SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Mar 10, 2012, 06:24 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
Discussion
Castle Creations.. Recalls, failures, and customer service.. What do you think?

Ok guys it's time to give castle a chance to speak up!! If you don't know it already? Many of the castle ESC's have been recalled, and legitimately deemed flawed, and dangerous.. I would like to share my experiences, and hear yours..

I've been flying for five years, and sadly have had more bad luck with castle than good? I started running a new ice HV80 in my 78" EF on 12s.. It seemed to work fine, but when castle setup the recall program I saw that my ESC was on it.. It seemed like a good program? You first need to order a new Hv2 ESC, but at checkout they have you setup a exchange Purchase order, Include the pappier work with your used ESC , and return it all to castle via registered mail.. Great! Sounded good to me! After filling out the purchase order, I felt secure that castle was only taking returns if they had ESC's to send.. The websight did say "in stock"...

I mailed of my ESC, grounding my largest, and only big plane.. After a month I decided to send a Email, questioning when I might get my ESC back? I received a generic email that stated they would return emails within two to three days.. There was no response, so Two weeks later I sent another email, but this time the web store was shut down?!?! After calling the repair department I also received a generic message, that basically had a very nice lady's voice, that tells you "all is well, Were just a bit backed up".. Now the web store has been down for two weeks, there not returning any emails or calls, and there is no way to actually speak with a Rep..

To top it all off!! I just purchased a indoor foamy kit from fancy foam.. When picking components I went with the best, right? So I ordered the Thunder bird9 that fancy foam had in stock. When building my new fancy foam AJ Osiris, the new castle TB9 ESC's BEC doesn't work properly! Upon further investigation I found the TB9 is on a separate recall list, and I can't even send it in for replacement, because the store is closed.. At this point I removed a $10. ESC from one of my beat up epp planes and installed it in my new FF Osiris..

I will tell you that last night I finally found a shop that has HV2 120esc's and HV2 80 ESC's in stock.. I ordered a new hv2 120 Ice ESC..Hopefully this one will work! When I finally get the 80 V2 back, it will be for sale..

Recall includes all Ice HV series, including Mamba ESC, thunder bird 9, and many more!!

Note: this is not an attack thread! I seriously, want to start a thread where people can discuss there issues, good bad indifferent..
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Last edited by Ducati Mechanic; Mar 10, 2012 at 09:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2012, 09:51 AM
Hurst, Texas USA
Joined Jan 2002
706 Posts
The only Castle product I am using is the stand alone 10 amp BEC. I have had no problems with it, but should I be worried ?

That one is in a very labor intesive build, and failure is not an option !

Anyone following this know if their problems are limited to ESCs only ?
RPatrick is offline Find More Posts by RPatrick
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:00 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,441 Posts
Castle Creations actually have a forum on RCGroups in the - Vendors area -

http://www.rcgroups.com/castle-creations-168/

Where at least they can answer any queries.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:23 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrick View Post
The only Castle product I am using is the stand alone 10 amp BEC. I have had no problems with it, but should I be worried ?

That one is in a very labor intesive build, and failure is not an option !

Anyone following this know if their problems are limited to ESCs only ?
As far as I know the Thunder bird10 is a good esc, that replaces the faulty TB9 that I have..
Old Mar 10, 2012, 03:32 PM
Retired RC Flyer
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2008
220 Posts
Had 3 of my HV's replaced. No problems at all. Was able to get through to Castle's Tech with no problem. Castle faced up to their problem and replaced all defective ESC's as quickly as they could. Try to do that with some other companies I could name!

I know of many others that had the same good luck with Castle.
Chuck
clt12981 is offline Find More Posts by clt12981
Old Mar 10, 2012, 03:34 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clt12981 View Post
Had 3 of my HV's replaced. No problems at all. Was able to get through to Castle's Tech with no problem. Castle faced up to their problem and replaced all defective ESC's as quickly as they could. Try to do that with some other companies I could name!

I know of many others that had the same good luck with Castle.
Chuck

thats good to know chuck.. maybe the websight will reopen some time soon, and ill recieve my hv80 back sooner rather than later.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 12:30 AM
United States, WI, Chetek
Joined Jul 2011
505 Posts
This whole subject has been hotly debated over at Helifreak.

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=329932

There is another huge thread over there I thought but I cant find it tonight.

I plan on installing two ICE 75s in my latest project (I know they are not HV).

I have been using an 85HV in my T-Rex 600 for a few years now. No problems.
JurassicJet is offline Find More Posts by JurassicJet
Old Mar 11, 2012, 04:41 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
I also remember ordering a castle version, Berg mini stamp4 RX,that was bad new, and needed to go in for repair..Honestly I've purchased four castle products, two were bad new, and two were on recall lists? My BEC pro works fine!

I'm hoping the new V2 HV 120 will be a upgraded unit..
Old Mar 12, 2012, 05:57 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
I just received another generic message from Castle that says there app. Four weeks behind the estimate of four to six weeks, and there's no estimate on ESC arrival time!!

In short, were looking at three months minimum(I've heard thus from other people), and there's no way to send in my other broken ESC..

If it takes three months to receive a new or repaired ESC, most people will miss 1/2 of there flying season. I'm sorry but this is not exceptable.. These esc's are $200.-$300 New, and most people I've spoke with can't afford to just purchase a backup like I did..
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:20 PM
United States, TX, McKinney
Joined Oct 2007
39 Posts
I just heard from someone that Castle isn't extending the warranties on returned units. So if they had it for 6 months then we only get a 6 month warranty?? That's bull.
oscarel is online now Find More Posts by oscarel
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:11 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
I'm not sure about all that? When I sent my HV80 In for the hv2 upgrade, the recall clearly stated, that they will be replacing all of the recalled HV ECU's due to faulty parts..

If you have proof of that statement? please post a link..
Old Mar 14, 2012, 07:01 AM
United States, TX, McKinney
Joined Oct 2007
39 Posts
If they respond to my email I will.
oscarel is online now Find More Posts by oscarel
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:26 PM
Joined Jan 2010
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarel View Post
If they respond to my email I will.
I thought it was just because I was overseas. If I had known they are treating customers like this I would not have sent it back!
xpeter is offline Find More Posts by xpeter
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:23 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
My new HV2 120(the one I payed for)should arrive tomorrow.. At least I'll have my 78" EF Extra back in the line up.. I'll try to forget about the HV80(avoiding aggravation), and when it finally shows I'll sell it to replenish some RC money.. Now I've spent over $400.00 on Castle ESC's for one plane!
Old Mar 15, 2012, 07:46 PM
Joined Jan 2010
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Semeraro View Post
My new HV2 120(the one I payed for)should arrive tomorrow.. At least I'll have my 78" EF Extra back in the line up.. I'll try to forget about the HV80(avoiding aggravation), and when it finally shows I'll sell it to replenish some RC money.. Now I've spent over $400.00 on Castle ESC's for one plane!
Well it looks like I'm done for this year waiting for Castle.
xpeter is offline Find More Posts by xpeter
Closed Thread