578 Posts
Thanks
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:08 PM
BldrFlyr
Joined Jan 2012
87 Posts
What size vtx and antennae to use on Zephyr?

I'm building up a Zypher II and wondering what antennae and size vtx to mount on it? I'd like to use my current 1258 fpv gear which is comprised of a bluebeam and crosshair antennae and (2) 1258 vrx's. I was thinking of using a 800mW vtx? but not sure what size/power is best. Regarding the antennae, they say the bluebeam whip can go up to 80mph. Maybe that's the one to use? Not sure what other good options I have using a RHCP setup...

I do have my original whip, 8bdi patch and a Vee antennae if that was a better way to go? For the time being, I'll be using a DX8 tx and ar8000 rx so I can't travel too far yet. In the future, I'll do a UHF setup.

Thanks guys,

CD
Fstclyz is offline Find More Posts by Fstclyz
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:44 PM
United States, IA, Mason City
Joined Oct 2008
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstclyz View Post
I'm building up a Zypher II and wondering what antennae and size vtx to mount on it? I'd like to use my current 1258 fpv gear which is comprised of a bluebeam and crosshair antennae and (2) 1258 vrx's. I was thinking of using a 800mW vtx? but not sure what size/power is best. Regarding the antennae, they say the bluebeam whip can go up to 80mph. Maybe that's the one to use? Not sure what other good options I have using a RHCP setup...

I do have my original whip, 8bdi patch and a Vee antennae if that was a better way to go? For the time being, I'll be using a DX8 tx and ar8000 rx so I can't travel too far yet. In the future, I'll do a UHF setup.

Thanks guys,

CD
I would not use the whip version, it bends way before 80mph - and even if it really was 80 the Zephyr easily goes above that in many cases. The non-whip version works fine. If you want to, add a low pass filter to add some height and still be stiff. I prefer the circular due to the better clarity when flying low, but the V would be more aerodynamic and might give less drop out when doing rolls right above your location. I've got a V on my Stryker and it works great.

800mw will work fine. I use 1500mw and ended up taking off the low pass because it wasn't needed. If you use 2.4Ghz control though it would be a requirement. Even then, that spectrum system is going to kill your Zephyr >< Even within visual range. For every "I succeeded doing 1 mile once!" story there is a follow-up of "I lost the plane cause I used spectrum to do FPV "
Acorns is offline Find More Posts by Acorns
Old Jun 28, 2012, 04:41 PM
BldrFlyr
Joined Jan 2012
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acorns View Post
I would not use the whip version, it bends way before 80mph - and even if it really was 80 the Zephyr easily goes above that in many cases. The non-whip version works fine. If you want to, add a low pass filter to add some height and still be stiff. I prefer the circular due to the better clarity when flying low, but the V would be more aerodynamic and might give less drop out when doing rolls right above your location. I've got a V on my Stryker and it works great.

800mw will work fine. I use 1500mw and ended up taking off the low pass because it wasn't needed. If you use 2.4Ghz control though it would be a requirement. Even then, that spectrum system is going to kill your Zephyr >< Even within visual range. For every "I succeeded doing 1 mile once!" story there is a follow-up of "I lost the plane cause I used spectrum to do FPV "
I'm a bit new to this so thanks. What kind of low pass filter and how? Do you have any pics? I'm using 1258 from ReadymadeRC w/o any OSD so I'll try and limit my range.

Maybe I'll stick to LOS with the Spectrum stuff..... On that note, any quick advice on what long range tx/rx to get? I see there's a repeater now available for my current stuff:

http://www.fpvmanuals.com/2012/05/29...e-com-preview/

I'd rather buy good stuff the 1st time around and what I've seen is Dragon link and TBS's new LR TX. I need my Spektrum from my quads and heli's so would it be best to buy another tx just for long range. Thanks !

CD
Fstclyz is offline Find More Posts by Fstclyz
Old Jun 28, 2012, 05:28 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2012
4 Posts
hehe i have the dipole with the yellow bands on the top and at full speed it lays down, i even put a support behid it and it still goes to 45*, good news i have a V in the mail
slowsticknoobie is offline Find More Posts by slowsticknoobie
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:13 PM
Canada, AB, Jasper
Joined Feb 2007
474 Posts
Hey guys.
I'm new to the ZII and wings. I just finished the build and it went ok I guess.
The lam just about killed me, but i made it through it.
I didnt go to crazy as I have to learn to walk before I can fly if you know what I mean.
I need some set up info.
I have all linkages in the lowest servo/control hole without hitting the wing its self.
Right now the throw is max without binding. The top is about the same as the bottom. I asume this is too much ?
I have a 9c and have it set to the wing. Can someone give me some setting to play with. Like expo and diff.
The expo is a 90 and the diff is at 100. This makes the control surfaces bind when the stick is in a corner but this could be from me have max throw.
Can someone help a guy out ?
My dog said put the batteries here. So i did.

zooman is offline Find More Posts by zooman
Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:21 PM
Joined Dec 2010
788 Posts
I'm really diggin the ZII cut out on the hatch!
NICE!!! I'm gonna have to steel that idea!

KFM
drumbum961 is offline Find More Posts by drumbum961
Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:25 PM
never mind the boll⁣⁣⁣ocks
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
set the trows by putting a ruler on the tip of the elevon, it should move about 10mm up and 10mm down for elevator, and 15mm up and 15mm down for ailerons.

for starters trim the elevons flat with the top of the airfoil, then a few mm of up reflex.

i like expo at about 60% and i dont use dual rates. it really is all personal prefrence though.

put the pushrod in the highest hole in the elevon horn for maximum servo resolution.
brosius85 is offline Find More Posts by brosius85
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:39 AM
Canada, AB, Jasper
Joined Feb 2007
474 Posts
brosius85 you the man. Thank you sir.

drumbum961 Thanks. Steal away. I covered the z in clear hing tape to make it stronger. I figure the two I's are good enough for air flow.
zooman is offline Find More Posts by zooman
Old Jun 29, 2012, 06:06 PM
United Kingdom, England, Cambs
Joined Jun 2009
101 Posts
Gents, what angle do you all set your camera to, can't find much info on this, pics would be great.

I'm gonna set my gopro in its case as I don't fancy smashing it to bits or scratching the lens, my fpv cam will sit next to it.

Any advice?
flyn is offline Find More Posts by flyn
Old Jun 29, 2012, 06:34 PM
never mind the boll⁣⁣⁣ocks
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
i set it straight ahead. depends on how you are going to fly. if you are doing a lot of altitude you might want want to angle it down a bit
brosius85 is offline Find More Posts by brosius85
Old Jun 29, 2012, 06:57 PM
United Kingdom, England, Cambs
Joined Jun 2009
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosius85 View Post
i set it straight ahead. depends on how you are going to fly. if you are doing a lot of altitude you might want want to angle it down a bit
Cool, cheers for the reply, I had considered a slight downward tilt due to the way cameras tend to expose for the average lighting conditions in the image, under exposing the ground. Have you ever found that an issue with a camera positioned straight ahead?
flyn is offline Find More Posts by flyn
Old Jun 29, 2012, 09:35 PM
team n00b - captain
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2011
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev.au View Post
Hey thanks man.

2x RMRC 3300 4s from ReadyMadeRC, 60 amp plush ESC, Hyperion Zs 3014-12, 9x7 folding prop. AUW is at 2.4kg and this set-up produces 700watts @ just under 50 amps. Got a solid 20min flight with ALOT of full throttle runs. Motor/prop was recommended by Sander.

heheh was a ZII i was chasing running a 3s set-up, that was my first time trying formation, it's harder then it looks!.
hey kev - my ZII is just about done - i'm running almost the same setup with the same hyperion motor, but have a 10x7 prop ... think that's too much?
gitcho is online now Find More Posts by gitcho
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:39 PM
Mt Tamborine, Queensland, Australia
Joined May 2008
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyn View Post
Cool, cheers for the reply, I had considered a slight downward tilt due to the way cameras tend to expose for the average lighting conditions in the image, under exposing the ground. Have you ever found that an issue with a camera positioned straight ahead?
I'm positioning mine straight ahead but with a mount that will enable me to angle it downward if required.

I've also finished 3/4 of the laminating and it wasn't all that difficult after all. I was concerned that the heat of the iron might cause problems with the foam melting but that didn't end up being a problem. I tested to see how firmly the laminate adheres on one of the wing tip ends and it's holding very firmly.
tobermei is offline Find More Posts by tobermei
Old Jun 30, 2012, 04:14 AM
T_A
Joined Dec 2010
18 Posts
Iv sees picutres of people doing it both ways, but what is the proper way to mount the elevons?

they can create 90 degree angel or if i turn them upside down they get an angel into the wing

Name: elevons.png
Views: 89
Size: 11.3 KB
Description:
T_A is offline Find More Posts by T_A