HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2013, 08:47 PM
Joined Nov 2012
7 Posts
Discussion
Castle 100 Amp/BEC

I don't have a ton of maintenance experience with electric jets just flying. I was flying my small 70mm Viper Jet when I heard 3 beeps from the plane and then I had no control as it then went in at 100mph plus. The plane had tons of flights on it. I had a 100 amp Castle speed controller in it with a Castle BEC. I was told that the chances of that speed controller going bad were almost impossible? I was also told if it did the BEC would let me still land. People said because I had no control that the BEC failed and some people don't trust the Castle BEC? I also checked the battery even though it was looking like it was sat on and it worked. Also when I plugged it in everything worked again like there was no problem. So it seems like a small electric glitch? Anyway I loved that jet and it flew great it is for the most part gone. It really sucks when you are watching it go in and have no control over what is going on. Any ideas on if these statements are true?
Thanks
Heliman4213 is offline Find More Posts by Heliman4213
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2013, 04:59 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,299 Posts
It’s always bad to have a crash and you don’t really know the cause.

It could have been many things, brownout, interference, loose connection, bad connector or switch. What radio do you have? What BEC voltage did you have set? Did motor power cut or did it stay at full throttle?

CC has had several versions of the BEC over the years. You may want to call tech support and see if your BEC needs to be upgraded.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Sep 30, 2013, 07:31 AM
nsg
Yardley, PA
Joined Sep 2006
4,122 Posts
There are many incorrect statements floating around as far as ICE controllers go. Castle hasn't exactly done a stellar PR job there.

There are unavoidable random failures that happen to electronic equipment. Castle controllers have had, on average, same - very low - failure rate as any other high-end brand.

Castle did have a run of ESC fires when one of their suppliers changed the spec on a component that go into ICE HV series. These were the legendary Castle fires. It took Castle a while to sort that out, but they did sort it out. In any case, that affected the HV line only.

The problem with regular ICE controllers is that its BEC is 5A peak, not sustained, esp. on higher voltage. Sustained is about 3A. That caused a few brownouts - I almost lost a plane because of that.

At the moment, there is no known reason to be afraid of Castle controllers.

Sorry to hear about your crash. I would find out what these three beeps mean - if memory serves, signal loss, but I could be wrong.
nsg is offline Find More Posts by nsg
Old Sep 30, 2013, 05:30 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,034 Posts
Brownout???

What brand radio system are you flying?

If Spektrum, then the HOLD LED would have been lit had the BEC failed and/or loss of signal for any reason.

If not Spektrum, then any telemetry info available that was not destroyed?

A shame, but good that you are searching for the answer(s).

Michael
Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515