HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 22, 2013, 03:14 PM
Lets get the HUEY up
bolton england
Joined Jan 2009
234 Posts
Build Log
Airwolf & Seaking mods

Not happy with the look of the cowel / intake on my 500 airwolf time to get the plasticard out
made some templates bonded them on then coverd with 25g lightweight cloth soaked in resin , very light and strong finished in primer and ready for paint , i have removed the raised section on the nose getting ready for a new coast guard paint job , all taped up ready for 1st colour . ( i know its not true scale but i like the look on an airwolf body)got hold of some better landing gear with suspension
EDIT- fitted the new suspension , the clamping bolts on the legs they did not grip very well so i have drilled a small hole and fitted 3mm grub screw it locks solid and the suspension works very well ,
the locking mechanism is very good it locks in the up and down position i have made longer pivot arms at the front to give me more than 90 degrees on the rear legs to get the wheels up out of sight and fitted locking plates to hold the wheels firm when down . i have used the front set of pivot arms on the rear to double up and give better clamping pressure no chance of slipping now,
before the new paint job i fitted twin 5v fans and covered the side windows to see if everything would still keep cool - works well and takes very little current ,fitted the AR7200BX flybarless unit up front for easy adjustment , pics 17 / 18 show before / after pics looks a lot better with the shorter main shaft and DFC head ,
Made an "airfix" style stand for working on it ( floats about on the suspension when sat on its wheels) i also keep it on that when not in use , made out of 1/2" thick perspex and polished alloy with clear soft rubber base pads and top section

EDIT 2 ......
time to start my new project , 500 Seaking

My Monster 5 blade head turned up in the post it looks great a "work of art" ,
Just picked up the perfect doner from ebay a HK gt500 fitted with all Align parts BL500MX motor ,align ESC, Align digital servo's, PRO carbon side frames ,helical gears everything i need for less than half the price of a PRO
got some "high lift" SPIN Asymmetrical rotor blades they are bit longer (435) and much thinner and more scale like
The kit come with belt drive tail parts i wanted to make torque tube drive i have had to cut the tube section between the 45 gearbox to tail and shorten the drive shaft (i have now taken another 20mm off both sholders so i can raise the tail a bit to make more room for linkages since this pic)
main frame and torque tube fitted easy to install just fit the frame then slide the complete boom in from the rear and tighten the clamping bolts through side door , had a spare tail boom perfect size for exhaust outlets , head looked too much "bling" in silver looks much better in black with yellow head button ,
painted and fitted the thin scale Asymmetrical blades and good news they fold up almost like the full size one just heed to make a blade caddy to support them in the closed position for transport ,

bit more done today
madphil is offline Find More Posts by madphil
Last edited by madphil; Jan 05, 2014 at 05:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2013, 04:09 PM
Lets get the HUEY up
bolton england
Joined Jan 2009
234 Posts
needed some dome / porthole style windows for the rear windows got some modeling clay and pressed a large ball bearing into it then let it cure , i cut a section of clear plastic drink bottle placed on the mold and left in oven for 10 mins (when the wife's not at home ) , leave to cool and you get a perfect flat window with nice dome in the centre
i have fitted dark brown smoked film to the back and fitted in the fuselage
Last edited by madphil; Nov 11, 2013 at 06:19 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 04:13 PM
Maple Ridge B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2006
40 Posts
Hi Madphil,

Where did you get the SeaKing fuselage? Been looking around for one but most places are out of stock. Just-Heli has them but not sure about their quality.

Terry
stinker is offline Find More Posts by stinker
Old Nov 13, 2013, 07:04 PM
Lets get the HUEY up
bolton england
Joined Jan 2009
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinker View Post
Hi Madphil,

Where did you get the SeaKing fuselage? Been looking around for one but most places are out of stock. Just-Heli has them but not sure about their quality.

Terry
i was very lucky to spot one on ebay ,
have seen them on http://www.sportsmoto.co.uk/acatalog..._Rex_500_.html , not cheap but you can see theres a lot of work molding the fuselage looks like its made in 5 sections then joined together,comes with retractable alloy landing gear and all the ply parts very well made .
Last edited by madphil; Nov 13, 2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 10:52 AM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Dec 2009
1,039 Posts
Very nice i Love the color Scheme on the Wolf!!!
Bad Creation is offline Find More Posts by Bad Creation