HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 10, 2010, 09:14 PM
'Lectric Aficionado
USA, TX, San Angelo
Joined Mar 2006
685 Posts
Idea
How about a piYak??!!

Ok a little background here. My two favorite foamies are Sr71fan's pi plane and Leadfeather's EPP Yak. SO I wondered how would a piYak fly if it existed? Well it actually flies great! And with the EPP construction, it is going to last longer too which is a real bonus since I have built like 10 pi planes in the last couple years. Here is what I used to build it.

9mm 1.9 lb EPP foam
pico servos x 3
AR6100 rx
BW 1500 kv motor
GWS 9x4.7 prop
Turnigy plush 10 esc
500 mAh 2s LiPo
plastic HK motor mount

The disc is 18" in diameter and fuse 23" in length overall

Also I have no plans made, and since I have no CAD program there are no plans for plans lol If anyone out there wants to draw some plans, I can give you dimensions.

I have attached a pic and a video. This is my first time to edit a video, and first time to upload one too, so be gentle. I had no camera man handy so I had to go it on my own. It is also the test flight which actually went pretty well.

This is now my new favorite plane!

Mark

First flight of the piYak!! (2 min 58 sec)
aeronot is offline Find More Posts by aeronot
Last edited by aeronot; Apr 10, 2010 at 10:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2010, 10:52 PM
Flying...Pushing Air Down
Clovis, NM, USA
Joined Nov 2000
3,548 Posts
piYak

Too COOL!

Great! Now, I'll have to build one.

WooHoo!
sr71fan is offline Find More Posts by sr71fan
Old Apr 10, 2010, 10:57 PM
USA, IA, Sioux City
Joined Apr 2005
182 Posts
That is one cool little airplane Great job
aranel is offline Find More Posts by aranel
Old Apr 10, 2010, 10:58 PM
Joined Oct 2007
6 Posts
I want one

Very nice Mark I need the template and some of your eppUnless you would like to build me one.
Tom Madron is offline Find More Posts by Tom Madron
Old Apr 10, 2010, 11:05 PM
Flying...Pushing Air Down
Clovis, NM, USA
Joined Nov 2000
3,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Madron View Post
Very nice Mark I need the template and some of your eppUnless you would like to build me one.
Now that's funny, right there!
sr71fan is offline Find More Posts by sr71fan
Old Apr 10, 2010, 11:06 PM
'Lectric Aficionado
USA, TX, San Angelo
Joined Mar 2006
685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Madron View Post
Unless you would like to build me one.
Umm let me think about it for a minute...NO!!!!

I am finishing the templates right now, so I can cut them on a hot wire.

It is really a blast to fly. So libertating to fly a plane you have no fear of crashing.

Mark
Old Apr 11, 2010, 01:09 AM
USA, CA, San Carlos
Joined Nov 2007
1,332 Posts
those torque rolls are CRAZY!!! looks like some real tight loops, too. looks like something you can just go "balls to the walls" with with no fear.

- Jeff
jkarnacki is offline Find More Posts by jkarnacki
Old Apr 11, 2010, 05:32 AM
'Lectric Aficionado
USA, TX, San Angelo
Joined Mar 2006
685 Posts
Jeff there is a little fear lol. All of the pi planes have very similar flight performance. They are best described as kinda a "3D only" design. You have to have good command of your rudder and throttle or you just simply aren't going to enjoy it very much because it won't go where you want it to lol. As with any "edgy" design it can get away from you very quickly too. But this version with the EPP construction will allow you to crash without near as many consequences which can buy you a lot of forgiveness! You will probably need a stash of props if you have never flown one though...ok you need a stash of props even if you have flown one before!

Mark
Last edited by aeronot; Apr 11, 2010 at 05:38 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 06:28 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronot View Post
Jeff there is a little fear lol. All of the pi planes have very similar flight performance. They are best described as kinda a "3D only" design. You have to have good command of your rudder and throttle or you just simply aren't going to enjoy it very much because it won't go where you want it to lol. As with any "edgy" design it can get away from you very quickly too. But this version with the EPP construction will allow you to crash without near as many consequences which can buy you a lot of forgiveness! You will probably need a stash of props if you have never flown one though...ok you need a stash of props even if you have flown one before!

Mark
The moral of the story is don't use GWS slowfly props unless you can get them wholesale

Great plane BTW..PiPlanes and their friends are always good fun.... I was flying my PiPlane outdoors yesterday as there was only 6mph wind.
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Apr 11, 2010, 06:39 AM
'Lectric Aficionado
USA, TX, San Angelo
Joined Mar 2006
685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan View Post
The moral of the story is don't use GWS slowfly props unless you can get them wholesale

Great plane BTW..PiPlanes and their friends are always good fun.... I was flying my PiPlane outdoors yesterday as there was only 6mph wind.
Very true on the SF props as they aren't durable. I also use the GWS HD 9x5 as it has similar performance and is tougher. But I still think the 9x4.7 flies better on some models. It does seem to have better throttle response and generally flies "snappier" too. I get them from HK in 6 packs so I can afford to break a few...

Mark
Old Apr 11, 2010, 07:49 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Joined Jul 2002
24,049 Posts
Cute Plane !!! Just a suggestion ... a simple monowheel landing gear will help with the prop breaking bit ... shouldn't affect performance that much ..
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Apr 11, 2010, 08:01 AM
Winging it Ò>
Joined May 2006
9,378 Posts
aeronot, What a great flying plane, nice job!
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Apr 11, 2010, 10:06 AM
'Lectric Aficionado
USA, TX, San Angelo
Joined Mar 2006
685 Posts
Thanks guys for all the compliments!

GPW I was told by SR71fan that he would shoot me if I ever put landing gear on a pi plane...

I actuallly started to add gear once, but I have gotten so used to hand launch and recovery that it might seem odd to fly one with gear. I might have to try it sometime.

I just flew the piYak outside and had a blast. Too much fun!

Mark
Old Apr 11, 2010, 10:31 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,165 Posts
A pi and a Yak, great idea.

LG would add a demension to your flying.........shooting T n' Gs. The extra fun might override the fear of being shot.
goldguy is online now Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old Apr 12, 2010, 06:48 PM
Joined Feb 2010
35 Posts
aeronot thanks for the idea hope mine flies as well as yours
deisel1 is offline Find More Posts by deisel1