The thrill of 1S birds is kinda gone for me though, so I rarely break out the P51 anymore. So.... I guess the correct answer is... both!
tware is offline Find More Posts by tware