HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:07 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,985 Posts
sepcter

My Burky II has a 200 watt Hacker motor on it and it flies just fine at 22 ounces. That equates to 143 watts per pound. Sounds like a lot, but with all that drag of pulling those blades through the air it works out very well. My 3s 1300 barely gets warm. It was in the upper 80s the last time I flew it and the battery, upon landing, was at 108 degrease. My speed controller gets a bit warmer though so I may add a little air scoop on the fuselage side to get a bit more air into the battery compartment. I have two 1/4" holes in the firewall to let in some cooling air and two 1/4" holes in the mast former for heat to exit the battery box. In hot weather, I may need a bit more air in there.

How much does the little Burky weigh? Tom
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:22 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,828 Posts
Perhaps, just opening up the exhaust holes more would help. As I am sure you know, the "rule of thumb" is three times the size of the inlet for the exhaust...

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:25 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,791 Posts
Kevin,
I like it and also started making a smaller version for indoors, though it has stalled for some time along with a small pusher. The indoor season will soon be upon us so I may well start playing again.

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:33 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,985 Posts
I know Steve, but I was afraid of weakening the rotor shaft former by drilling so many holes in it. That is why my mast former is balsa and 1/16" plywood. It's strong and quite light.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:36 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,828 Posts
Good reason Tom!!

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:17 AM
MULTI ENGINE FANACTIC
SAO PAULO,S.P.,BRAZIL
Joined Dec 2000
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeLandings View Post
Just PM me and I can sort you out, though, not for a few days. No point me adding more to Ebay.

Rich

RICH :

Ive sent a private message asking for a set of Burky II plans , but RC Groups send me this message:

SafeLandings has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Could you please send me your email or another contact option, I REALLY WANT this plans

Best,
Cesar Nogueira
CESARNOGUEIRA is offline Find More Posts by CESARNOGUEIRA
Old Sep 11, 2013, 04:33 PM
Flashmeister Aviation Inc
Joined Aug 2005
3,138 Posts
Loving the micro / nano stuff !!!
MrFlash is offline Find More Posts by MrFlash
Old Sep 12, 2013, 04:07 AM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,682 Posts
This is the way that I have vented the ESC and Lipo.
Chris...
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Sep 12, 2013, 08:36 AM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,985 Posts
I made that same opening in my firewall but when I went to glue in the battery compartment floor I realized it blocked all of that opening so I covered it up and drilled four 1/4" holes in the firewall on either side of the motor high enough to get air into the battery/esc compartment. Then I made two 1/4" holes in the mast former (balsa sandwich) to let the air out, but my esc and lipos still get fairly warm. It's not all that warm but warmer than I am use to. It gets hot here in NC this time of year so that isn't helping the situation.. I think I need more exit holes to let the air out. Tom
Old Sep 12, 2013, 07:40 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,682 Posts
I did not make the battery platform start from the front bulkhead and so it allows the lipo to stand vertically behind the air inlet....very cool....
Chris
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Sep 19, 2013, 07:34 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,985 Posts
How do you guys fasten the wheel pants to the axle. I made my pants the other night and now need to fasten them to the landing gear. Do you solder on a piece of flat brass and then bolt the pants to that or just hot glue them on. I have about a dozen flights on mine so far and it flies great. Flops over on takeoff or landings once in a while but the blades just fold up and no damage done. Here is video of mine flying for inspirational purposes for those starting to build one.
Toms Autogyro (2 min 58 sec)
Tom
Old Sep 20, 2013, 05:47 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Apr 2013
145 Posts
I have one in progress. What glue for the mast, epoxy or Uhu Por? Nice plans, they are so big I have to lay them out on the lounge room floor, but they work well and should be framed and hung up on the wall they look so good.

Edit: I forgot two more questions - from where does one get 2mm pushrods to link to the rotor head, does it need to be threaded at the ends; and what size fishing line for the rudder (1lb/2lb/5lb)?
Ian444 is offline Find More Posts by Ian444
Last edited by Ian444; Sep 20, 2013 at 07:34 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 02:38 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,985 Posts
I used epoxy for the mast and firewall, everything else was hot glued in. I just used 2/56 threaded rods from my LHS for the rotor tilt servos and 40lb test Spider Wire for the pull pull rudder. Spider Wire is a fishing line for bass fishing and it doesn't stretch. I just wrap and tie it off at the ends and put a drop of thin cya on it. It has never come loose on me.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 04:31 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,791 Posts
Ian,
Glad to hear the plans arrived safely and that you are happy with them,I put a lot of time into them. Just out f interest there is anther chap called Tim about to start building one to 'down under'.
I used epoxy as well, but not to much as you don't want to add dead weight. As with any flying machine, the lighter the better.

Please keep us informed of your progress.

Regards

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Sep 22, 2013, 12:35 AM
gyrobeetim
Australia, NSW, Port Macquarie
Joined Oct 2009
111 Posts
Burky Mk2 build down under...........with a twist

Hello Rich , guy's. Rich hint taken . As Rich has said previously i have a set of Burky plans and have started the build. My build is going to be a little different to the norm on this model and by that i mean it will be built out of balsa and 1.5mm ply , why i hear you ask, well i couldn't get the plain 6mm depron foam all i could get was the 5mm quill board with the heavy paper coating. I basicaly was not happy with the cut out parts i had chunks of small foam missing where there should have been nice cuts and yes i did use new blades. I even tried soaking the second sheet in water over night and although i did manage to peel off the paper it left the foam sheeting looking tatty with yellow discoloration to it so i decided not to use it and to rethink my build. Yes i am embarrassed as how hard can cutting foam be . So, i studied the plans carefully and decided to go the traditional approach with balsa and ply . So with that in mind i will leave it up to you guy's if there is enough interest do you want me to do a full seperate build thread with pictures of everything used in the build plus i will provide a step by step build sequence and explain what i am doing and why ,This may assist those who may be thinking of trying gyros . i will provide a flight report with pictures of it's maiden flight or do you want just a flight report with out all the above as this model has been out for a while now with numerous models built and i would hope Rich has received the feed back needed from those builds so, i am happy too do either i will leave it up to you guy's. where i am up to at the moment is I have everything except the servos which will arrive from HK this week , all parts have been cut out and sanded but i havn't taken any pictures as yet as i will check in later to see what the response has been. regards Tim.
gyrobeetim is offline Find More Posts by gyrobeetim