HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2014, 06:00 AM
Canada, ON, London
Joined May 2011
1,488 Posts
Thanks dl7. Those pics are great and show plenty of detail.

I'm wondering how you find flying behind the dome? Any glare / parallax issues?

Thanks,
Jason.
uberjay is offline Find More Posts by uberjay
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2014, 06:28 AM
dl7
Germany, Berlin
Joined Aug 2013
106 Posts
Thanks Jason,
yes, I see glare, the dome is sometimes dirty, mine has even scratches, but I dont care.
The reeason is, that without the dome the camera would be exposed to the environment. If you watch some of my other YT vids, some flights were in clouds, sometimes I even got into rain on a return flight. In such cases I was happy, that my camera was protected by the dome. Landing in gras, a bush or touching other things could easily destroy an uncovered camera. So I am more afraid of loosing my camera than some minor bad influences on picture quality, which is`nt so good anyway.
As a consequence of all that I decided to have the sony fpv cam behind the dome. I can see the landscape and more important my OSD data.
For making nice looking movies of my flights, I plan to use a mobius, (which I just bought) and which I am going to mount on different safe parts of the plane (still thinking where).
My GoPro (which is more expensive) I only use on copters.
So, thats how I see it at the moment.
dl7
P.S. I dont have parallaxis, because the lens is very close to the dome, Thats also a reason why dirt and scratches in other parts of it are`nt really disturbing me.
dl7 is offline Find More Posts by dl7
Old Jun 25, 2014, 06:38 AM
Canada, ON, London
Joined May 2011
1,488 Posts
Sweet, thanks for the quick reply. I'm only just getting my feet wet with FPV and I do have the same plane. I have a Mobius as my recording & FPV cam and for now have mounted it on the canopy (fixed with no pan). It was too long to mount behind the dome without hacking the front of the plane. I'm debating whether to get a CCD board cam like you have and mounting it in the dome or just doing what I've been doing.

As I've been pondering the cost of doing that I'd heard from some that domes and such can have visual issues. That's why I was asking you about your experiences. So I do appreciate hearing what you had to day.

Cheers,
J
Old Jul 04, 2014, 08:54 AM
Philippines, Central Luzon, Marilao
Joined Jun 2008
524 Posts
Hi guys I am about to maiden my skyeye and I am at aroun 1300g in AUW. Do you thing the motor and esc can handle it?

I have apm stuff and a 3300mah 3s lipo on it all stock for the plane
rukie is offline Find More Posts by rukie
Old Jul 04, 2014, 09:48 AM
Greece, Attica, Ellinikon
Joined Jan 2014
270 Posts
Definitely. Don't worry about it.
It can very easily be thrown by hand with a 5000mah 3s lipo and mobius camera.
giteart is offline Find More Posts by giteart
Old Jul 04, 2014, 09:56 AM
Canada, ON, London
Joined May 2011
1,488 Posts
Yeah... don't expect it to take off of grass with the weight, but a hand toss is no prob. If you're worried, just drop the flaps some for the extra lift ;-).

Cheers,
J