HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:50 PM
Joined Dec 2012
9 Posts
Will current owners be able to upgrade vs pay full price for the improved model?
nyccar is offline Find More Posts by nyccar
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:04 PM
Saskatoon, Canada
Joined Jan 2003
2,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccar View Post
Will current owners be able to upgrade vs pay full price for the improved model?
We can do firmware updates wirelessly on the ZenWheels. It's quite nice that way. This is Free to our customers and automatic if you simply update the ZenWheels app on the App Store.

As for plastics or spare parts, or hop up parts, different top covers, wheels and rubber, we would sell those separately and make some simple videos to show people how to do a take apart and re-assembly.
Plantraco is offline Find More Posts by Plantraco
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:34 PM
Joined Dec 2012
9 Posts
Great news!
nyccar is offline Find More Posts by nyccar
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:27 PM
United States, MI, Lapeer
Joined Aug 2000
759 Posts
ATT: Plantraco

I just fired off a large e-mail (to the links on your website) about the Zen Wheels and various info and questions regarding them, and sales of them.

One part of the e-mail I am offering to help operate a booth at the Detroit Autoshow to help sell a bunch of these things should be good for 100-1000 sales! But it may be too late to get space! although this thing does not need much!!!
Draconious is offline Find More Posts by Draconious
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:25 PM
Saskatoon, Canada
Joined Jan 2003
2,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconious View Post

I just fired off a large e-mail (to the links on your website) about the Zen Wheels and various info and questions regarding them, and sales of them.

One part of the e-mail I am offering to help operate a booth at the Detroit Autoshow to help sell a bunch of these things should be good for 100-1000 sales! But it may be too late to get space! although this thing does not need much!!!
Email Replied to.

You are a go getter, and yeah there are great opportunities for easy sales with these. When people see them in real life they smile and freak out. Not with their jaws on the floor like they used to do with the Butterfly and Carbon Butterfly, but to the point that they know they want one of those ZenWheels Micro Cars.

Passers by can see how quiet they run, and how full of amusing features, and how precisely they can maneuver around the ketchup bottle and salt and pepper. It's something you can R/C that doesn't disturb people sitting next to you at all, the sound is really minimal. Unless you turn the sirens on I guess haha.

Everyone wants to have one in their pocket as a pastime at restaurants once they see the fun you are having.

I think you will have a good time showing the product, I think you'll have em 3 deep around your booth.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:28 PM
Saskatoon, Canada
Joined Jan 2003
2,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconious View Post

You gotta do it now that I think about it.

I mean that's a Father and Son show, and auto related and a very unique type of R/C car.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:12 AM
Joined Aug 2000
759 Posts
Since the detroit show already started (I thought I had a week), and they do not apear to allow vendors, I will have to wait until March for the BIG AutoRama classic and custom car show, with the massive Toy-O-Rama toy show in the basement at the same time...

I noticed the car can count laps with a check point card that comes with the car.
Is this, or can this be linked up and shared with other drivers cars/device to actually create a race, with a defined winner?

What is the sensor? a magnet or light sensor? or how is it detecting the check point card?
Just wondering if it is possible to do different types of check points, like seperate start, finish, pit stalls, time gates, car-sumo rings, and maybe car-hockey goals.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:13 PM
Joined Aug 2000
759 Posts
Google answers all questions: the sensor is a reed switch of sorts that detects magnets

So alternative sensor types would have to be something like a double or triple magnet, to act like a double or triple mouse click.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:29 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,041 Posts
Yes magnetic sensor
Works well
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:35 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,041 Posts
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantraco View Post
If you are into climbing, or you feel like you just do not need the safety clutch mechanism, you can defeat it by drilling an access hole in the propulsion gearbox housing and glueing it up with some CA. Use kicker, or let the glue set for a while.

After the modification, you will be able to climb steep hills or pull a trailer.

It's fairly simple I think, watch the video:

http://youtu.be/00ZP_Fr3MRc
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:25 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,041 Posts
Any updates?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:52 PM
Saskatoon, Canada
Joined Jan 2003
2,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
Any updates?
New app update should be coming available "soon" from the App Store. It was submitted today - maybe it will go online in 24 hours or up to 7 days from now I am guessing.

New app has a firmware payload that you can use to update firmware of your ZenWheels Micro Car. The new firmware enables enhanced precision steering. I'd like to hear what you think of it.

Android App will be ready by the end of February - possibly sooner.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:41 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,041 Posts
Ok thanks for update

I'll try it when it becomes available
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:38 PM
Joined Aug 2000
759 Posts
Android being able to do more, means it takes longer to program for all those extra combinations of possibilities... just be glad he is not just "porting"the iOS app over to android, or it would be full of silly bugs. Instead he is having his dev team start over to make a fresh app.

The FirmWare update apears to have come online today. I just updated my 5 Zen Wheels cars.

They are easyer to drive at higher speeds now. It feels like there was some sort of throttle/steering mixing done in this version, as it apears to adjust the steering sensitivity as per how fast it is going.... but maybe that is just how it seems.

The steering updates more often, in smaller increments, and is now faster. This makes it sooo much easier to drive. It also pretty much got rid of all the clicking sounds my servos were making.

I am working on making a custom (4x12 foot) track for my Zen Wheels, and I can actually stay on the track now with this firmware update. (Will post more on the track later).

However the faster servo updates are also amplyfing a new problem I have just developed since this udpate in one of my cars, the steering now gitters like crazy, and the more I use it the worse it is getting. I am assuming the steering sensor/potentiometer/variable resistor is dirty on this car, even though it has not been used much. I am going to try to clean it/electric lube it to see if it improves anything.

Also, instead of the clicking sound you can now hear the servo motor whirr.

Overall, it is much better now.

Now I need to find some cheap iOS devices for each car... or I guess android if I wait a month.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:46 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,041 Posts
I have a updated car to test and review which should be here soon.

I also found some new rubber for it today which will be a side project that I am looking forward to doing