HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 12, 2013, 10:31 AM
Metallica
Londonderry UK
Joined Nov 2004
414 Posts
I am almost done with the hardware for my ROV,

Picture 1. shows the control case, I had an old case laying about so I've mounted a 7'' TV onto the lid, the custom controller is mounted below this with velcro so it can be reprogrammed with firmware upgrades. Also in the case is the ps2 joypad used for control and a 12v battery.

Picture 2. Shows the umbilical rolled up onto an old extension reel, this cable although better for transmitting data and video due to each pair of wires being shielded from each other is stiffer than I would have liked, but it'll done for now.

Picture 3 is the 4 way plug which plugs into a socket on the side of the umbilical reel to connect the controller to the umbilical.

Picture 4. Front view of ROV, you can see the dome with pan/tilt camera etc.

Picture 5 Side view, on the top at the rear is a pvc container with was to increase the buoyancy of the rear to help ROV float level without extra weight at front, a quick test showed it still requires about 1 lb on front to achieve level, it seemed less stable in the water with this container plus it leaks so still have some work to do around this aspect of the ROV.

Picture 6 Rear view, show motor connections coming through the bulk head
robe_uk is offline Find More Posts by robe_uk
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2013, 10:48 AM
Metallica
Londonderry UK
Joined Nov 2004
414 Posts
So am really happy that am making good progress and am sure I'll get a solution to my level problem, I think I might just add weight to the front to get it level then add some buoyancy to achieve a slightly positive buoyancy rather than trying to add buoyancy to the rear which seemed to make the ROV unstable.

Still a load of software work to be done, fail safe etc as mentioned previous, also will need to add a return to center function for the camera as its impossible to tell what direction its pointing when viewing the screen.

I have currently no way of recording the video feed but I'll have a look in the fpv forum and see what the guys are using there.

Another thing i noticed since rolling the umbilical onto the reel is the am getting comm errors flagging up, must be getting some cross talk which wasn't there when the cable was in a larger looser coil, doesn't show up on the video and thankfully the software can cope with it.

Rob
Old May 12, 2013, 11:17 AM
Joined May 2012
41 Posts
Hi guys maybe I'm not in the right place… but I need to get an advice what is the best frequency radio control to use with 900mhz FPV gear?
I've got a range problem using 2.4 (spektrum ) I lost the signal about 500M when Vtx is on! Thanks a lot
zodrik81 is offline Find More Posts by zodrik81
Old May 12, 2013, 11:26 AM
Metallica
Londonderry UK
Joined Nov 2004
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zodrik81 View Post
Hi guys maybe I'm not in the right place… but I need to get an advice what is the best frequency radio control to use with 900mhz FPV gear?
I've got a range problem using 2.4 (spektrum ) I lost the signal about 500M when Vtx is on! Thanks a lot
Nope wrong place, try here
Old May 13, 2013, 03:20 PM
Metallica
Londonderry UK
Joined Nov 2004
414 Posts
Ok, couple of changes, I've added weight to the front so the ROV sits level in the water and repositioned the buoyancy cylinder to the middle, without it the ROV is negative and will sink, so I think its better that it floats with no power.

As promised a video of the latest wheelie bin test.

ROV wheelie bin test (1 min 0 sec)
Old May 15, 2013, 09:56 PM
Joined Jan 2011
79 Posts
I think it's looking good.

Do you think replacing the the single buoyancy tube on top with multiple smaller tubes it might help to make it more stable?

Not sure if it would work, but thought it might be worth while checking out.

Nic
which.wabbit is offline Find More Posts by which.wabbit
Old May 16, 2013, 07:39 AM
Metallica
Londonderry UK
Joined Nov 2004
414 Posts
Hi Nic
Yes I think you are right, I'll have a look about to see what I could use.

Cheers Rob
Old May 25, 2013, 04:15 PM
Metallica
Londonderry UK
Joined Nov 2004
414 Posts
I have changed the buoyancy cylinder to two thinner tubes and made brackets which hold them, looks much neater.
The tubes are 22mm pvc with quick fit push on end-caps (standard plumbing stuff), it is easy to remove the end-caps if the length of pipes needs to be changed for fine tuning of buoyancy if needed
Old May 25, 2013, 04:24 PM
Metallica
Londonderry UK
Joined Nov 2004
414 Posts
oh, and I've got one of the sd video recorders from foxtechfpv, so once I get it installed in the control box we'll be a step closer to getting some testing done. Still have a few software changes I want to make, all in good time
Old May 28, 2013, 08:24 PM
Joined Jan 2011
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robe_uk View Post
I have changed the buoyancy cylinder to two thinner tubes and made brackets which hold them, looks much neater.
The tubes are 22mm pvc with quick fit push on end-caps (standard plumbing stuff), it is easy to remove the end-caps if the length of pipes needs to be changed for fine tuning of buoyancy if needed
Looks good. Have you had a chance to see if the change helped with stability?
which.wabbit is offline Find More Posts by which.wabbit
Old May 29, 2013, 02:26 AM
Metallica
Londonderry UK
Joined Nov 2004
414 Posts
Hi, a quick test in a large tub suggests less pitching about when using thrusters, life getting in the way of some proper testing.
Old Jun 04, 2013, 01:51 AM
United States, SC, Pelion
Joined Dec 2012
34 Posts
Rov

Looking at the dates it looks like a 2 plus year project. Is this the case?

Don't get me wrong, the work is amazing, I couldn't touch it in 5 years...lol

I dive also, My dad started me diving at 13 as a ROV, tied a rope to the tank told me what to get and sent me after it, I would find and grab it, tug on the rope and he and friends would pull me up. He build docks and piers on Lake Murray in Lexington, South Carolina USA. Man made lake, pretty big and full pool about 360 feet. Anyway it made me good at finding things and lucky I am alive making 30 to 60 feet dives with NO training. I did get my certification and I am 46 now...lol anyway sorry about all that, I had lost interest in diving and I wanted to thank you for what you have posted and your project. It has got my diving interest back and I am a single parent with 2 kids 12 and 14 that love RC cars and planes and love the water.

Your project and post has convinced me to get back into diving and to properly introduce them to diving (Instructed at school FIRST) and they love to build project so this I think they would absolutely love. I wont be able to get as fancy as you did I will have to keep a KISS rule but thank you so much for the idea's and the inspiration!!!

Have a great day and life,
God Speed!
Rusty

Has it been in open water yet?
Sorry this was so long, a simple thank you did not seem to be enough for what you have done!
Quote:
Originally Posted by robe_uk View Post
Hi, a quick test in a large tub suggests less pitching about when using thrusters, life getting in the way of some proper testing.
Rusty0125 is offline Find More Posts by Rusty0125
Old Jun 04, 2013, 05:18 PM
Metallica
Londonderry UK
Joined Nov 2004
414 Posts
Hi Rusty
Thank you for your kind words, am delighted that my scribblings have inspired someone.
Don't think I would have fancied learning to dive like you did although I am finding work and life have almost ceased my diving over the last few years, but this makes me enjoy those dives I do get all the more. You are doing the right thing putting your own kids through a proper school rather than throwing them in at the deep end so to speak.
Anyway, this rov has been an ongoing project since about 2009 when I laid down the first code for the custom controller, I've come and gone from the project during that time so its not had my full attention until recently. i have found the making thing too complex can be disheartening as visible results come so slowly.
As it is the rov is usable but am finding I want to make slight tweaks to this or that and I'll have to find some where local that I can test it as the closest pier to me is 40-50 minutes drive away.
I can recomend popping over to homebuiltrovs.com for more ideas and information.
Now the best advise I can give you or anyone starting out is to make the simplest rov possible, use trolling motors with switches and relays to get you up and going, then move onto a more complex build if you wish.

Good luck with all you do and let us know how you get on.

Rob
Old Jun 05, 2013, 11:49 PM
United States, SC, Pelion
Joined Dec 2012
34 Posts
Yes it was a interesting way to learn SCUBA. My first trip down I had to search a little to find these rail road irons 3 feet long he wanted. Well cress crossing searching I went above and bellow the cables that held the floating marina boat house, didn't think about the rope they were feeding out and trailing behind me (I was 13) and bam...I was yanked back, yep a knot had been tied on one of the cables... So I back traced my path (Followed Rope) till I found the knot then I had to unstrap all the backpack and untie the rope to get it untangled and in the process of flipping the pack over my head it knocked off my mask so then I had to find mask, put everything back on and etc...you can fill the rest in. I have to say though I think I had a guardian angel down there with me because I don't know where the thought process came from at 13 with no dive training other than breath through this and watch this gauge and don't hold you breath when ascending.. to do all that at about 30 to 40 feet down with a visibility of maybe 10 feet at most. Lake Murray is also called lake murky....

Back to the ROV, mentioned it to the kids, the first thing out their mouth was COOL and can we put a arm on it to pick things up and how about strap a spear gun on the side....Kids, gotta love em! Will let you know how it goes.

I would try a in ground pool for testing if available.
Rusty0125 is offline Find More Posts by Rusty0125
Old Dec 26, 2013, 12:31 AM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Jun 2013
217 Posts
I was just checking out this forum for the first time. Great build up! Any deep water dives with your craft yet?
SirRexAlot is offline Find More Posts by SirRexAlot