HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:12 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,879 Posts
Definitely not. It'll monitor cells, but will not balance unless balance mode is chosen.
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:25 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
That's just it, it doesn't remember. While it'll come back to last chemistry and charge rate used, it reverts to normal charge and the user is required to manually change it to balance each and every time. To me, this is a flaw.
I might be thinking of my Hota A6, another cheap(er) charger that uses pretty much the same firmware.

It's not that big a deal to me as I fly micros and 3S, so my settings change all the time anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gapi View Post
Is it not true if you connect the balance cord even though it does not say Balance mode it does it anyway?
I've never heard that and I certainly don't want to test the theory.
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:14 PM
Joined Jan 2013
12 Posts
12-1S Lipo one shot charging

Did anyone try this charger on 12-1S parallel charging?
I am planning to get 12 stock V911 battery when I could get the heli soon.

The math would be 3.7V x 12 x 0.15A = 6.66Watt (if I am correct)
I assume as long as the Watt required is below 50W of the charger can supply is safe enough to attempt..?

If someone ever tried or understood how it could be implement to charge up 12-1S Lipo in a shot whether simply by parallel or combination of series-parallel, please shed me some light.
Thanks.
guner7 is offline Find More Posts by guner7
Last edited by guner7; Feb 02, 2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:22 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guner7 View Post
Did anyone try this charger on 12-1S parallel charging?
I am planning to get 12 stock V911 battery when I could get the heli soon.

The math would be 3.7V x 12 x 0.15A = 6.66Watt (if I am correct)
I assume as long as the Watt required is below 50W of the charger can supply is safe enough to attempt..?

If someone ever tried or understood how it could be implement to charge up 12-1S Lipo in a shot, whether by simply parallel or combination of series-parallel please shed me some light.
Thanks.
Make a parallel harness for all 12, charge at 3.7v (1s), 1.8 amps (12 x 0.150A)
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:52 PM
Joined Jan 2013
12 Posts
SO it is really doable method..
Thanks for the quick clarification, HF.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:22 PM
Wallop!
Bussum, Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
731 Posts
Guner7, yes but please assure that all cells have (nearly) equal voltage before connecting them in parallel. Otherwise high balancing currents will flow that will shorten their life or worse.

Guys who deny this are right; they use worn-out cells that have too high internal resistance for which the problem is not there .

Martin
Martin7182 is offline Find More Posts by Martin7182
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:15 PM
Joined Jan 2013
12 Posts
Martin, I read somewhere else about parallel charging (2S and above) and it mentioned that one should connect the main leads first before balance adapter as what you're concern over here. So I take 1S have had only main leads that can only use to equalize their voltages, of course in the closer range.

But I would ask: what is the appropriate step you would recommend to ensure they are somewhat have an equal voltages if I don't have any voltage checker, or even I knew one is 3.3 and another is 3.6, what could I do to even them out? I am actually looking for an answer to this but couldn't seems to get a right one..

I spoiled my S107G Lipo due to the lack of awareness of Lipo care so I am particular concerning in this matter..
Last edited by guner7; Feb 02, 2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:03 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
Quote:
Martin, I read somewhere else about parallel charging (2S and above) and it mentioned that one should connect the main leads first before balance adapter as what you're concern over here. So I take 1S have had only main leads that can only use to equalize their voltages, of course in the closer range.

But I would ask: what is the appropriate step you would recommend to ensure they are somewhat have an equal voltages if I don't have any voltage checker, or even I knew one is 3.3 and another is 3.6, what could I do to even them out? I am actually looking for an answer to this but couldn't seems to get a right one..

I spoiled my S107G Lipo due to the lack of awareness of Lipo care so I am particular concerning in this matter..
Martin raises a very good point. For me, the easiest method is to fly with a timer. Then at the end, all cells are very close to the same voltage. I saw someone do a test here, and his conclusion was that if the batteries are within 20% of the same voltage, it is no problem. So, any cells that are 3.5V to 4.2V can be charged together. I try to keep mine inside 10% when parallel charging, meaning 3.5 - 3.85V.

I do measure each individual cell voltage every time before hooking up together to parallel charge, just in case I mixed in a charged battery or something like that.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:07 AM
Wallop!
Bussum, Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
731 Posts
Quote:

This hobby is so much easier with a couple of basic tools. These are a few of my personal favourites:

Voltage checker:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8S-Lipo-Li...item4d08ea2c2d
(Just an example, don't know this seller). For 1s this would not be accurate; the specs say "1S test mode voltage range: 4-15V". A quick test shows that that's indeed true. Below 4V the reading is false. But you could put multiple 1s lipo's in a series harness and test them together. Then you could also easily balance them using e.g. this tool:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10786

Otherwise you could create a manually operated balance rig by soldering a resistor + micro-switch parallel to each lipo-connection in your series harness and connect that to above voltage checker.

But you need a lipo-charger anyway. Most of them are capable of balancing cells, e.g. in 'storage mode'. Keeping non-used cells at storage voltage (about 3.8V) is recommended in any case. I use this one, but there a many good others:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7028

So why don't you use a series harness instead of parallel. Then you don't have to worry at all about different cell voltages. Just put them in the harness and connect it to the charger. It makes much more sense to me.

Martin
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:14 AM
Joined Jan 2013
12 Posts
Fly with timer sounds good to me, HB.
And thanks for the heads up of 20% difference voltages rule.

Quote:
So why don't you use a series harness instead of parallel. Then you don't have to worry at all about different cell voltages. Just put them in the harness and connect it to the charger. It makes much more sense to me.

It sounds better, but what is the setting of the charger would be for this series connection?
Am I right to assume that the series-charging time would be longer than in parallel?

Edit: Yes, I have the brand new Accucel 6 ready..
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:55 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
Regarding series charging, I'm not an expert, but I do remember reading about series vs parallel charging in a very well written thread on here some years ago. To my memory, there are a couple important considerations, and probably more than these:

1) In series charging, you must be balancing charging, not just charging. Further, this charger for example can only do 6s, so you are limited to charging 6 batteries
2) since the cells are in series, you will either have to have all 12 cells plugged in, or it is an open circuit and cannot be used.
3) All batteries have to be the same capacity for the charger to be able to balance them. I'm not 100% on this, but I believe if you have some drastically different pack sizes connected, it will be possible to overcharge some while undercharging others. At some point you will overwhelm the balancing capability of the charger.

Just some thoughts
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:29 PM
Wallop!
Bussum, Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
731 Posts
1) True, or you can use 'storage charging' which also balances your lipo's. Using a parallel harness is in fact also a form of balance charging although uncontrolled (depends on the lipos' voltage differences and internal resistances) and therefore unsafe. I always put my lipos on storage charge after flying. Before a new flying day I just normal charge them; initially the cells are balanced and that helps a lot. The A6 is indeed limited to 6 cells. Normally I charge empty lipos while flying full ones. If you're charging at home only then why don't you have two charge sessions? If time is your biggest problem then you could consider using multiple chargers.

2) I would build multiple series harnesses, e.g. 2s, 3s, 4s, 5s and 6s. This stuff is so cheap, it's not worth over thinking it.

3) True for chargers like the A6 as they have a single charging circuit; they use charging cycles in which the whole pack is charged, when needed with high power, and then discharge the higher cells to get cell balance. Some simpler, cheaper chargers use separate electronics for each cell which makes it possible to use different cells in series. But they can handle 2s and 3s lipos only.

But why use 12 1s lipos in the first place? A parallel pack can damage or destroy cells, perhaps that's why you need that many lipos But seriously, I only would use parallel charging if knowing for sure that all cells are initially balanced. For that you need an easy to use balancer, which leads me to a series harness. But then you don't need the parallel harness any more because after balancing your lipos you can charge them directly in series. Or even simpler, just hook the lipos and series harness up to your charger and do a balance- or storage-charge.

Martin
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:15 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,879 Posts
Are you sure that your chargers balance during storage charge mode? None of my chargers do such and doing so is unwise in my experience.

Charging multiple lipolys in parallel is generally far safer and wiser than attempting to charge in series.

See the following thread for a tremendous amount of information regarding charging multiple lipolys at the same time on single channel chargers:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=932319

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:22 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
Are you sure that your chargers balance during storage charge mode? None of my chargers do such and doing so is unwise in my experience.

Charging multiple lipolys in parallel is generally far safer and wiser than attempting to charge in series.

See the following thread for a tremendous amount of information regarding charging multiple lipolys at the same time on single channel chargers:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=932319

Mark
THAT's the thread! Thanks for the link
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:01 PM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptileman View Post
So how accurate does it balance the lipo cells?
Works good. No issues here and use as my primary charger.
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs