HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2004, 04:02 PM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,209 Posts
Removable Wing Conversion For SS?

I don't believe I'm the first to think of this, so, if you can help me find the thread that deals with the issue, I'd appreciate it. If this thread hasn't been discussed, then let's get on with it . . .

Soon after I received my SS, I began thinking how easy and perhaps effective it would be to "convert" the wing to have a flat bottom. One method to convert to a flat bottom wing would use a flat piece of ~1/4 inch foam simply taped onto the bottom of the wing. If necessary, ribs could be added and glued onto the flat sheet, or whatever.

I'm guessing - but wouldn't this still give a great lifting wing, but also provide less drag, thus making the SS perhaps easier to fly in wind? I'm certain this would increase speed somewhat - but would that deter the a/p performance significantly? Obviously the weight would be affected, but would the altered flight characteristics be favorable to the added weight?

Making the flat panels and taping them on wouldn't require much time or materials, and it would be quick, simple & easy to convert the SS wing from flat-bottom to undercambered wing & vice versa simply by removing or adding the panels.

Does this seem like it would be something which would yeild favorable results?

Thanks,

Buzz
Buzz_Man is online now Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2004, 04:12 PM
BRRRRRRRRRRT!! owe.....
s,port
Joined Jan 2004
267 Posts
would you want to take out some of the dihedral or leave it the same if you were to make it flat bottom?
eyedoc is offline Find More Posts by eyedoc
Old Oct 13, 2004, 04:28 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
Hmm, i never thought of a removable conversion. You could make it like you said, a flat sheet with ribs that would fit into the wing, and maybe even two or three dowels under it to use rubberbands to hold the "conversion" into place. It would sure be easy to try...
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Oct 13, 2004, 05:13 PM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,209 Posts
Quote:
would you want to take out some of the dihedral or leave it the same if you were to make it flat bottom?
I didn't think of reducing or eliminating the dihedral, but I guess you could as long as there's no glue where the wing halves join up. I guess the next question would be ailerons - seems like that'd be taking the SS wing a bit too far - with such radical changes, it just doesn't seem likely to be able to perform well.

Maybe I'm just too pesimistic. ?
Buzz_Man is online now Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
Old Oct 13, 2004, 05:53 PM
Near Disneyland in Placentia, Southern California, USA
Joined Aug 2004
500 Posts
Hey Buzz Man
There is certainly nothing that says you can't close up the lower wing surface on the SS, but be aware of the consequences!
The wing will certainly have less drag BUT it will have less lifting power than the undercamber it had stock. It will also fly faster and penetrate the wind better as a result of the lower drag BUT it will require much more space to land.
Remember, EVERYTHING has a counterbalance to it. You just need to determine what you want the SS to do. There is NO perfect solution (darn!)
A possible partial compromise might be to enclose the bottom of the SS wing with something like a non-stretchable variety of Saran Wrap, which could very easily be taped on (and removed) and would reduce Some of the drag BUT because of the flexibility of the Saran Wrap, would still automatically develop some undercamber so not as much lifting power is lost.
Just a thought(grin)
Regards
Bernd
BerndM is offline Find More Posts by BerndM
Old Oct 13, 2004, 06:57 PM
Clintwood, Virginia
Joined Jul 2003
1,146 Posts
My dad wrapped his SS wing with that large saran wrap type stuff (like they have at Lowes to wrap up lumber and such). We didn't try it in the wind, but noticed that it was considerably faster.
Before I went through all the trouble of making the bottom removable, I think I would just buy a slope glider and make a "wind" wing to swap for the regular wing. Might be easier and not terribly expensive at less than $30.
Newberry is offline Find More Posts by Newberry
Old Oct 13, 2004, 07:59 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
I made foam ribs and covered the bottom of an SS wing and didn't like it at all. All the good qualities of the SS disappeared. No more floating around didn't fly nearly as good and after one flight removed the whole mess and returned the wing to it's lovable original state!
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Oct 13, 2004, 08:55 PM
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
Ok, it seems that flat bottom wings are not very likeable, and the stock wings are a bit too draggy, so what about a comprimise, right down the middle? Make the foam ribs to fit in the wing, but make an undercambered bottom on them, that will hold the bottom sheet at around half of the undercamber that's int he wing stock, and airfoil sorta like in the picture? It woul need to be a foam sheet though, like depron or something.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 09:46 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLuneau
Ok, it seems that flat bottom wings are not very likeable, and the stock wings are a bit too draggy, so what about a comprimise, right down the middle? Make the foam ribs to fit in the wing, but make an undercambered bottom on them, that will hold the bottom sheet at around half of the undercamber that's int he wing stock, and airfoil sorta like in the picture? It woul need to be a foam sheet though, like depron or something.
OK let me ask you a question.... If you don't like the way the SS flys with a draggy wing why try to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Get a plane like the Miss 2 or many others that doesn't have the draggy wing you seem to dislike instead of doing something that at best would still be a compromise trying to make the SS into something it was never designed to be??? Uping the power and reinforcing the wing sure takes the draggyness out of the SS in a hurry! That way when you go to land that great draggyness that lets you grease in a slow landing is still there!
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Last edited by boomerace; Oct 13, 2004 at 09:49 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 09:59 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
You know after building 11 SS's and doing everything known to man to them I am convinced that other than reinforcing the plane and adding brushless power any thing beyond that in trying to make the SS into something else is a waste of time. I have a brushless SS with a Tipsy Nipper wing with ailerons fitted and brushless power and it's a blast to fly but by any stretch of the imagination it is no longer a SS!!! The SS is one of the greatest workhorse and cheapest fun to fly platforms out there IMHO!
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Old Oct 13, 2004, 10:37 PM
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I love the Slowstick. I'm currently working on anotehr plane for windy days. I was just trying to post some ideas about what this thread was about, making the Slowstick handle more winds. I personally don't intend to alter my Slowstick anytime soon. I'm happy with it.

Quote:
I'm guessing - but wouldn't this still give a great lifting wing, but also provide less drag, thus making the SS perhaps easier to fly in wind?
Old Oct 13, 2004, 11:34 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLuneau
Don't get me wrong, I love the Slowstick. I'm currently working on anotehr plane for windy days. I was just trying to post some ideas about what this thread was about, making the Slowstick handle more winds. I personally don't intend to alter my Slowstick anytime soon. I'm happy with it.
God knows after what I've done to the poor things I would be the last to discourage any expermentation you want to do! I was trying to convince the people with tight funds that doing anything to the plane such as has been talked about will likely ruin the flying qualities.
boomer
www.boomerseflight.com
Old Oct 14, 2004, 12:36 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,768 Posts
You mean like putting eight motors on a plane !. THAT was a classic, my jaw hit the floor when I saw that one. The M.O.A.S.S. (Mother Of All Slow Sticks).
Usta Bee is online now Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Oct 14, 2004, 08:43 AM
Gustavo Exel
Switzerland, GE, Geneva
Joined May 2003
1,763 Posts
A friend here in Brazil called Sergio Handa put some food plastic film on the bottom of his SS wing, attached with double sided tape.

I think in flight it flexes to make the airfoil look like what KeithLuneau posted above and the end result is that he liked a lot the results. I've seen it fly and confirm that it worked well, the flight speed was upped considerably making it possible to fly on stronger winds and still can behave as this slow floater we all love.

Gustavo
gustabmo is offline Find More Posts by gustabmo
Old Oct 14, 2004, 09:39 AM
Orlando Int, Florida, United States
Joined Dec 2003
1,196 Posts
Guys,

Here's a wing I added for some more speed and those windy days. Its a Wattage Mad Max wing that costs $20 ready to install. Its made of depron and has a depron spar. I added a CF spar and some FFF on top for mounting a servo. I call it a Quick Stick and performs great. I was flying it with a Himax 2025 with 175 watts and it had lots of speed but I recently purchased a Chili Pepper C20-4200 with 225 watts and its a speed demon. The Chili Pepper has lots of power for those heavy loads.

Mac8
Mac8 is offline Find More Posts by Mac8
Last edited by Mac8; Oct 14, 2004 at 09:43 AM.