Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:02 AM
Suomi, Lšnsi-Suomi, Uurainen
Joined Jan 2004
669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah View Post
I hope for you it's a "real" one, not the touch-sensitive foils Graupner and Futaba have all been putting in their latest radios - it's really awful.

The JR-style roller is the fastest entry mode I've used on any radio.
I agree on the touch sensitive foils, these are really bad particularly on cold conditions.

However, the JR style roller is an ergonomical disaster as well, because pushing is needed for both, adjusting and selecting, you end up doing errors after errors particularly if you can't have a good touch on the roller (you have gloves on or your hands are cold etc.).

The normal rotary encoder needs push for selecting and turn for adjusting, so you can make adjustments easily even with the gloves on. I don't think that there is any practical difference in adjusting speed between the roller and the normal rotary encoder even at optimal conditions, however, at worse conditions the normal rotary encoder is superior by far.

There is millions of mouses with rollers on use all the time and every second probably hundreds of people accidentally enter to mouse browsing mode due the same ergonomical problem as on the JR style roller.
Harri Pihl is offline Find More Posts by Harri Pihl
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:55 AM
Crash Test Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jul 2012
380 Posts
Official rendering?

So is that an "official rendering" of the 12d Renatoa? Is that the 16d in the image to the left? Call it a teaser corner Can't wait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
Someone should wait for X12D too, right ?

And a more detailed X12D 3D rendering.
Levictus is offline Find More Posts by Levictus
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:55 AM
Chipping Norton, UK
Joined Jul 2006
390 Posts
Renatoa does the X9D balance on the neck strap?

Just wondering if the case was designed for a 2.4 GHz instalation or a long aerial.

Really don't need more than 9 channels but do want good balance, anyway looks great always liked the feel of JR type radios.
Graham 65 is offline Find More Posts by Graham 65
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:43 AM
Suspended Account
M$ Security
Joined Jun 2010
728 Posts
c'mon guys, do not say "X12D is good" this is what they want to hear to raise the price...
Mikarro is offline Find More Posts by Mikarro
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:44 AM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajazo View Post
I already have a 9cap super with frsky module, then no real interest for a X9...my focus will be on X12 ..please keep this look and don't forget lateral sliders!!!
I currently fly the 9CAP Super with FrSky also, and I'll be jumping into the X9D right away. With features like fully integrated telemetry, alarms for everything, mixing for everything, speech, receiver matching, and all of the other great features, I'll happily switch.

They all have side sliders. The 16 will probably be getting the rotary encoder the FPV guys want.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:56 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levictus View Post
So is that an "official rendering" of the 12d Renatoa? Is that the 16d in the image to the left? Call it a teaser corner Can't wait!
Not final, one of the some, the closest.
That's why posted, to have feedback.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:01 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham 65 View Post
Renatoa does the X9D balance on the neck strap?

Just wondering if the case was designed for a 2.4 GHz instalation or a long aerial.

Really don't need more than 9 channels but do want good balance, anyway looks great always liked the feel of JR type radios.
Not having it in my hands yet.
But, given the lighter battery, 2s only, and a potential telemetry display on top, I hope to balance better than expected.
If not, for this purpose was invented the lead
Ouch... just remember the shock of adding 300 grams of lead to balance my Bird of Time this weekend... I don't like it that nose heavy ...
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:28 AM
Joined Oct 2011
140 Posts
Quote:
Not final, one of the some, the closest.
That's why posted, to have feedback.
OK, some feedback then.
X9D:
I guess it's targeted as entry level (if not, expectations would be higher). Nothing much to say about it. Looks like average radio. Big display is nice. I see no problem there. Just personal preference - I don't like "silver" plastic colours. Ball bearings would be nice, but depends on price range.

X12D:
Looks pretty well, some cool factor there. Nice.
Second impression - those central knobs looks too close. Hard to say how difficult it would be to use them. Also I'd prefer if they had some texture, they look too smooth, risk of slipping with sweaty fingers.
Those switches looks pretty tiny, I don't want to be afraid to break them.
Corner pots looks odd. Not sure about usability. I'd prefer the ones from older render.
Ball bearings is a must.
Top LCD looks like positionable. It's not necessary. I'd go the cheaper way. Just make sure the display shield is not too glossy.

EDIT: Another thought - if the old render knobs really had switch in the middle, that would be nice. I have Graupner MX-20 and with 3 switches for telemetry (vario on/off, repeat item, next item) there is not enough switches for me to use all possibilities radio has. And yet another thought - rotary encoder would be great. Especially for navigation through telemetry. MX-20 can't do this and it's pain in the ... Well, there should be some features left for X16D I guess
mihlit is offline Find More Posts by mihlit
Last edited by mihlit; Nov 13, 2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:31 AM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
I currently fly the 9CAP Super with FrSky also, and I'll be jumping into the X9D right away. With features like fully integrated telemetry, alarms for everything, mixing for everything, speech, receiver matching, and all of the other great features, I'll happily switch.

They all have side sliders.
-Wayne
Exactly what I want in a radio....not enough for others tho.
A10FLYR is online now Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:35 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,520 Posts
After the delays and lack of information I was worried, but I'm pretty impressed with what they've come up with. Yes we don't know the price or delivery timescales, but if they are by end of year for the X9D and mid 2013 for the X12D.I think FrSky have some very competitive products here.

Sure the X9D is no Giselle Bundchen, but what <$100 radio is? What you're after at that end of the market is more bang for the buck. If FrSky can offer similar or better functionality thanthe 9X (which it should do convincingly based on the specs) plus better build quality for not too much money then it will be a great combination. Yes the HK 9XR is looking on the horizon, but for those who've already bought plenty of FrSky RXs this is likely to be preferred given the inbuilt telemetry and audio alarms.

As to the X12D, well... I'm excited . Mixing flexibility, build quality, ergonomics, feel in the hands and price are all far more important to me than looks, but the fact I do like the look of it is an unexpected bonus! I am a little concerned at the size of it (though I suppose given the dual module design this was always likely), but I'm transitioning to fingers and thumbs anyway so it's not a show stopper for me. To my eyese it looks like the love child of the (early proto) Jeti DS16 and a DX8...

+ =

If they can deliver the promised functionality (particularly the mixing flexibility and inbuilt telelmetry with easily programmed audio alarms) plus good quality sticks at a reasonable price I will be very happy.. I have a sneaky feeling this one is going to be more expensive than people might hope - maybe $200-300 - but I'd rather that than the physicals be poor quality. I like my TXs to be still usable 10 years after purchase thanks!

PS - To all those saying "I hate rotary rollers/touchscreens/6 position switches/whatever else", lets not forget that every TX ever made has had ergonomic good points and bad points; there is no perfect layout. The TX manufacturers will be criticised whatever configuration they choose, so they have to choose what is best for Joe Average in their target audience; if you aren't him, don't waste your time being offended! Ultimately the human brain is an amazing thing, and given a bit of time can adjust to most things - I know there were things in my Evo that I hated on day 1, but no longer even register as niggles. At the end of the day if I like the balance of price, features and build quality I there I can't see why anyone would make a big deal of whether it has a roller or not, but maybe that's just me!

PPS...
Quote:
Ouch... just remember the shock of adding 300 grams of lead to balance my Bird of Time this weekend... I don't like it that nose heavy ...
It doesn't matter how much lead you put in the nose mate - flying a BoT is always about as interesting as watching paint dry...
MattyB is offline Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MattyB; Nov 13, 2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:46 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihlit View Post
X12D:
Those switches looks pretty tiny, I don't want to be afraid to break them.
To me they are normal size, it's the radio that's particularly (too) big (can be seen from the size of the gimbals compared to the whole case). BTW I'm afraid the switches out on the shoulders will be too far to be easily reachable.

I agree with the pots too close to each other, can't even put the finger inbetween apaprently. The older corner pots seem better indeed.
Kilrah is offline Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:01 PM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,520 Posts
Actually, I do have one negative on the X12D - the aerial. Obviously we have two different renders here, one with the aerial straight out the top and the other built into the handle by the looks of it. Given the size of the TX I think the straight out of the top version would be a bad move - it's going to need a huge case to put it in. A standard articulating 2.4 aerial would be much better, or built into the handle as per render 1.
MattyB is offline Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My OpenTX Taranis templates...
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:13 PM
Crash Test Pilot
Joined Jul 2012
380 Posts
I think when you hold it it would play a lot smaller than it looks particularly because it appears thinner than the old 9x case. I think a thinner wider case would be great...as long as the controls are easily accessible at the top corners...and I also love the look of the DS16...

I really like the layout, agree about the pots looking too close (though I don't ever use pots for anything, in fact, being in the hobby under a year, I wouldn't even know what to use them for, HA!)

Anyone have a 3 pos switch count?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah View Post
To me they are normal size, it's the radio that's particularly (too) big (can be seen from the size of the gimbals compared to the whole case). BTW I'm afraid the switches out on the shoulders will be too far to be easily reachable.

I agree with the pots too close to each other, can't even put the finger inbetween apaprently. The older corner pots seem better indeed.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:15 PM
Crash Test Pilot
Joined Jul 2012
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB View Post
Actually, I do have one negative on the X12D - the aerial. Obviously we have two different renders here, one with the aerial straight out the top and the other built into the handle by the looks of it. Given the size of the TX I think the straight out of the top version would be a bad move - it's going to need a huge case to put it in. A standard articulating 2.4 aerial would be much better, or built into the handle as per render 1.
+1 on the antenna built into the handle...if there isn't a removable module, why have a wonky antenna coming out the top. Of course functionality and overall reception should trump aesthetics.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:16 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,555 Posts
FrSky will be producing a mock up of the X12D to confirm good ergo-dynamics. They will be paying very close attention to usability, comfort, balance, textures, etc.

Even if the 3 knobs in the center are too close, you still have 2 digital trims above the gimbals, and the sliders on the sides. So you have a choice 7 different variables! This should meet everyone's needs.

Yes, the top display can be positioned to your ideal angle. As far as I know, the silver things on the side sliders are not buttons.

I also understand the radios will be VERY easy to convert between different modes.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Closed Thread