I would like to present the 2012 Eastern Soaring League DLG schedule:

May 19 '12 MARKS - Salisbury MD
June 2,3 '12 BASS - Timonium, MD
Jul 7,8 '12 CRRC Hand Launch Classic - Sudbury MA
Aug 4,5 '12 LISF Hand Launch Classic - Syosset NY
Aug 18,19 '12 CASA HLG - Rockville MD
Sep 15,16 '12 SKSS Hand Launch - Newark DE
Oct 6,7 '12 DESS HLG End of Season - Wilson NC

Unfortunately, BASS has decided to not host a contest this year. I only hope and pray that this is a temporary thing and that they will be offering a DLG contest in the near future.

BASS WILL BE HOSTING AN EVENT THIS YEAR!!! YIPPEE!!!

Registration is open for both BASS and MARKS, the first two ESL contests of the season
Registration is now open for nearly all hand launch contests!

If there is anyone looking to add to the schedule, please pass the word along and I will do what I can to help out.

Please contact myself or any of the ESL board to have your contest added. Also, please check out the new website at www.flyESL.com.

Save the dates guys!!!! Please support these contests.

Thank you.

Happy flying in 2012!

sincerely,
Frank Nisita
ESL Hand Launch Coordinator
fjn2bmd <at> hotmail <dot> com
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Last edited by Fly2High; Mar 22, 2012 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Added Bass to schedule
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2012, 04:34 PM
Duane
No. VA
Joined Nov 2004
1,361 Posts
I've got CASA on my calendar, but it looks likely that I won't be able to make it to any others. I was hoping that BASS would be my other DLG contest this year.
Wazmo is offline Find More Posts by Wazmo
Old Jan 09, 2012, 05:03 PM
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Feb 2007
568 Posts
Bass was canceled this year due to lack of manpower to run the contest. There are very few dlg guys in bass anymore and those of us that are want to fly. It's too bad. It also leaves a large hole in the schedule maybe those of us in the md area could run a more causal contest to fill the gap.

Austin
austinhlg is online now Find More Posts by austinhlg
Old Jan 09, 2012, 05:16 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,050 Posts
Austin,

I am sure that I can speak for the DLG community that if manpower was needed all they had to do is ask. I would be there and I am sure many others would have come to help out as well.

At the same token, I respect the decision (a difficult one at that) to cancel the contest. It will be sorely missed.

I am sure I speak for many that we all hope you reconsider if not this year then in the years to come.

If you ever need anything, just ask.....

Sincerely,
Frank Nisita
Old Jan 09, 2012, 08:25 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,412 Posts
There are enough DLG pilots in MD (I can name 7 other contest pilots with 5 seconds of thinking) to run another contest in the area. Just need to find a field and a score keeper. I'm more than willing to help with both of those tasks and all the other behind the scenes work. An earlier contest, say April, would be nice. The summer is pretty full between this list, York SC, The Bruce etc.

-Sam
samc99us is online now Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Jan 09, 2012, 08:50 PM
Germantown, Maryland
Joined Apr 2004
4,501 Posts
Maybe BASS would let the contest happen at their usual field if people from outside their club ran everything. I have the sound system that we use for the CASA F3K contest. I'd be happy to show up early enough to set that up. If Sam is volunteering to do the scoring, we're almost there. Just need someone to pretend to be contest director, that's a really small job for a moderate size F3K contest. Maybe someone to arrange lunches, or maybe just tell everybody to pack a lunch. That's the beauty of F3k, simple, simple, simple. Just show up and have fun.

More options for the field: Sounds like Sam has an idea, maybe a field in his neck of the woods. New F3K contest sites are always fun. CASA would probably let us have a second F3K contest at the Gude Drive field.
Phil Barnes is offline Find More Posts by Phil Barnes
Old Jan 10, 2012, 06:03 AM
Joined Feb 2007
568 Posts
I'm in Baltimore and could easily make lunch happen. I have sent an email out to see if we can use the field. The more contests the merrier.

Austin
Old Jan 10, 2012, 07:15 AM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,592 Posts
If the weekend works out right (one that I can travel) I'll do the scoring.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Jan 10, 2012, 07:37 AM
Joined Feb 2007
568 Posts
Then let's talk dates! I'm thinking April or June. (leaning towed April due to heat concerns in June) I will update this post as people post their preferance

April 21, 22
June 9, 10
June 16, 17

These seem to be the best dates for spacing relative to the established esl schedule, the Bruce and poway(thanks Tom).

Austin
Last edited by austinhlg; Jan 10, 2012 at 07:53 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 07:41 AM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,592 Posts
April 28,29 is IHLGF in Poway... probably not a good draw weekend for the top guys anyhow.

Other weekends look clearish so far.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Jan 10, 2012, 08:40 AM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,412 Posts
I would prefer April 14th-15th. This is the weekend after Easter but not so close to IHLGF to keep people away. I like the CASA field, that is close for many people. BASS fields sounds good too. I have a 3rd field in mind but it is a powered field and a bit more out of the way. I will need to organize that with the club, who may not wish to loose a weekend of flying. It is a great field, very, very large, tree lines on 3 sides, plenty of thermal action.

I can do the scoring or the CD'ing, but not both. If Phil can bring his sound system that would rock.

-Sam
samc99us is online now Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Jan 10, 2012, 09:46 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,050 Posts
Thanks guys. This sounds great!!!

Can we decide on a field and date first so that those who are thinking of volunteering will know the where and when to decide their availability.

Depending on the date, I should be able to help out as well.

Who will be in charge of sanctioning?

Will there be a fee to fly and who decides on how much?

Does the field have an usage fees we need to cover?

Will this be added to the ESL schedule or just left off as a fun fly/ tour event(should enough join)?

Frank
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:55 AM
United States, MD, Rockville
Joined Nov 2000
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinhlg View Post
Bass was canceled this year due to lack of manpower to run the contest. There are very few dlg guys in bass anymore and those of us that are want to fly. It's too bad. It also leaves a large hole in the schedule maybe those of us in the md area could run a more causal contest to fill the gap.

Austin
Sad about Bass hope some folk can pull it together. Winch soaring with the exception of HL and Electrics has dwindled in the Mid Atlantic area drasticly. But thats the subject for another topic

The BASS East Coast Hand Launch classic contest has some roots being the first HL contest on the east coast. This was followed up by Denny’s contest and CASAs contest in 98 I believe. Before the ESL warmed up to DLGs we use to have an East coast Triad where the scores were combined from all three events for a grand champion, think Phil won one year and Oleg the next.
CFrench is offline Find More Posts by CFrench
Last edited by CFrench; Jan 10, 2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 01:24 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,050 Posts
I can recall in the not too distant past that there were other contests in the ESL.

South Jersey, Polecat and now BASS have all been lost.

The last thing I want is to see a drop in contests in F3K in any region. To me, contests are a major draw for pilots to fly hand launch.

Thanks guys. Anything all of us can do to help add or support existing contests is much appreciated.

Sincerely,
Frank
Old Jan 10, 2012, 03:22 PM
United States, SC, Mt Pleasant
Joined Nov 2003
1,149 Posts
Perhaps what is needed is more single day smaller contests? In Seattle we rarely used a computer and never to keep score. A CD printing off an Excel spreadsheet to put on a piece of cardboard works great, with timers scoring each round. Its really pretty straight forward...kinda like bowling.....

James
hohensej is online now Find More Posts by hohensej
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Aerial Information